U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 PM

411 posts, read 1,060,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
But personal preferences may not have anything to do with the health issues. Many people love very unhealthy things
True, but I wouldn't compare living in a city to things such as smoking, doing drugs, drinking and driving, etc. Let's not go overboard now.
Quote:
But we're a different species.
Oh, I apologize. I was not aware....
Quote:
Trying to live an urban lifestyle in the country is not sustainable, but neither is an urban lifestyle in the city. Modern large cities require everything to be transported in: energy, food, building materials and so forth. amd today's cities would not exist without petroleum. Whereas it's entirely possible for a person or a small community to be nearly self-sufficient and sustainable, in the country.
This is the classic, uneducated view of cities that probably spurred this article to begin with. Obviously, there will always be pollution to a certain extent, but unless you hunt and grow all your own food and live in a clay hut totally cut off from all modern conveniences, I have a newsflash for you: you cause pollution too! Please, do me and yourself a favor and read up on how people in cities like New York City pollute half as much per capita and the rest of the country. Also read about how dense, urban cities are much better for the environment than spread out suburbs. I'll even start you off with some examples: (1) dense urban cities give people the ability to walk and use public transit, thus reducing the amount of carbon emissions, (2) dense cities require less land and are therefore able to leave more land to nature, (3) there is a new concept known as skyscraper farms, which are basically skyscrapers but with fruit and vegetables being grown in them. This then requires way less shipping of the produce and also leaves more land that would have otherwise been used for farms to nature.
Once again, I AM NOT DENYING THAT THE NEEDS TO BE A BALANCE. Parks, trees, landscaping, green roofs, etc. are extremely important. Do you expect everyone to go off into their own little isolated corner of the world and live off the land? How would different cultures and ideas spread, how would we travel? I firmly believe that we need to find greener energy sources and that we need to be conscious of our carbon footprint, but pollution to an extent is a necessary evil. Plus, the only reason small town pollute less is because there are less people. People in small towns don't pollute any less per capita than those in large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 AM

830 posts, read 2,399,865 times
Quote:
I guess there's something to groups who take urban kids on field trips to the country, to experience being on a farm/in a country environment. Not aware of too many who take kids on trips to cities to experience what it's like to live in a crowded city....
Oh my, of course we do. Some unfortunate kids here have never been to the famous National Parks that literally surround us here, let alone to a city. And so we do field trips. I think we do more of them to urban areas from my current school than we did to more rural areas from my urban schools.

In fact, teaching my little ones what a "city" vs "the country" is can be quite a challenge when they have no references. "Who has ever been to a city?" "Ooooh, me me!" "Which city did you go to?" "California City!" (Ever been? Not exactly my idea of a city.)

I'm not complaining about the remote lifestyle, I love it. And certainly there are many urban kids who have no idea what it's like outside a major city either. But ... we do take field trips to the city!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 PM

28,378 posts, read 18,196,569 times
Quote:
I don't know, being out in the country, there's lots of options for "exercise": hiking, hunting, cutting wood...and the cleaner air outside of cities must have some effect...
I always think that too. And yet, I'm still carrying a good bit of extra poundage. I figure this fitness stuff is for wimps anyway. Any skinny person can hike 10 miles, carrying an extra 40 lbs or so takes a real man . (and guys, this is just a poor attempt at humor, don't get all psyco on me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living