U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times

Advertisements

Sometimes people who move to rural areas send "mixed messages"

A couple moved in a few miles out of town and let it ve known they wanted to be "left alone"

They commuted to work 30 miles away, never bought anything ( gas ,groceries, etc) in our town, attended no church,belonged to no organizations.

They went broke ( foreclosed) and moved out in the middle of the night.
My neighbor stopped to help them lift some havy furniture as he saw their 2 little kids huddling outside.

They were polite , thanked him, then blasted our town and area for having unfriendly people.

??????????????

They--did-- state to people who dropped in to welcome them a few years back that they wanted to be --------" left alone"

Neighbors obliged them and now get blasted ????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM

32,566 posts, read 17,994,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
That's all for my post. In the mean time, I'll post a few topics started on another forum for my old hometown.

Cary A****, Beard or Man???
- This topic was started by a supposed ex-girlfriend who wanted
[.[/b]

Benton Fireman cursing on open air
[b]- Another wonderful trait of the small town, sitting around listening to the police scanner so they can call all of their friends and tell them who got pulled over and/or arrested.

What is your opinion about Chris K***
Chris, a forum frequent who is constantly putting down the town for its politics, has a post dedicated to him..

Man...I MISS THE SMALL TOWN LIFE!
If you are going around to other forums to scrounge around the "hillbilly" topics, you DO miss the small town!

Think of it this way, if it were not for small towns and small town forum threads, you would not have anyone or anything to bash and consequently make yourself feel

You might find this shocking, so brace yourself, many people in small towns do not gossip and do not spend time on internet forums. If they want to talk about others, so be it. People in big cities talk about topics that will not interest you either. Does that mean you will soon be copy/pasting threads you find there too? Save yourself the trouble. We are not interested.

Many enjoy living in small towns and if you don't get it, shrug it off and get on with your life and don't worry about what others are doing or where they choose to live or what they are talking about.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 AM

5,235 posts, read 11,814,109 times
Somerset Maugham said it well...."In the country the darkness of night is friendly and familiar but in a city with its blaze of lights, it is unnatural, hostile and menacing. It is like a monstrous vulture that hovers, biding its time."

I'm from a big city in the Los Angeles area, moved to a rural town in Texas and would never live in the city again. I'm really wanting to leave the heat, humid subtropical weather, and tornadoes of Texas behind me and I've never really been too keen living in a southern state, so I'm on another quest to find the right place to retire. Texas has great winters when it doesn't get over 68 degrees, but unfortunately, it does just that off and on.

Is anyone from Idaho or Utah posting on this forum? I thought of CO too, but its population is way too many. NM was another serious consideration, but it has way too much crime. I'm looking for beautiful mountains, no desert, cooler and shorter summers, and not too much snow, maybe an average of 24 inches or less.

Yes, I will post on those forums as well in due course, but thought I'd try the rural forum first. Oh, I'd prefer a really small town like no more than 2,000 people although I want to live outside of the town and not in it know matter how small it is.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 01-28-2009 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: changed font

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
Well, 23 years ago, I moved to a rural area. I bought a house on 1/3 acre, and put in a chicken coop, fruit trees, many many flower gardens, a vegetable garden, and a greenhouse. I was very happy. Then the local folks and new city people decided that they were going to start passing ordinances. The first to go was the chicken coop - which po'ed my neighbors as they were getting free eggs. Then they decided that my blackberries, daylilies, roses, and fruit trees had to go; they wanted grass in front yards and it could only be so high. They passed ordinances about house colors and tried to fine my friend who had a light green house with forest-green trim. They fussed so much that I had my yard declared a Wildlife Habitat, and they called my insurance company to re-evaluate my house and yard, because it was "dangerous". Thy got their Wal Mart and Starbucks and everything they wanted - and were proud of what they had done. Everyone was rushing to and fro, going to the latest eating place, fighting over any and everything. Then the drugs and illegals moved in and there were home invasions, muggings, gangs and shootings and stabbings. The new newspaper wouldn't even report them, so as not to upset people and lose their advertisers (real estate and restaurants and bars).

