U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 PM

140 posts, read 786,641 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I asked this question in the "house" forum and got alot of responses
So being this is located in Rural NW Pa I will ask it here.

I am looking at a home on 19 ac in NW Pa, it is an older ranch that has been completely redone 3br3ba with a finished basement with new a gas/wood furnace and has a 24x60 barn with stables ,elec and water on the property. The property is 1/2 pasture and 1/2 wooded with a creek (beautiful views from the wrap around deck). It is in very good cond and appears to be well taken care of. Now to my concern , it has a rural RR track about 150 ft from the house the train runs about 4 times a day. Has anyone else lived close to a rural RR and how was it?
Pics attached just none of the RR located across the road in front of the house. pic 1 is the back of the house pic 2 is the back/side yard . Since I have the front of the house pic posted in the house forum I can't post it again
Attached Thumbnails
Living close to a RR track-an10.jpg   Living close to a RR track-an3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 PM

15,584 posts, read 7,660,500 times
4 trains a day is pretty lightly traveled. It looks like a nice place. My mom grew up near tracks and she said you end up getting used to it and subconciously tune out the noise.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:25 PM

17,088 posts, read 22,602,664 times
It would drive me crazy. So it boils down to how you are and if you could tolerate it.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:51 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,614,504 times
Go park your car there for several hours..enough to have 2-3 trains pass by and see what you think.
For some the sound of a train is calming, for others, like arch above, it drives them insane.

I like the sound of a train and wouldn't mind living with RR tracks along the property..just not close to a crossing where you hear the horn for a long time as they approach.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM

34,432 posts, read 43,279,509 times
The price should be lower to reflect the closenes to the tracks.

Some questions and observations, from a former RR employee.
Is the track near a siding? If so, there will be cars stored there and trains will be put together there-brake noise and the metallic crash of the cars being coupled.
Are you near a grade crossing? Two longs, a short, and another long from the whistle whenever the train approaches. You also may get a whistle if you're near a siding and there's cranky engineer putting the train together.
What's the speed limit on the track? Speed affects train noise. Remember the wheels clack at every rail joint.
Do they park the train on the track near your house? This time of year the engines won't be shut off because of the cold and you'll have three (probably) motors idling.
What's the RR?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,614,504 times
Excellent info North Beach Person. I just tucked that list of "what to look for" away in a folder.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
I grew up on a farm (and lived there for 32 years) where the train tracks crossed our farm (100 acres)

I could throw a baseball from the back of our porch and hit the train (if I wanted to)

I loved it !
(but it was only 1 train a day and I always was fascinated with trains)

The people I sold my farm to (30 years ago) don't have the train to worry about anymore. The SooLine discontinued the track and it now is a designated , tarred , bike and snowmobile trail.

I, and they, would rather have the train back than loud snowmobilers roaring past all hours of the day and night all winter long.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM

410 posts, read 980,874 times
I grew up in a house about two small town blocks away from the tracks. My relatives live in the the house now. To me, it is a soothing sound and you do learn to tune it out. However it does drive some people crazy. The problem in a small town is if you get on the "wrong side" of the tracks. My small town has a heavily travelled RR splitting the town in half. The trains stop several times a day to let other trains pass. This is a holdover from the old days when the depot was still in use. All, and I do mean absolutely all, of the amenities are on one side of the tracks, including all stores and gas stations, the hospital, and access to the highway. There is no bypass, unless you drive rural roads several miles outside of town. It can be very frustrating to be caught for 30 minutes to an hour while the trains pass or reconnect, or be in a medical situation and need an ambulance, something that has happened.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:26 PM

140 posts, read 786,641 times
Thanks to everyone for the comments.
North Beach the RR line is The Bessemer & Lake Erie RR (B&LE)http://www.lundsten.dk/railfan_pa/ble/index.html#North,
it runs from Conneaut,OH to NE side of Pittsburgh,Pa
There are no sidings within atleast 4-5 miles, there is a rural crossing about 1/2 mile south of the house. The track follows the rural road for about 2 miles then the road crosses the track about 1/2 mile south of the house.
As for speed of the train at the point it goes by the house, I don't know I will have to find about what time the train goes by and try to be there then. I have a friend that lives 6 miles north of the property I'm looking at and she is a block or so from the track. She says she really doesn't notice it. When I have been at her house I have heard the horn as it crosses the main rd. but not a bothersome type of sound.
Yes the property is priced to reflect the RR near. But it also has the Conneaut creek (30-40' wide) at the rear of the property which is a plus for fishing.
Attached is a pic of the road and the RR track is to the right side of the road house to the left
Attached Thumbnails
Living close to a RR track-an21.jpg  

Old 01-10-2009, 04:31 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,064,386 times
I live about a quarter of a mile from one that runs thru the city of Acworth in Ga. There are woods and a few homes between it and us, and I worried about it at first. Now I love it. It is sort of comforting to hear late at night. It does blow the whistle and I don't think I could live just a few yard from it as some do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living