Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,892,718 times

Advertisements

I agree that it just depends on the type of person you are, although for me, this study is accurate. I was never happy living in cities, I was miserable and depressed. I just don't like people, their noise, the cars/trains/buses, concrete, crowds, development etc., it's all so ugly. I prefer the peace and quiet of nature. As for people being fatter in the country? I don't buy that. As an adult when we lived in cities, I only had a tiny little plot of land to garden, if that, and unless I wanted to walk/jog on busy streets, my main exercise came from gyms. Now I live in a more suburban area on an acre of property and am surrounded by woods, and am very active. Not only do I garden a lot, mow our yard myself etc., but I still belong to a gym. And as a child I lived for several years on a farm, and everyone in the house was kept busy with chores, there was no time to be idle enough to get fat. And regardless of where you live, rural or city, there are social opportunities in both. But of course someone who enjoys the hustle and bustle of city life will likely be bored in the country, so again, it all depends on the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:13 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,379,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
So....is this fact? Or is it just someone's opinion? It it's the latter, then it really doesn't mean anything, does it?
I call it junk science. Just like the study that says suburban life makes people fat. Whatever.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 PM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
I have always lived outside of big cities until I actually moved into one. Portland, Oregon. This particular city was and has been marketed heavily. Both to the young and to retirees although I think the lure is dying for many. I found I do not belong living smack dab in the city as I now do. Although I do think I could adjust to other cities much easier than Portland, I think I prefer smaller cities, towns or suburbs. I would never want to live completely in the sticks. I think a city can have its pluses, but the tradeoffs can be more than many of us can take. Again I think the type of and size of the city has alot to do with how we feel concerning this issue.

Even though I lived for many years and originate from Massachusetts. I could counterbalance living between Boston and Providence in the smaller towns and commuting into the big cities. I find living in Portland exhausting and quite frankly, I have become very uncomfortable and nervous with this type of an environment. Between the contant political demontrations and beggers and homeless laying on streets and coming up to me when Im shopping. The verbal abuse and disgusting behaviors in public, and the tolerance on the part of the city of this type of behavior has turned me off. The alternative people and thier strange lack of manners and quite frankly hygiene in public places. The ripping up of every street for another rail line, this one literally under my apt window. Mostly the many depressing people that never speak when spoken to. Maybe they are drugged up there are so many here. I have had it. Anyone considering this city to live or retire to based on the many publications praising Portland. Take a careful look because much is misleading. One has to be a certain type to live here.

So I do think a city and again certain types of cities can take a heavy toll on a person. Yes they can hurt the brain and all over. I think they can dull the mind and make one feel there is no way out at times. Due to how expensive they can be to live in they eat up our finances. All I want is a smaller city/town within range of a bigger city. A place that doesn't have a fridgid climate. A place that has walking trails and gyms. Some form of bus transportation. A place with Shopping and Medical facilities. A place to get a little part time job, in a state with an income tax that doesn't tax my pension sky high. Is this place out there some place. I have to find it before this city completely does me in. Sorry for venting.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 50,949 times
I guess there's something to groups who take urban kids on field trips to the country, to experience being on a farm/in a country environment. Not aware of too many who take kids on trips to cities to experience what it's like to live in a crowded city....

Old 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,184,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming.with.dolphins View Post
I guess there's something to groups who take urban kids on field trips to the country, to experience being on a farm/in a country environment. Not aware of too many who take kids on trips to cities to experience what it's like to live in a crowded city....
Ha!

Well, maybe not too many trips I'm aware of for THAT purpose, but I've chaperoned lots of trips to cities for art museums, science centers, historical sites, etc. Kind of the same thing...

Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM

261 posts, read 1,271,841 times
The difference being that with the city, it's take the kids in, see what you need to, and leave ASAP.