We bought a house this past year on 60 acres in the middle of no-freaking-where NE. We didn't come here to whine about what the area didn't have, we came here to have what we had before and not have to be ordinanced out. We like the people, and we like the area, and we can do as we danged well please on our own property. DH can do his woodworking and fix up the 100 year-old-house and no one complains about the noise or sawdust. No one fusses about the horse in the pasture or the compost pile in the garden. Everyone likes my flower gardens and WANTS me to put in a greenhouse, put milk cows back on the property (used to be the town dairy), and comes by to talk and to share and to invite us to things. On our anniversary, the neighbor hitched up his buckboard and took us for a ride around town - and we had only told one person that it was our anniversary. We gave them a loaf of homemade bread. A neighbor saw we had gophers and treated our yard for them without being asked. I made them something in my ceramics shop in the basement. No one complains about the smells from the shop or the kitchen, or about the frozen deer hanging in the garage waiting to be butchered.

Simply, from my observations, city people and city-people-wannabes not only can't mind their own business, but want everyone else to be forced to live just like they do. They have a lemming mindset; everyone must look and act and be the same. They like the overblown McMansion developments, with the siding already rippling and peeling, and everything identical down to the lawn furniture colors. They LIKE the shopping malls and the stores that they have to drive to because nothing is in walking distance. They LIKE the artificial (actually, drainage) ponds with the fake fountains. They LIKE the falsity of self-imposed and regulated ambiance. It makes them feel safe. They pretend that violence and vandalism and drugs and gang activity are the norm and put up with it. They like bragging about the best place in town to eat, drink, or party - and the more expensive and tasteless the food and decor, the better they like it. They are constantly vying with each other over silly stuff that doesn't matter in a year, five years, 10 years, for their own personal empowerment and one-upmanship. That's why many of them move to the country - they were nobody where they came from, and they think they can pull something over on the 'rubes' to empower themselves. When the rubes ignore them they are called insensitive and mean. If the rubes listen to them, they try to destroy it just like they destroyed their previous place, so it looks the same as where they lived before. Either way, it's always the rubes' fault.

We are peaceable happy people who are content with ourselves. People who like us, like us. People who don't, don't matter. We have a big bay window that faces the street; I made a huge chess set with the North and South on a Fort Sumpter replica, put it in the window and backlit it, and every one in town talks about it. We eat mountain oysters and put money, time, and efforts toward local events when we can. We go down to the local watering hole and make friends and watch football and eat and drink and have fun - and then we go home. We don't care who knows what about us, or what they say. We like ourselves and don't want to change anyone. If people ask for help, we help if and when we can. Otherwise we stay out of folks' business, and they stay out of ours. I hope this place is NEVER "discovered" by city people. It is just too much fun and too beautiful to ruin. The closest Wal Mart is 150 miles away, and so is the closest Interstate - and that's just how we like it.

Last edited by SCGranny; 01-28-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 PM

711 posts, read 1,887,659 times
^ Actually, true urbanites hate the McMansions and hate urban sprawl that destroys small areas. One town I keep referencing is a town called Wentzville, MO, 40 miles out of St. Louis. It had under 7000 people in 2000 and now has over 40k residents.

I think a lot of the disdain for urban areas is the mindset that city people are rude, and want everyone to be like them. I just don't think St. Louis really falls in to that category. My neighbors are very friendly; the house to the north is an 82 year old woman who raised all of her children in her home and has lived there for 54 years. Across the street is a young couple in their 20s, not sure what she does, but he is a laborer and musician by night. The house to the south is a single guy, not sure what he does, but keeps to himself and is very friendly when you do see him. We had forgotten his name but he still refers to us by our first names when we see him (kind of embarassing for us actually). Across my back yard is a school teacher who introduced herself when I was showing my friend the new house and she saw us milling around back there.

Just like some of you probably feel I stereotyped you, people in the city are stereotyped as well. We go to church every Sunday, I work in technology, and my wife stays at home with our 1 1/2 yr old. Not everyone that lives in a big city lives in a loft downtown and goes to the trendy restaurants and bars every night, I can assure you.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
CC, we looked in ID, WY, MT, and CO, but there were too many CAians moving there and raising the prices. So we looked in ND, SD, and NE and settled on NE. I've lived in NM; the crime is only in the cities, in the truly rural areas not so much. We like the winters, though, and the changing seasons. It depends on where you go to find tornadoes; this county has the fewest in the state. Everywhere you go you'll have natural calamities that you won't like; hurricanes, fires, earthquakes, blizzards, endless summers, endless winters, tornadoes, ice storms - it just depends on what you are looking for. Oddly, CO is warmer than here most times! And northern Id's weather is not like Southern ID. UT has varied weather all across the state, from SLC to Provo to down by the state line... Just never believe the Weather Channel; I've seen them talk about "massive droughts" while the farmers are looking at their crops and saying, "What drought?" And seen them standing in normal full-moon, high-tide overflow and talking about the 'massive flooding'. And when they whine about the winds reaching 30 mph, we have 60 mph and don't bat an eye! Fortunately we live in flyover country, where they mostly ignore us.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I think a lot of the disdain for urban areas is the mindset that city people are rude, and want everyone to be like them.
I have to disagree. One, I never woke up one day and said to myself, golly gee, these city people are rude and want me to be like them, so I am moving to a small town. Where did you come up with that?

