U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:40 AM

6,071 posts, read 11,561,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are you trying to convince me, or yourselves?
It's not about you and we're already convinced or we wouldn't be living rurally. If you don't like this forum why do you keep coming back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
Even the Amish got convinced they came to the right place last summer. It was October and they were trying to get the hay in for the winter, this being their first summer here. Anyway they were behind the ball so they borrowed tractors off of people (myself included) and tried to get their hay in while they could.

On one tractor something broke in the tranny, the stupid thing rolled down a hill, through a rock wall, out into the swamp, hit a tree and literally broke the frame in half. So the Amish go back home, get all dressed up in their Sunday best, go to the farmer and to tell the farmer that they broke his tractor...

"As we speak, we are getting teams of horses together to get that tractor out of the woods and will get it fixed just as soon as we get the parts to fix it."

The farmer just laughed and said...

"That tractor isn't going anywhere tonight. What you need to do is grab my other tractor and get your hay in."

You see we don't get to excited around here. Even the Amish are starting to learn that breaking a tractor is just some fabricated object. As long as you don't kill anyone or get hurt, things can be fixed.

Its the same way about people that talk about other people. I never let them bother me. People talk no matter what you do, so I do what I think is right and will stand before God some day and answer for what I did wrong. So will the people that are always into other peoples business. I'll let the big guy handle that, I got too much to do to wory about someone gabbing to each other what I do. I'll give this advice to anybody, pay no heed to them...

Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,389,085 times
I think I live in as close to an ideal situation as can possibly be in my opinion. I live in a semi-rural area about 3 miles from a city of about 10 thousand with shopping (groceries, dept stores,movies, restaurants etc...), about 15 miles from a city of about 80 thousand which has a few cultural opportunitues for entertainment as well as very complete and varied shopping opportunitues, and live about 100 miles from a much larger city where you can go for massive amounts of shopping, cultural entertainment, pro sports etc...

For us anyway, it doesn't get any better than this location wise.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,158,208 times
Here is another story from rural America that I think is funny. My neighbor and I are always trying to one up each other. Today he got me back good because he plowed my driveway. I went snowmobiling and was going to plow my driveway when I got back. He saw it was unplowed and got it done before I could get home.

He said he owed me because I pulled him out of the mud last spring. I said it was already paid back because I own land around him and he never complains about me having gravel trucks, skidders and pulp trucks near his house.

Then there was the time he needed help getting his deer out of the woods. I used my tractor to help drag it out as it was over a mile back inthewoods, and he gave me quite a bit of meat from it. At some point the silliness just has got to stop. We are neighbors so we are supposed to do these things.

I remember last year hearing about a guy in the city that shot a kid and killed him for walking on his lawn. Come on, kill someone over a few crushed sprigs of fescue and you are asking me if I need to be convinced?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:58 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,659,538 times
I was visiting my relatives in Rural SE Missouri a few years back, farming area with gravel roads, anyway my cousin's son had put his camero in the ditch off the side of the road, We go out with a sling and dig down to the axle, just about then a guy in a tractor comes by, He say "hi Joe" Joe is my Uncle, My uncle say "how ya doin Ben" by now this guy has backed up to the CAmero and Uncle Joe has attached the sling. So Farmer Ben say's something about plowing the 40 over by the creek, by now the camero is on the road again. Ben drives off and I look at Uncle Joe and says "Did you call the guy with the tractor" Joe says "no, he was just passin by",,,
Anyway the Moral to the story is these folks help each other without any "you owe me's",, and they do it often enough that it's a non-event, they do it without thinking

Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 PM

711 posts, read 1,887,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Here is another story from rural America that I think is funny. My neighbor and I are always trying to one up each other. Today he got me back good because he plowed my driveway. I went snowmobiling and was going to plow my driveway when I got back. He saw it was unplowed and got it done before I could get home.

He said he owed me because I pulled him out of the mud last spring. I said it was already paid back because I own land around him and he never complains about me having gravel trucks, skidders and pulp trucks near his house.

Then there was the time he needed help getting his deer out of the woods. I used my tractor to help drag it out as it was over a mile back inthewoods, and he gave me quite a bit of meat from it. At some point the silliness just has got to stop. We are neighbors so we are supposed to do these things.

