U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM

944 posts, read 2,373,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakco View Post
The point of living in the city is for better opportunity. In other words you don't have to go all over to go somewhere to do or get something. Anyway most cities are surrounded by rural areas, so you can go visit the country anyway if you want. If you don't believe me look around all the cities in this great country on maps.
I agree with you to a point.... and I guess I'm just kinda repeating what others have said, but those of us who live in country/rural areas don't need or want all that "opportunity".

I'm perfectly content with my one grocery store, Alco, hardware store and a few other small odds and ends. I like, peace, quiet, safety and a better quality of life/living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:26 PM

16,264 posts, read 11,626,541 times
Quote:
The point of living in the city is for better opportunity. In other words you don't have to go all over to go somewhere to do or get something. Anyway most cities are surrounded by rural areas, so you can go visit the country anyway if you want. If you don't believe me look around all the cities in this great country on maps.
For and says who? See that is the great thing about living in a free country we all can makes choices that best suit each of us.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 PM

14,427 posts, read 13,762,825 times
Quote:
I see no opportunity in cities. Not for what I want out of life.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 PM

16 posts, read 51,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I see no opportunity in cities. Not for what I want out of life.
Yeah,
People, sense will tell you to look around, duh everyone is not meant to live in a city

Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
For and says who? See that is the great thing about living in a free country we all can makes choices that best suit each of us.
True,
I see what your saying, city living is not for everyone

Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
I agree with you to a point.... and I guess I'm just kinda repeating what others have said, but those of us who live in country/rural areas don't need or want all that "opportunity".

I'm perfectly content with my one grocery store, Alco, hardware store and a few other small odds and ends. I like, peace, quiet, safety and a better quality of life/living.
Yeah,
it pretty much depends on your personality and lifestyle of living, its not for everyone, theres nothing wrong with the rural areas

Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Dut

25 posts, read 70,279 times
It all depends on what you consider fun. There are some people that think that it is fun to go to nightclubs, art galleries, etc. that big cities offer. While others may think that it is fun to go to small community festivals, gardening, other outdoor activities, etc. Different people like different things. I know people that live in a small town and love it and others that can't spend a day outside of the city. I live in Baton Rouge, LA and while it is not a huge city, I do like things it has to offer. I have lived in a small town and came to Baton Rouge every weekend.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,930,603 times
City vs Rural or Small Town Living? I'm gonna say it depends on who you are. Also when.

I've lived in both worlds now. I spent a couple years living on the Mountain Side over looking the City of Pittsburgh. I lived in Urban Sprawl - ala Detroit Michigan. I spent 12 years living in the Suburbs of Milwaukee which included uncounted drives through Chicago at all hours of the day.

There was a time in my life where I'd not have left the city for anything longer than a week. No thanks! I so enjoyed the culture of Rock Concerts and Pub Crawls. Museums and Art Galleries. City Buses and Light Rail. Hanging in the hood, playing dice or picking up a great deal from the local neighborhood schister. Going to Hockey Games or Baseball Games or Tail Gating at Steelers Games.

But then one grows up, Gets married and starts a family. Somehow I ended up in Rural Minnesota. At first I was very afraid of what I was getting into. Life was going to be changing. The culture shock was real. It seemed that life was now in slow motion. The air cleaner, the movies cheaper. The people friendy and open, also opinionated; always willing to share it with you.

Almost two years later you couldn't pry me away from this. My entire town belongs to me, and I to it. At the grocery, I'm known by each employee. First name basis. Same at the local Cafe, even the bank. It's a small town by any standards, nearly 650 residents. I don't know everyone but there are many that I do. Many more than I did back in each city I've lived in. We have a one man police force, he knows us and is there to protect us. He's not running around writing tickets for revenue. I for one am glad he's there.

As a small community, we are all there for each other. I've become involved in all sorts of community activities. Tonight is an emergency meeting for the local American Legion. Seems they are suffering from the current economoy and are going to decide weather or not to remain open. I'm on two committies here concerning local activities, a Connecting Generations (PIP) and Sebeka.com. I volunteer my time to make my town a better place to live. A group of 20 of us met recently for nine weeks worth of Leadership Training Classes. It's all about community pride and wanting to make our town a better place to live. It's also about winning the battle against poverty. Many of the residents in this small town are on fixed incomes. Today's economoy is rough on people in that group. Therefore there are some of us that need to be watching out for those who are less fortunate. We are a close knit community in those regards. We also have plenty of disagreeing. It happens. However we all work together to find solutions that work for everyone.

I have never been a busy person previously. Now days though, there is something going on all the time. Meetings for this and meetings for that. But hey, I'm not complaining. I love this aspect of being a part of a community.

Our little town isn't the most entertaining. One needs to drive twenty minutes to the next town to see a movie or go Bowling. Sometimes we do that, just not always. We're trying to create oportunities around our own town to accomodate our need for entertainment or to be busy.

One only needs to take a short drive, around here to see that this is where the city folk all come to escape the rat race. There are resorts all around the area. Lake side cabins without TV or Telephones (I sure hope these places never change) that provide a break from the hustle bustle of the city.

I'm thrilled each evening as I walk through town without a care for my safety. I do not lock my doors. I wave to any aproaching car even if I don't know them, and they wave back. At night in the summer with the windows open, there is no sound of traffic. There are no trains, no planes no sirens. It is quiet. Unless the cows are restless. I've grown fond of the quiet, when once I loved the city noise. Peace and tranquility and at what price? No fast food places??? Hardly, I'm more healthy. I'd rather eat at the local cafe.

The trade off is well worth it. So I miss out on MLB, not like I'm going to catch the Pirates from a thousand miles away.... I'll take rural life; anytime. I've had the city and am lucky to still be alive.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:25 AM

18,312 posts, read 15,783,903 times
Quote:
Anyway most cities are surrounded by rural areas, so you can go visit the country anyway if you want. If you don't believe me look around all the cities in this great country on maps.
The same is true of living rurally - you can go visit a city if you want.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:47 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,878,816 times
Default Living in A Small town boring?

Hell NO....I lived in Northern Maine for a time in a town with only 300 people. I am here to tell you...with only 300 people they know ALL your business and what business they don't know, they make up. I am dead serious. One time, I was riding my Ski-Doo through the woods with a bunch of people and when I was young...I was nuts. I was riding it standing up..wind whipping through my hair, scarf flying...crazy. A tree branch hit me in the face. Two days later..I got a shiner..a good one. Well, I walked into the general store a couple of days later and one of the locals says to me, "God I heard you were dead from a Ski-Doo accident". She looked like she had seen a ghost.

While living up there...I was a Town Manager. I took care of the business for two small towns. A couple of locals were hanging out in front of my office, leaning on a car chatting about having seen some nature program on the tv. The conversation went something like this, "Hey, did you see that nature program on tha tv last night with them CROAK-A-DILES" Guy #2 replies: "Don't know about no CROAK-A-DILES but did you see them AGG-AH-LATORS?" I had my roll out window open and laughed so loud they turned and innocently waved at me...business as usual.

Oh, and lets not forget the lady I had to chase off the railroad tracks which were outside my office. She was dressed from head to toe in flourescent orange..."Out of State Person hunting moose" IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN WITH A GUN!!

Small Towns Boring?? Absolutely not. The only reason I literally fled the area was that I was divorcing my ex husband who was from there and with the way people talked and made up stuff...no way was I going to stay. Hell, I would have been sleeping with the local minister in the middle of town on the back of a hay wagon, buck naked while trying to shoot a moose who rambled through town....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living