U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Christian seeking resources to move from New York City to rural New York or PA, information on rentals, apartments, trailers, mobile home communities, close to mountains

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,975 times

Advertisements

Anyone have advice or resources I can turn to, to help me move from the suburban part of NYC to rural living? Preferrably in PA or upstate NY. Would like to rent a house, mobile home alone or in a community, or apartment. Like to live close to the mountains. Any Christians have same idea you can contact me.

Last edited by josym; 11-30-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:55 AM

31,154 posts, read 50,341,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josym View Post
Anyone have advice or resources I can turn to, to help me move from the suburban part of NYC to rural living? Preferrably in PA or upstate NY. Would like to rent a house, mobile home alone or in a community, or apartment. Like to live close to the mountains. Any Christians have same idea you can contact me.
Mod cut-inappropriate

You live on Staten island. You are not in the suburbs.

One aspect of urban life is the dependence on municipal services. Urbanites need someone to filter and treat their potable water.
Urbanites need someone to treat their sewage.
Urbanites need someone to drive them to work.
Urbanites need someone to find them a home.
Urbanites become very needy, and all of that need drives up taxes. Every service provided by a municipality is being paid for by taxes.

Rural folk are not dependent on municipal services.

Rural folk do not need someone to filter and treat their potable water.

They do not need someone to treat their sewage.

They do not need someone to drive them to work.

Do you see a trend here?

People in urban areas are taught to demand services to be provided to them, they 'need'.
Rural folks are not needy.

One common metaphor we see: At town meetings someone is complaining that they want a 'service', just like in the big city where they recently moved from. Well if you want to stay in that mindset, then stay in the city.

Nobody cares where you came from, what they are concerned about is what municipal service are you going to demand that we raise taxes to pay for?

Rural areas have very few services provided on the public budget.

I might see a county sheriff once a week if he does a drive through our township. Usually I dont see him, either he is too busy, or I have not been near the road enough to notice when he drove by.

I do apologize for sounding harsh to you.

Drive out to the area that you are thinking of. Talk to the folks at the farmer's market, talk to the folks in the diner.

When you see hand written signs saying a house is for sale, stop and talk to the owner.

They will all tell you about the area, what is going on, and what you are looking for.

May God bless you.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 01-04-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 09:41 AM

418 posts, read 1,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I don't know you, I read this OP and I instantly wanted to slap you. For which part, as a Christian, I do apologize.

One aspect of urban life is the dependence on municipal services. Urbanites need someone to filter and treat their potable water.
Urbanites become very needy, and all of that need drives up taxes. Every service provided by a municipality is being paid for by taxes.

Do you see a trend here?

People in urban areas are taught to demand services to be provided to them, they 'need'.

One common metaphor we see: At town meetings someone is complaining that they want a 'service', just like in the big city where they recently moved from. Well if you want to stay in that mindset, then stay in the city.

Nobody cares where you came from, what they are concerned about is what municipal service are you going to demand that we raise taxes to pay for?

I might see a county sheriff once a week if he does a drive through our township. Usually I dont see him, either he is too busy, or I have not been near the road enough to notice when he drove by.

Drive out to the area that you are thinking of. Talk to the folks at the farmer's market, talk to the folks in the diner.

When you see hand written signs saying a house is for sale, stop and talk to the owner.

They will all tell you about the area, what is going on, and what you are looking for.

May God bless you.

Sniff...what a great post, brought a tear to my eye even. You said everything a lot of us have been thinking for a long time.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 AM

20,499 posts, read 38,425,130 times
Practical Tips For Living In A Country Community was written by someone living in California, but it applies in Texas and probably pretty much everywhere in the country. I recommend reading it before moving.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,899,497 times
Quote:
I don't know you, I read this OP and I instantly wanted to slap you. For which part, as a Christian, I do apologize.

Do you see a trend here?

May God bless you.

To soon to rep you. IOU

Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,664,073 times
Reps to you Forest..can't give you one though.."too soon".

Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM

30,601 posts, read 68,166,358 times
Since I happen to live in the area that is becoming increasingly overrun with NYC/NJ transplants seeking a better quality-of-life, may I humbly DEMAND that you people STOP BUILDING MCMANSIONS HERE??!! There are THOUSANDS of existing homes on the market already for your perusal. Why tear down more trees to build anew?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 PM

8,364 posts, read 14,331,624 times
Quote:

Do you see a trend here?

People in Maine don't have indoor plumbing or electricity? You folks living off the grid? I bet you even take your own trash to the dump. I am soooo impressed

And yes, when you have literally thousands of home choices; it helps to have a Realtor or someone to help.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 PM

31,154 posts, read 50,341,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
People in Maine don't have indoor plumbing or electricity? You folks living off the grid? I bet you even take your own trash to the dump. I am soooo impressed

And yes, when you have literally thousands of home choices; it helps to have a Realtor or someone to help.
???

Interestingly enough.
1: indoor plumbing,
2: electricity,
3: burying trash

Have nothing to do with tax- funded municipal services unless you are urban.

I have indoor plumbing, and it is NOT paid for using tax money. I dug the septic, I plumbed it, I buried it. 'I' did these things. I did not scream and whine to a politicians to "Please please please tax me" so the goobermint could put a diaper on me.

My house has electricity, powered from the grid. Not all of my neighbors are on gird, but that is their choice. But guess what that is not tax provided either.

And my trash? I burn it or bury it. That is what folks do when they live rural. They dont pay taxes to provide curbside trash pickup.

We do have literally thousands of home choices.

And Realtors are available if you want to pay through the nose for their service.

So?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:36 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,696,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josym View Post
I was confused by your post. My initial thought was that you are looking for financial help of some type. Then I thought maybe you were asking for advice on different towns, etc. The Christian comment really threw me off. Exactly what kind of help are you seeking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living