I remember last year hearing about a guy in the city that shot a kid and killed him for walking on his lawn. Come on, kill someone over a few crushed sprigs of fescue and you are asking me if I need to be convinced?
That is a good story! It's good to have neighbors like that. But then you have to go off and ruin the post by adding in "a guy in the city that shot a kid and killed him for walking on his lawn." Yeah, that happens all the time

How about this video? I'll go on and assume this goes on every day too;
Rednecks Versus BMW Owners - Video
Heaven forbid a nice car go driving through "their town."

Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,064,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I think I live in as close to an ideal situation as can possibly be in my opinion. I live in a semi-rural area about 3 miles from a city of about 10 thousand with shopping (groceries, dept stores,movies, restaurants etc...), about 15 miles from a city of about 80 thousand which has a few cultural opportunitues for entertainment as well as very complete and varied shopping opportunitues, and live about 100 miles from a much larger city where you can go for massive amounts of shopping, cultural entertainment, pro sports etc...

For us anyway, it doesn't get any better than this location wise.
I think the ultimate best deal, as I see it, is a rural/small town within a day's drive from an urban area with more diverse cultural amenities. I grew up with this (drive to Chicago could be done in 2-3 hours, depending on traffic), and we surely took advantage of both the cultural resources of an urban area and the cost-effectiveness and community aspect of a non-urban area to the utmost. It was truly the best of both worlds, and made us more well-rounded, more adaptible, interesting, and interested people than those who neglect to venture outside their immediate environments and comfort zones for much of their lives.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,798,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Personally, I'll take my friendly neighborhood and the anonymity of living in the city over the charming "everyone knows everyone!!!!!!!!!....so they're all in my business" lifestyle of a small town.
I have lived in rural Missouri since 1987. In a small town of 461 people and I doubt if I know four people well enough to speak to them on the street. I was really sweating it when I had to give references during my last job interview because I didn't know enough people. Finally, I had to put a couple of friends of my husband's.

Nobody knows my business. That is the way *I* want it to be and that is the way it is. If people are all in your business it is because you have let it be that way.

I lived in cities all my life. It wasn't until I moved to Missouri at the tender age of 32 that I realized how wonderful country living can be. But it ISN'T for everyone. I don't begrudge people who live in an urban or suburban environment, but having "been there and done that", I can't understand the attraction. To each his own.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 22,194,184 times
Are you trying to convince me, or yourselves?

I am not trying to convince anybody, but I have lived both ways and the country is by far the best way to live. When something acts like an animal in the country, it usually is an animal.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,952,884 times
Intersting story about the differences in thought process between urban and rural folks. A couple years back, a couple from SOCAL (Orange county) moved into a place up the highway from me. The places out here butt up to a vast range of public land that you can't see the end to. I had taken a dirt road up to an old gravel pit that we frequent as a place to target shoot and sometimes we hop the fence into the fields opposite and thin the varmints out, we know the rancher that owns them and he welcomes the help. Anyway< I had a new rifle I was trying out and we were happily blazing away at some old cans, when we saw some dust comeing up the road. Westopped shooting to let them pass or whatever but this gal pulls up to us and starts screaming about our shooting. The place she moved into is a good 2 miles away and she launches into a tirade about how "we can't shoot rifles around here She has horses!" "Ummm...OK" we says looking confused. So we inform her that this is a common occurance herebouts and this old pit( with ample backstop and distance) is used ALL the time for shooting our rifles. She don't like that answer and proceeds to dial 911.. Weshrug and continue with what we were doing and waited for the deputy to get pulled off something no doubt more important to come out and straighten it all up. Bout a half hour later ( we are a ways out) a TOWN cop shows up ( a guy I went to school with) drives up and gets out to see whats up. Weasks him why he's there and not a deputy and he tells us they were tied up on a wreck and since it was a 911 someone HAD to show and he got elected. His displeasure at her for dialing 911 for this situation was obvious. So we talk for a spell he checks out my new saddle gun on the aforementioned cans, almost causing the transplant an apoplexy, and tells us to carry on. He goes over and chews this gal a new one for being so ignorant and heads on out.Lol but a month later they up and cleared out. See ya!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or