U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2008, 10:00 AM

323 posts, read 746,863 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have city/suburb friends who go on and on about how they would love to live in the country and how much they love being in the outdoors but when it happens you realize that deep down they are city people?

I have known people who participate in lots of outdoor activities, but once they commit and make the move to a rural area, they are miserable but won't admit that deep down they are really city people. I think it's because they don't want to be wrong or are in denial.

There is a big difference between vacations/road trips/adventures in the countryside and actually living there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 PM

123 posts, read 397,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Do any of you have city/suburb friends who go on and on about how they would love to live in the country and how much they love being in the outdoors but when it happens you realize that deep down they are city people?

I have known people who participate in lots of outdoor activities, but once they commit and make the move to a rural area, they are miserable but won't admit that deep down they are really city people. I think it's because they don't want to be wrong or are in denial.

There is a big difference between vacations/road trips/adventures in the countryside and actually living there.
Not exactly, but I have known people who lived in towns of only medium size who thought the country was practically some alien place. It was even more ridiculous when the town they lived in was pretty isolated itself; surrounded by big crop fields with few other towns close by.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 PM

15,668 posts, read 7,740,379 times
Quote:
You are dead on right!!

I see sort of a trend over on the Missouri forums when people decide they want to move there beacause they drove through the area on a vacation and "just fell in love with the place." The country living thing has been so "romanticized" over the years with books, TV, movies, the "back to the land" movement back in the 70's, etc. In fact, its been romanticized so much that people think their problems will just go away and everything will just take care of itself in some form of Utopia. Some people even move without even having any job leads and then come back on the forums and complain that they can't find work other than low wage jobs. When I've cautioned folks about moving without to an unfamiliar area and being unemployed, some get sort of defensive.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:00 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,758,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
You are dead on right!!

I see sort of a trend over on the Missouri forums when people decide they want to move there beacause they drove through the area on a vacation and "just fell in love with the place." The country living thing has been so "romanticized" over the years with books, TV, movies, the "back to the land" movement back in the 70's, etc. In fact, its been romanticized so much that people think their problems will just go away and everything will just take care of itself in some form of Utopia. Some people even move without even having any job leads and then come back on the forums and complain that they can't find work other than low wage jobs. When I've cautioned folks about moving without to an unfamiliar area and being unemployed, some get sort of defensive.

I have seen the same thing myself. Where I am now it is because of the vacation factor. Tons of people spend their summers in my area enjoying the beaches, woods, warm days without being too hot, and just a very relaxing time; then they decide to move here and lo-and-behold, all those things are still here, but now you have to do them around everyday life and work. Last place I lived (Northern Maine) we got the "back to nature" crowd that would come in and expect everyone to be almost eco-nazis because we lived close to wilderness areas. Hard bit of reality to find out your neighbor is a logger and trees look like money, or they are fishermen and the ocean is where their paycheck is found.

I think a LOT of heartache and disappointment can be avoided if people actually LOOKED in depth at where they think is an ideal setting in the country BEFORE they made the move out there. A Hog/Cattle farm isn't bad to drive by when the wind is in your favor, it is different to try to live in the area day after day when the wind carries the smell your way. A small local sawmill may look "quaint" from the road at 45 or 50 MPH, but to live close to the constant machinery noise, can be a bother to some. That fishing harbor looks nice and serene at noon on a weekday, but to live with the view, you also have to live with the hustle and noise of the fishermen getting ready to head out for the day at 0-dark-30 during the season, 7 days a week. As well as the offloading of the catch in the evening. Fish can stink, but it smells like money to everyone on that dock, so don't complain.

People don't realize that living in the city is the easy place to live. Generally higher wages, more job opportunities, anything you would want within a short distance, and entertainment choices 24/7. Country living... not so much. Is the trade off worth it? For many of us the answer is a resounding YES!!!!!!! For others, they get here and decide that the real answer for them is - no, it isn't. Research, research, research is the key. I have seen some people who were died in the wool city folk, who come alive in the country and really wonder how they made it in the city. I have seen real country folks who didn't even know it until they were put in the country setting due to differing circumstances in their lives. I have also seen born and bred Country people who were never really happy until they moved to a larger city.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM

14,658 posts, read 12,083,307 times
Quote:

You ain't just a kiddin'. Lol It's a huge difference. We get a LOT of people herebouts moving in from San Fran, Sac So Cal etc that are completely clueless.. Those of us born and raised out here can only look and listen in amazement at there antics. There have been times I've been to the city that I'm sure I looked the same way to urbanites. Thats why I don't live there and only go there when it's unavoidable.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 PM

84 posts, read 364,776 times
People here in Nebraska look at the farm ground and the fact there aren't a lot of houses around and think it is so pristine. They buy five acres and move to the country and then complain about the smell from livestock, the dust from the roads (gravel), the noise from pivot irrigation system motors and grain bin dryers, the grain trucks driving buy most of the year and general farming practices like haying or harvesting in the dark. In a rural area that is all or mostly farming, it can be like building a house in an industrial park.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:28 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,263,871 times
I have always lived in the big city. I grew to despise it. So we moved to the country. We love it and dont complain about the strange culture of the Hillbillys and the Rednecks. And man are they different. All friendly and good people though....no doubt about that.