I don't think you can generalize WHY people have disdain for city life, and the reason is simple. The reasons people enjoy living in a small town versus living in a large city/suburb/metro are unique.

Especially those who have roots in both. I have lived in both rural and big city. (Rural Oklahoma and Los Angeles)

Both have their good points, but I have never in my life tried to convince anyone anywhere to make the same move. They have their life and I have mine. I am very happy where I live and don't understand why your OP was phrased in such a way as to convince yourself that others are trying to convince anyone of anything.

Quote:
Just like some of you probably feel I stereotyped you, people in the city are stereotyped as well.
Not at all, we all love listening to our scanners and gossiping about the neighbors. The only stereotype I have of people in the city is that they enjoy living in the city.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 PM

4,998 posts, read 6,808,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Somerset Maugham said it well...."In the country the darkness of night is friendly and familiar but in a city with its blaze of lights, it is unnatural, hostile and menacing. It is like a monstrous vulture that hovers, biding its time."

I'm from a big city in the Los Angeles area, moved to a rural town in Texas and would never live in the city again. I'm really wanting to leave the heat, humid subtropical weather, and tornadoes of Texas behind me and I've never really been too keen living in a southern state, so I'm on another quest to find the right place to retire. Texas has great winters when it doesn't get over 68 degrees, but unfortunately, it does just that off and on.

Is anyone from Idaho or Utah posting on this forum? I thought of CO too, but its population is way too many. NM was another serious consideration, but it has way too much crime. I'm looking for beautiful mountains, no desert, cooler and shorter summers, and not too much snow, maybe an average of 24 inches or less.

Yes, I will post on those forums as well in due course, but thought I'd try the rural forum first. Oh, I'd prefer a really small town like no more than 2,000 people although I want to live outside of the town and not in it know matter how small it is.
I'm from extremely rural north Idaho but our winters have way too much snow for what you're looking for.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:03 PM

711 posts, read 1,887,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I have to disagree. One, I never woke up one day and said to myself, golly gee, these city people are rude and want me to be like them, so I am moving to a small town. Where did you come up with that?

I don't think you can generalize WHY people have disdain for city life, and the reason is simple. The reasons people enjoy living in a small town versus living in a large city/suburb/metro are unique.

Especially those who have roots in both. I have lived in both rural and big city. (Rural Oklahoma and Los Angeles)

Both have their good points, but I have never in my life tried to convince anyone anywhere to make the same move. They have their life and I have mine. I am very happy where I live and don't understand why your OP was phrased in such a way as to convince yourself that others are trying to convince anyone of anything.

Not at all, we all love listening to our scanners and gossiping about the neighbors. The only stereotype I have of people in the city is that they enjoy living in the city.
Nothing wrong with listening to the police scanner But, I will say the scanner listening is much more interesting in the city, except for you don't know the names they're naming

Old 02-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Otherwise we stay out of folks' business, and they stay out of ours. I hope this place is NEVER "discovered" by city people. It is just too much fun and too beautiful to ruin. The closest Wal Mart is 150 miles away, and so is the closest Interstate - and that's just how we like it.
SCGranny, I loved your post. I only cut it to save space. We would be considered hermits by most people's standards. But we are 100% content where we are, and it is a blessing to see nothing but wildlife and nature out all our windows.

I have read a wide variety of why people move from the city and it's all good. Equally valid are why some folks who are raised in small towns leave as quickly as they can once they come of age. Personal preferences need no validation from total strangers on a public forum.

We are on good terms with our distant neighbors, and we far enough away from any of them so we don't see them. But if needed, I know they would help out in a heartbeat. As we would for them.

I simply don't agree with the OP's line of thought that we are "trying to convince him or ourselves" of anything. And we don't listen to the scanner. We could care less who is getting pulled over or arrested. I'm not knocking it, just saying I'll pass on that hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or