U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:59 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,705,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Right. If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, chances are very good that it's a duck.
if it quacks like a duck, it must be female mallard....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 05:35 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,164,855 times
Quacks like a troll to me. I sent this person a DM saying ; "Montana sure as heck doesn't want you either then, But the type of towns you think are gone are alive and well in Montana. You wont be happy anywhere" The suspected troll answered ; "Grow some balls and say this on the forum. I don't know why I am responding to this crap, Merry Xmas"

Are you happy now hasdrubal ? I doubt it. Come visit and we can compare balls. The type of towns you say are disappearing would most likely chew you up and spit you out in rapid fashion. There is obviously something about Montana that you don't like and I believe it has something to do with your lifestyle or race. Like I said come visit and we can compare balls. That is an official invitation, come visit, read some of my past posts and you will find that I am very easy to find.
Oh and a side note, you can also learn how to spell or at least grow a sense of how to use "spell check " !!!

You remind me of a trollish poster named 100%michigan who was on the montana forum dissing the last best place. Oh by the way merry Christmas.

Last edited by Rickers; 12-20-2008 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: To clear up some crap !

Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,765,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
sometimes I look at pictures from the 60's and 70's, those small towns that had the main street with the grocery stores, the hunting shop, the cafes, barberies and diners...now it's getting harder to find them, with families relocating to the suburbs and shopping at the mall...what puzzles me is that the GOP, that supposedly stands for small towns and rural America has donde nothing to prevent this from happening. Instead of enacting programs to help the small business, they supported massive corporations such as Walmart that practically killed them

This is not a political rant, but I'd like to point the republicans' attiude out, as they don't protect what they like to portray as real America. The Dems are not better, but they never make such statements.
As I pointed out in another post, more people and businesses would move to small towns and the country if the people out there were not so damn set in their ways. They never want to change and do the kinds of things that would make the area attractive to economic activity. For example, take the issue of homosexuality. Most rural people are very anti gay and would probably never allow a homosexual couple to enjoy peace in their midst. So if you are a company and you hire a very talented homosexual engineer and he gets ran of out town by the locals, how does that help your business?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,261,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As I pointed out in another post, more people and businesses would move to small towns and the country if the people out there were not so damn set in their ways. They never want to change and do the kinds of things that would make the area attractive to economic activity. For example, take the issue of homosexuality. Most rural people are very anti gay and would probably never allow a homosexual couple to enjoy peace in their midst. So if you are a company and you hire a very talented homosexual engineer and he gets ran of out town by the locals, how does that help your business?
Very good point. With a number of small towns in the up in the Upper Midwest, this is the case. Some towns are worse than others. Even some good sized smaller cities (10,000 people or so) are bad in that regard. Not all people in small towns are backwards, some are progressive but may not toot their horns as loud as those who are more conservative in their social perspectives.

Politically, I would like to see more balance. Even though the Republicans are staunch on values such as being pro-life, I often wonder why a number of farmers and small town people often vote against their economic interests. From what I see, today's Repulican party is out for the wealthy and Corporate America and not for the average Joe when it comes to bread and butter issues (and the party strayed away from common sense). The Democrats have their faults too (needing to provide general policies that help ordinary people but with more accountability and wiser use of government resources) but do not seem as hypocritical in my opinion. Granted, the vast majority of people in the rural areas are middle/working class with some poverty/underemployment. Why many vote the way they do often puzzles me, but each person is entitled to his or her opinion (which is the beauty of our great nation).

Last edited by Chris19; 12-20-2008 at 11:55 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,721,896 times
Quote:
Why should those in small towns have to "change their ways" KevK? Because you said so?

Leave towns to be what they, the residents, want the town to be. Freedom KevK.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 AM

34,643 posts, read 43,896,296 times
The death of small towns probably started during the Depression. People moved from the rural areas to more urban areas since there were some jobs there, and in many cases they had lost everything. The death knell was sounded with the construction of the Interstate syatem which bypassed the small towns-on purpose. And the system was originally conceived as a national security need based on Eisenhower's four month crossing of the US in the 1920's and his observation of the Autobahn in Germany.
What else changed was the business model. Small operations couldn't keep up with the economies of scale that bigger retailers had. Small hardwares are an example. Almost all are now affliated with a national group (Ace for one). Ad dollars and product support are the just two reasons. Farming became big business, again economies of scale, and the younger generation didn't want that life. My older brother escaped to the Navy and I was just getting the indoctrination at age six whne my father died and the farm got sold. In the retrospection of fifty years I probably wouldn't have minded milking cows twice a day but who knows?
Some small towns actively discourage new businesses that would compete with established ones so they go elsewhere-sometimes close enough that people can go there fairly quickly (see Interstate system).

Now having said all of the above it never ceases to amaze me that those people who profess their "progressivism" and liberalism are many times the most intolerant individuals I come into contact with. It's always "my way or the highway" leavened with personal insults. That observation comes from a twenty five year teaching career and spending most of the last two decades as an elected official dealing with people who move to town and immediately begin to critcize and want to change it to what they just left.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 PM

49 posts, read 147,767 times
Ozarksboy,

It's not the Dems or the Reps fault that small town America has changed. It was bound to happen sooner or later. The small town I grew up in (SE Kansas) was a railroad town and when the railroad pulled out, Urban Renewal came in and almost killed the town. They shut down Main Steet to build a Mall, and it did not work out well. The community has finally revitalized the downtown and reopened Main Street to traffic.

When Eisenhower build the Interstate Highway System it was a part of our national defense. It is mandatory that every so many miles (60 miles, maybe) the road is straight and flat so that the Air Force can land planes on it, if necessary. Kinda interesting, huh?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,810,178 times
Ozarksboy---what you posted is the exact reason four our region of central MN-----"mobility"
The OP talks about the 60's, I graduated in 1963.

Our town of 800 people had-------3 grocery stores (2 of which were locker plants also), 3 car dealerships, 2 hardware stores, 2 barber shops, 3 restaurants, (one was a combination restaurant,bowling alley, and dance hall) 2 farm tractor dealers, 1 feed mill(grain elevator)

Right now, if a person came back after 50 years, they would not recognize the town.
Many new houses, population is about 1200 but we have become a "bedroom community".

All that is left for businesses is one cafe , one hardware store, one convenience store,the feed mill.

"mobility" is exactly what killed most of the small town's businesses in central MN.
What once was considered a long drive to St Cloud,Willmar, or Alexandria is no longer due to modern roads and modern cars.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,810,178 times
And it even changed from the early 50's to mid 60's

In the early 50's there were many general stores located so no one had to drive over 3 miles to get necessities. Some were located on gravel road crossroads.

They were the first to disappear.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 AM

20,656 posts, read 38,726,082 times
Quote:
KevK, I read your post and responded to it in the other thread, and here I say pretty much the same thing.

Thing is, you don't seem to be able to tell the difference between the kind of small town the OP was talking about and a "miniature city". You want all the people in small towns (and the country, based on what you said in the other thread) to want to live in a fake city rather than in true country or true small town.

I know plenty of small towns that have a vibrancy of their own. That they are not miniature replicas of the cities that you prefer (and should, therefore, live in - nothing wrong with the things you like as long as you don't think that everyone should want to live there, that's what makes life interesting) doesn't mean that they are dead.

As for your comment about sexuality, that occurs in small towns and big, as does tolerance. (I agree, also, with the poster who said that it's amazing how intolerant those that broadcast their own tolerance frequently are of anyone who doesn't think or isn't exactly like them, and how they really can't see that about themselves - big, big, BIG blind spot there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living