With visiting the country, it's all about sitting back and savoring the life.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I can't say I see alot of overweight country people anymore than the city people myself. Certainly many are less in shape from what in have seen in the cities.Its the stress and defnsive posture in cities that turn me off but I realise why people are that way there.Its also why so many moive to the sub-burbs now days and the rich have always had country estates.Mass numbers of people can get to be too much for most.Humans IMO were not meant to live like ants in a ant pile and resist it as they can.Some never know anyhtign else.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
The only good thing ( kinda sorta)about liveing in a big city ( Bay area for 18yrs) is that people don't give two ****s about who you are. If you live in a small town in say rural MN or Iowa, it's all about who you or your daddy is or who's house you bought, or what your kid does in school. Then they get all pissy when you take a leak in your own back yard. Now we moved into the country I can run around and do my naked wood troll impression all day and no body cares!!! WOWOWOWOWOooooo That said, even with the small town bizzy bodie crap I wouldn't raise my kids in San Jose or any big city for anything....

Old 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM

411 posts, read 1,164,920 times
IMO, this article is a load of crap. The writers (and many posters on this thread) are obviously biased. I will not deny that nature and trees are extremely important, or that cities can be very stressful. But, it all depends on what a person likes. Some love the city, with all its action and excitement, and others love the quiet and peacefulness of nature. Personally, I live in a small city and it depresses the hell out of me. I absolutely hate it and am constantly yearning for more excitement, diversity, and more people with different/new ways of thinking. My point is, IMO, living in any place you hate can dull your mind. Driving home sometimes I get so depressed about living here but once I get into a large city, I feel practically euphoric. It all boils down to different strokes for different folks. There could be a truth to the idea that the overwhelming nature of NYC makes people meaner and more on edge, but there could truth in the idea that being secluded in the middle of nowhere makes people less accepting of people who different from them. Also-and this is just my opinion-if many animals/insects such as ants can manage to live in crowded conditions, I think humans certainly could too-or eventually evolve and become more accustomed to it.

Also, did anybody realize that walkable, urban cities are more sustainable than everybody living way out in the country and driving everywhere? Of course, cities do need trees and parks. I mean, who doesn't like tree-lined streets and parks? No one can argue that there just needs to be a balance. That is much of what the green landscaping and architecture movement is trying to accomplish.

Also, from what I've experienced and read, people in urban areas seem to be more prone to exercise, due to the fact that the excitement of cities attracts many young, single people. Though, I am not saying people in rural areas don't get exercise, because I know farmers and ranchers do A LOT of work.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on the subject. Sorry if any of my rambling doesn't make sense.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:34 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
IMO, this article is a load of crap. The writers (and many posters on this thread) are obviously biased. I will not deny that nature and trees are extremely important, or that cities can be very stressful. But, it all depends on what a person likes. Some love the city, with all its action and excitement, and others love the quiet and peacefulness of nature. Personally, I live in a small city and it depresses the hell out of me. I absolutely hate it and am constantly yearning for more excitement, diversity, and more people with different/new ways of thinking. My point is, IMO, living in any place you hate can dull your mind. Driving home sometimes I get so depressed about living here but once I get into a large city, I feel practically euphoric. It all boils down to different strokes for different folks. There could be a truth to the idea that the overwhelming nature of NYC makes people meaner and more on edge, but there could truth in the idea that being secluded in the middle of nowhere makes people less accepting of people who different from them.
But personal preferences may not have anything to do with the health issues. Many people love very unhealthy things...

Quote:
Also-and this is just my opinion-if many animals/insects such as ants can manage to live in crowded conditions, I think humans certainly could too-or eventually evolve and become more accustomed to it.
But we're a different species.

Quote:
Also, did anybody realize that walkable, urban cities are more sustainable than everybody living way out in the country and driving everywhere? Of course, cities do need trees and parks. I mean, who doesn't like tree-lined streets and parks? No one can argue that there just needs to be a balance. That is much of what the green landscaping and architecture movement is trying to accomplish.
Trying to live an urban lifestyle in the country is not sustainable, but neither is an urban lifestyle in the city. Modern large cities require everything to be transported in: energy, food, building materials and so forth. amd today's cities would not exist without petroleum. Whereas it's entirely possible for a person or a small community to be nearly self-sufficient and sustainable, in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living