U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 PM

711 posts, read 1,887,486 times

Advertisements

The police scanner thing may be a stereotype, but its still a very real thing in small towns. One time I got pulled over on the way home from school at 20 years old and by time I got home my parents already knew because someone had called and told them they heard my name on the police scanner.

Nothing like privacy in a small town

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
SCGranny, I loved your post. I only cut it to save space. We would be considered hermits by most people's standards. But we are 100% content where we are, and it is a blessing to see nothing but wildlife and nature out all our windows.

I have read a wide variety of why people move from the city and it's all good. Equally valid are why some folks who are raised in small towns leave as quickly as they can once they come of age. Personal preferences need no validation from total strangers on a public forum.

We are on good terms with our distant neighbors, and we far enough away from any of them so we don't see them. But if needed, I know they would help out in a heartbeat. As we would for them.

I simply don't agree with the OP's line of thought that we are "trying to convince him or ourselves" of anything. And we don't listen to the scanner. We could care less who is getting pulled over or arrested. I'm not knocking it, just saying I'll pass on that hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 AM

81 posts, read 175,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Here is another story from rural America that I think is funny. My neighbor and I are always trying to one up each other. Today he got me back good because he plowed my driveway. I went snowmobiling and was going to plow my driveway when I got back. He saw it was unplowed and got it done before I could get home.

He said he owed me because I pulled him out of the mud last spring. I said it was already paid back because I own land around him and he never complains about me having gravel trucks, skidders and pulp trucks near his house.

Then there was the time he needed help getting his deer out of the woods. I used my tractor to help drag it out as it was over a mile back inthewoods, and he gave me quite a bit of meat from it. At some point the silliness just has got to stop. We are neighbors so we are supposed to do these things.

I remember last year hearing about a guy in the city that shot a kid and killed him for walking on his lawn. Come on, kill someone over a few crushed sprigs of fescue and you are asking me if I need to be convinced?
I know what you mean . . . Our neighbor drives an old golf cart to the end of the road to take the garbage can out every week. Last summer, my husband went out to take out our trash, and it was gone. Well, the neighbor decided he'd take ours too, and he's done it ever since.

If I'm out in town and it's getting dark and the ducks need to be put away so they won't get eaten, we just call a neighbor. One time I left the sprinkler on when we were going to be gone all day but I just called the neighbor and he shut it off for me. I never worry when my husband's gone and I'm here with the kids. The cops couldn't get here for a while, but we have good neighbors all around us who are armed and ready to help protect me and my kids if need be. What a blessing to live in the country!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:15 AM

9,784 posts, read 11,269,350 times
[quote=AJohnston_STL;6933502]

I don't get it. Why are you so frightened by city people? You all wonder why "city slickers" think small towns are full of close minded, slack jawed yokels, but then at the same time are posting threads like these, which in my opinion validates their idea. I understand being annoyed by city people who move in to a small town and try to change everything, but when I lived in a small town about 350 miles south of Chicago, we had many Chicagoans move in over the years, and a small percentage of them used the "Well in Chicago we...." line or tried to change anything. It was more of the same, where 95% of the locals felt like the world ended at their city limits and that their stupid town-of-7000 politics actually mattered in the real world.

Many of you who live in rural areas are immediately going to get all thin-skinned on me and get angry and smug, but don't be that way; really think about it. You spend so much time bashing city people while the city people aren't even thinking about you. Are you trying to convince yourselves, or do you really have so much hate and contempt in your heart that you can't stop judging others?

Ask any small town dweller if he really thinks town or county is of any real consequence in a world of nearly 6.8 billion. Only the retarded would thing it is.

Now ask someone who lives in Chicago the same thing. He'll start foaming at the mouth.

But in a world of 6.8 billion, neither place has any importance.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 PM

5,109 posts, read 7,829,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
I know what you mean . . . Our neighbor drives an old golf cart to the end of the road to take the garbage can out every week. Last summer, my husband went out to take out our trash, and it was gone. Well, the neighbor decided he'd take ours too, and he's done it ever since.

If I'm out in town and it's getting dark and the ducks need to be put away so they won't get eaten, we just call a neighbor. One time I left the sprinkler on when we were going to be gone all day but I just called the neighbor and he shut it off for me. I never worry when my husband's gone and I'm here with the kids. The cops couldn't get here for a while, but we have good neighbors all around us who are armed and ready to help protect me and my kids if need be. What a blessing to live in the country!
This is another misconception though-that if one lives in the city your neighbors are not going to look out for you (or shoot you for walking on the grass). I take my neighbors trash cans out and watch the dogs. I take over food to my 78 yo windowed neighbor a couple of times a week just to check up on him. We babysit in a moments notice or help dry out a basement. Etc Etc Etc... All of these same neighbors and more are always there to help us when we need a hand and are always watching out for us. I can't even walk down the street in my city neighborhood without being talked to or invited to dinner or drinks or the ball game with my neighbors. I spend most weekends with them in either structured or completely random settings and thats the way I like it, this, it seems would drive many of you to shoot yourself in the head if you had to socialize like this and folks just walked into your garden uninvited with a bottle of wine and cheese and crackers and some stories to tell, and that is just fine, but for me that is a life that I wish to live.

Just as there are absolutely horrible unfriendly folks in the city there are always more friendly and helpful folks -it is a more anonymous existence though and for some this lessens the social mores that one might feel when there are always folks who know you are nearby. But we also have all heard about very cantankerous, mean and downright crazy folks living in the country as well shooting at folks for no reason.

A lot of misconceptions and perceptions on both sides of the fence on this issue if you ask me. I grew up a very small town, and have worked many summers in extreme rural midwest areas on a family farm. Also have lived in very large and medium sized cities in between. I love many small towns, and big cities, love the country and mountains even more; know that there are good and interesting as well as bad and negative folks everywhere and try to engage the former and ignore the latter regardless of where I'm at.
Some of us are more social or more private than others and need different kinds of stimulation whether it is a museum, a bustling city sidewalk or a rural church social or quiet contemplation fishing, hiking or painting in the woods.
I'm not against city folks or country folks. I'm against mean spirited folks, and folks who make sweeping generalizations; all cities are hell and their inhabitants are evil and all country folks are hicks and hate people, especially anyone slightly different from themselves.

Lighten up a little folks.

Peace

Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,269,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
But we also have all heard about very cantankerous, mean and downright crazy folks living in the country as well shooting at folks for no reason.
If you think a country boy is shooting at you for no reason you're wrong. It just means he's hungry. I can recommend two movies that illustrate the country way in a very true-to-life way. Wrong Turn is about really typical country people, the kind you're certain to meet if you go more than a few miles past the suburbs.
Hulu - Wrong Turn - Watch the full feature film now. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/50976/wrong-turn - broken link)

And let's not forget that beloved family classic of real country life, Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Now you know why they're shooting at you, and why they act cantankerous and mean. They're just hungry.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM

5,109 posts, read 7,829,086 times
Nice!

Guess the larder was getting low on roadkill ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or