We do love to take the one hour drive into the big city (Houston) some weekends just for entertainment, sports and good restaurants but when we get back to our one traffic light one horse town of 691 population we are right at home and would not trade it for the world.

Out here it is so peaceful. I can look out over my lake and hear the splash of a big game fish putting some poor minnow out of his misery. I hear the constant flapping from the huge wing span of all the White Egrets and Great Blue Herons that call the shoreline home. I watch the Deer through my one way windows as they make their way down to the lake for a drink each morning. I also stick apples on poles so the Deer come close enough that I can watch them eat.

When I hear the neighbors Donkeys honking about a quarter mile away I know they are fending off the Coyotes and protecting the other animals/cattle those families call pets or sellable inventory. I just learned that, Donkeys consider Coyotes their mortal enemies.

No traffic noise, no trucks and no horns. And finally I can look up at the sky on any night and see all the stars. There is no glow from the big city. The sky is black with nothing but stars as far as you can see. You ain't seen a sunset till you seen it set over the horizon of a large lake while smelling the perfume of the fresh water breeze.

And then you have to drive an hour one way to get to work. But for now that's ok.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 AM

14,658 posts, read 12,083,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I have always lived in the big city. I grew to despise it. So we moved to the country. We love it and dont complain about the strange culture of the Hillbillys and the Rednecks. And man are they different. All friendly and good people though....no doubt about that.

We do love to take the one hour drive into the big city (Houston) some weekends just for entertainment, sports and good restaurants but when we get back to our one traffic light one horse town of 691 population we are right at home and would not trade it for the world.

Out here it is so peaceful. I can look out over my lake and hear the splash of a big game fish putting some poor minnow out of his misery. I hear the constant flapping from the huge wing span of all the White Egrets and Great Blue Herons that call the shoreline home. I watch the Deer through my one way windows as they make their way down to the lake for a drink each morning. I also stick apples on poles so the Deer come close enough that I can watch them eat.

When I hear the neighbors Donkeys honking about a quarter mile away I know they are fending off the Coyotes and protecting the other animals/cattle those families call pets or sellable inventory. I just learned that, Donkeys consider Coyotes their mortal enemies.

No traffic noise, no trucks and no horns. And finally I can look up at the sky on any night and see all the stars. There is no glow from the big city. The sky is black with nothing but stars as far as you can see. You ain't seen a sunset till you seen it set over the horizon of a large lake while smelling the perfume of the fresh water breeze.

And then you have to drive an hour one way to get to work. But for now that's ok.
Lol we use donkeys and llamas both here to keep the yotes out of the stock. llama are great yote medicine. They will take on a pack of four or five and come out on top every time. I love them! Any critter that can adjust the coyotes attitude like that is tops on my list. If you ever get the chance to see the fight go down it's well worth watching. I've seen a llama do the Bruce lee thing on a pack of yotes and it's just flat COOOOL. LMAO beats a Brodway show any day. I guess thats what us cowboys call fine entertainment. Different strokes right?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,610,540 times
Interesting thread.

Here's another view.

People need to learn, LEARN to be content.
I've lived in huge cities, and in very small towns. I've been happy in both and miserable in both and wouldn't you know it.....the unhappiness in each case...was IN ME....
You have to look for the life that provides the best opportunity to FIND happiness....but you still need to look for it...and take it when you find it...If you're miserable...hate life...that will be your outlook no matter where you are...When you move into a new environment...YOU adapt to it....not the other way round....

Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,696,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol we use donkeys and llamas both here to keep the yotes out of the stock. llama are great yote medicine. They will take on a pack of four or five and come out on top every time. I love them! Any critter that can adjust the coyotes attitude like that is tops on my list. If you ever get the chance to see the fight go down it's well worth watching. I've seen a llama do the Bruce lee thing on a pack of yotes and it's just flat COOOOL. LMAO beats a Brodway show any day. I guess thats what us cowboys call fine entertainment. Different strokes right?
The ranch where we board our horses is about 1/2 mile out of a small city of 100,000. Frequently dogs from town will go try to run the horses in the pasture. It is some entertainment to watch a dozen horses run the dogs, of course it usually ends in a stomp party.....
Funny though our dogs will wander out in the pasture to do thier bussiness and they are ignored....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living