U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:40 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,456,419 times

Advertisements

sometimes I look at pictures from the 60's and 70's, those small towns that had the main street with the grocery stores, the hunting shop, the cafes, barberies and diners...now it's getting harder to find them, with families relocating to the suburbs and shopping at the mall...what puzzles me is that the GOP, that supposedly stands for small towns and rural America has donde nothing to prevent this from happening. Instead of enacting programs to help the small business, they supported massive corporations such as Walmart that practically killed them

This is not a political rant, but I'd like to point the republicans' attiude out, as they don't protect what they like to portray as real America. The Dems are not better, but they never make such statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,255,392 times
Why do you ALWAYS look to the government for solutions and why do you ALWAYS lay the blame on the Republicans?
Why didn't the Democrats DO SOMETHING? They're supposed to be the party of the people, so why didn't they look out for the people of small-town America?
Your post is so full of nonsense, that it almost makes my head spin on my shoulders.
There are many factors for the demise of Main Street, and Wal Mart is a minor factor.
The biggest reason is mobility. My hometown, Rolla, Missouri, used to have the vibrant downtown that you describe. People would come in on the train to shop. Farm families would come in on Friday night and Saturday and the streets would be full.
Then the government (was it the Republicans? I think it was, in fact, the Eisenhower Administration) decided to build an interstate highway system, and they put I-44 right along the path that had been Route 66. Rolla became a highway town, and the interstate gave people a way to get to St. Louis on a better highway.
Over the years, passenger service on the trains ended and in 1984 they tore down the depot in downtown Rolla.
People decided they preferred shopping in supermarkets instead of the small grocery stores. There had been two or three such little groceries in downtown Rolla.
There had been two or three theaters in downtown Rolla and people went to "the show" on Saturdays. Now there are no movie houses downtown. There's a Blockbuster and a Family Video store on the edge of downtown now.
So what should the Republicans and the government have done? Enacted laws to make it difficult to travel to the cities, keeping Rolla the important trade center it once was? Outlawed Blockbuster and Family Video? Prohibited Kroger from building a supermarket on the edge of downtown?
I know you'd like to outlaw Wal-Mart and dynamite every store, but doing that would not bring back a vibrant downtown in Rolla or thousands of other small towns across the country.
Public attitudes have changed. People who were born in the Sixties and Seventies view mobility as a right, and they love to go to St. Louis to shop. Urbanites and suburbanites who have moved to Rolla and other small towns prefer to drive to the city to shop.
I don't think the Republicans caused the changes, and I don't think the Democrats can bring the Fifties downtowns back.
You're just going to have to enjoy looking at old pictures.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,074,468 times
Do your GOP bashing on the politics board. I live in an old fashoned small town but I'm not going to tell you where it is ! You'll have to read some of my past posts to find out. Good old fashon small towns are alive and well all over. Kill your TV and get a life.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:13 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,456,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Do your GOP bashing on the politics board. I live in an old fashoned small town but I'm not going to tell you where it is ! You'll have to read some of my past posts to find out. Good old fashon small towns are alive and well all over. Kill your TV and get a life.

keep it to yourself, I wouldn't live in Montana even if the rest of the USA was wasteland

thanks for such respectful replies.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:16 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,635,099 times
There are small towns that thrive. You just have to go and find them.
Go beyond suburbia, beyond the interstate highways as both of those killed the small town.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:48 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,659,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
. Instead of enacting programs to help the small business, they supported massive corporations such as Walmart that practically killed them

It's not the fault of Goverment that a small business died, The goverment can control trade tariffs and such for an industry but the local Mom and Pop grocery dies if the local citizens don't support it...As others have said, times have changed, now you just jump in your car and in ten minutes you've traveled further than a mule team could get you in a day.......

Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 AM

20,489 posts, read 38,404,041 times
First, neither the Republicans or the Democrats have, or should have, the power to do anything about this. More legislation (and exactly what kind would you propose), by EITHER party, is not the answer.

This problem (and it's not a problem everywhere - I, too, know some small towns that are thriving) is one of the vices of the virtues of living in a free country. People get to decide where to shop, based on their own criteria that work for them. It's called a free market. It's part of the basis upon which our country is founded, one of the things that makes it different from other countries.

If you MUST bring politics into it. Believe it or not, politics is not the end all/be all of life to most of the people who live in this country, with good reason.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,231,851 times
Some small towns have a strong business district, but this is due to the local residents buying goods and services locally. It would be iffy to get government involved, although local governments can help their downtowns and businesses in a number of ways. A number of towns in South Dakota are putting an emphasis on economic development and have been turning in that direction for the past 10-12 years, which helps.

The town that I live in, which is around 2,000 people is in a situation where it is not far enough out from Sioux Falls (pop. 150,000) to support additional businesses that can be found in other towns of its size in other parts of the state where they may be the largest town for 35-40 miles. The city would need to gain at least another 1,000 or so people to get additional businesses. The hardware store burned down about two years ago and was not replaced due to not a strong enough customer base and enough people go to Sioux Falls to shop at Menard's, Lowe's, and Home Depot. A dollar store was there but did not last long. Fortunately, the city has two banks, a stable grocery store, three gas stations (one a service station with a repair shop), three bars, a cafe/ice cream place, a car lot with a full service repair shop, auto parts store, flower shop, another auto repair shop, several day cares, three manufacturing employers, several insurance agencies, a pharmacy/drug store, two places that serve pizza (one in a gas station), a clinic, nursing home, and an assisted living. I feel that the town is fortunate to have a decent business district given its circumstance and it has a population that is stable and growing a little and is expected to grow in the future. The town in my opinion could have more eating establishments such as a full-service restaurant/steak house and one or two quick places such as a Subway or Taco John's. The issue is whether locals will support the places and with 400-500 or so eating choices in Sioux Falls.

The people have only themselves to blame if they lose their local grocery store in their very small town if they do not support it and buy their groceries at a Wal-Mart and big supermarket and buy just a few items at the local grocery stores. I am just as guilty to some extent. To keep the businesses viable, the businesses need support from the locals and to find a niche or niches that cannot be found at the bigger town stores.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:27 PM

15,592 posts, read 7,663,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
This is not a political rant, but I'd like to point the republicans' attiude out, as they don't protect what they like to portray as real America. The Dems are not better, but they never make such statements.
Sounds like a political rant to me.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:32 PM

20,489 posts, read 38,404,041 times
Right. If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, chances are very good that it's a duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living