Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh yes..and add to that "We don't want or need streetlights. We like the dark so we can see the stars."
that is the main reason i move to the county, sit on the porch and look at the stars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 08:56 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Ha ha!
By me that's the dead give away that you are second/summer home owner.
The house is lit up like Wrigley Field at night.
Exterior lighting up the ying yang.
Locals maybe leave a light on at the front door. Maybe.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I've been living in the country most of my life. And I love my big mercury vapor light... lights up our whole compound at night. I can look out and see if anything is out there.

My one neighbor can't see any stars with all the trees, so I don't think it's bothering him.

During winter storm power outages, I love being able to look off to the south or east to see if the nearby towns still have power or not. I can see the glow, or not... reflecting into the sky, indicating just how widespread a situation we've got.

And I still see lots of stars, even with our light.

Not everyone agrees on anything.... least of all, lights.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM

400 posts, read 573,529 times
Agreed. Exterior lighting seems to be a very polarizing topic of discussion.

Three of our neighbors are on the same page with us - minimal exterior lighting. The fourth has the cheap solar/battery powered LED garden type lighting everywhere, and multiple spotlights running off the back of their house. I don't get it, but I'm sure they say the same about me and wonder how I can feel safe/secure without lighting up the world.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:53 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
You can light up an area without lighting up the sky with properly placed lighting and a little thought into your neighbors concerns. A big floodlight on the eves is helpful at certain times but indirect lighting can go a long way. A string of Christmas lights can do a lot in the dark and are cheap in Janurary.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...KbAlNxLeUXQPM:

Old 02-13-2018, 07:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I've been living in the country most of my life. And I love my big mercury vapor light... lights up our whole compound at night. I can look out and see if anything is out there.

My one neighbor can't see any stars with all the trees, so I don't think it's bothering him.

During winter storm power outages, I love being able to look off to the south or east to see if the nearby towns still have power or not. I can see the glow, or not... reflecting into the sky, indicating just how widespread a situation we've got.

And I still see lots of stars, even with our light.

Not everyone agrees on anything.... least of all, lights.
You might be surprised. I'd recommend not "assuming" that it doesn't bother him.

I have neighbors who have such lights that I can't see directly. They still cause light pollution and impact the night sky, nonetheless. I know because I have watched it happen over 20 years, comparing the stars that were once visible versus those that are now. Pretty sure that many stars haven't simply disappeared from the universe.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
THL... You're going to have to take my word for it... My neighbor does not give ONE HOOT about the stars. I do think I'm in a better position to make assumptions about him than you are.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
One more rule,do NOT talk bad about someone because chances are you are talking to a relative,inlaw or friend of the person you are giving"down in the country".
Had a friendly neighbor tell me that when we first moved here. Best advice ever! Works anywhere in the world but especially in the country.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Ha ha!
By me that's the dead give away that you are second/summer home owner.
The house is lit up like Wrigley Field at night.
Exterior lighting up the ying yang.
Locals maybe leave a light on at the front door. Maybe.
I notice the same thing. The newer the house, the more lights. They're the same people that move in and start griping that the zoning isn't strict enough.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
THL... You're going to have to take my word for it... My neighbor does not give ONE HOOT about the stars. I do think I'm in a better position to make assumptions about him than you are.
Wasn't talking exclusively about stars, was talking about your light disturbing him or not. Stars are but one way that light pollution out in the country are disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living