Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Pretty much says everything I've always known to be true...

How the city hurts your brain - Boston.com

Quote:
Now scientists have begun to examine how the city affects the brain, and the results are chastening. Just being in an urban environment, they have found, impairs our basic mental processes. After spending a few minutes on a crowded city street, the brain is less able to hold things in memory, and suffers from reduced self-control. While it's long been recognized that city life is exhausting -- that's why Picasso left Paris -- this new research suggests that cities actually dull our thinking, sometimes dramatically so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Now I understand why so many large citys vote Democratic!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
So....is this fact? Or is it just someone's opinion? It it's the latter, then it really doesn't mean anything, does it?

I can argue the other side of the point just as vociferously. And I've lived in the country and in large urban areas.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
So....is this fact? Or is it just someone's opinion? It it's the latter, then it really doesn't mean anything, does it?

I can argue the other side of the point just as vociferously. And I've lived in the country and in large urban areas.
Scientific studies on the effects of cities...

Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I'd think exposure to any hectic and chaotic environment would have an adverse effect on someone's mind and these aren't strictly urban phenomena.

Have they done a study on the benefits of living in a city? Exposure to diverse cultures? Increased social opportunities? Fitness levels(more relevant in walkable cities)? Etc.

There are trade offs for every environment. The key is counterbalancing them.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Maybe that is why so many people move to Alaska.

I was told most of the people who moved to Alaska couldn't get along with anybody in the lower 48.

Probably some truth to both of them.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
This is the first study I've seen on this...makes sense, though. It meshes fairly well with many studies done in the past that have scientifically shown the recuperative effects of being outdoors upon the brain, health and the psyche.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I'd think exposure to any hectic and chaotic environment would have an adverse effect on someone's mind and these aren't strictly urban phenomena.

Have they done a study on the benefits of living in a city? Exposure to diverse cultures? Increased social opportunities? Fitness levels(more relevant in walkable cities)? Etc.

IMO diversity of culture is everywhere I can't argue a small community will most likely have less but most people only connect with about so many before enough is enough and everyone we come in contact with has a different background. Social opportunities although less in rural areas are irrelevant if you have enough to fill your spare time which in my small town I usually get more than necessary - I would think that translates to any place over a few hundred people - even in small areas you run into people from all over the world and even locally IME the diversity is more than most realize if one chooses to get out even just a little and talk with folks.

I think the study reflects the fact bigger, better, faster, more just muddies the brain - counterbalancing like DTL said is key - that is unless your environment automatically tends to balance things without the conscience requiring adjustments to offset the stress of ones environment.

Last edited by eric#1; 02-10-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

I don't know, being out in the country, there's lots of options for "exercise": hiking, hunting, cutting wood...and the cleaner air outside of cities must have some effect...

Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I don't know, being out in the country, there's lots of options for "exercise": hiking, hunting, cutting wood...and the cleaner air outside of cities must have some effect...
Having grown up in the country, and later living in walkable urban environments, it is my observation that people are generally in much better shape in the city. This is bacause activity levels are more consistent and people do not drive everywhere. When I go to visit my family back in a rural area one of the first things I notice is how overweight people are. I also believe this may be the biggest reason Europeans are usually thinner, seeing as most European cities and towns are full of pedestrian life. I realize there are a lot of opportunities for exercise in the country, but judging on what I have seen people usually do not embrace those opportunities on a consistent basis. Now, the suburbs are the worst of both worlds to me, having limited personal space and still having to rely on a car.

Anyway, there is probably some truth to that article. City life can certainly be more stressfull and expensive. On the flip side, country life can be boring and mind numbing due to limited activities and energy. I guess it depends on what type of person you are. Personally I could go either way, but at this point in my life I prefer the city. When I'm older and ready to relax more I might just end up back in the sticks where my roots are. Just keep me out of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living