U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM

711 posts, read 1,887,271 times

Advertisements

I'm from a small town & moved to a city. Small town living was not for me, just as I suppose city living isn't for everyone...but it's like you are all trying to convince each other that rural living is the "only" way to live. From page 1 alone, I found these 3 threads;
cities dull the mind, lead to more aggression, and less self-control
Rules for city folks moving to the country
Do we simple country folk need slickers' advanced thinking? Heck, no!

I don't get it. Why are you so frightened by city people? You all wonder why "city slickers" think small towns are full of close minded, slack jawed yokels, but then at the same time are posting threads like these, which in my opinion validates their idea. I understand being annoyed by city people who move in to a small town and try to change everything, but when I lived in a small town about 350 miles south of Chicago, we had many Chicagoans move in over the years, and a small percentage of them used the "Well in Chicago we...." line or tried to change anything. It was more of the same, where 95% of the locals felt like the world ended at their city limits and that their stupid town-of-7000 politics actually mattered in the real world.

Personally, I'll take my friendly neighborhood and the anonymity of living in the city over the charming "everyone knows everyone!!!!!!!!!....so they're all in my business" lifestyle of a small town. I go to a website called [domain blocked due to spam] where virtually every city and small town in United States has their own message board, and its constantly the same over and over. People bickering over city politics and what guy is cheating on his wife and all of this. Ridiculous.

Many of you who live in rural areas are immediately going to get all thin-skinned on me and get angry and smug, but don't be that way; really think about it. You spend so much time bashing city people while the city people aren't even thinking about you. Are you trying to convince yourselves, or do you really have so much hate and contempt in your heart that you can't stop judging others?

That's all for my post. In the mean time, I'll post a few topics started on another forum for my old hometown.

Cary A****, Beard or Man???
- This topic was started by a supposed ex-girlfriend who wanted to take the opportunity to bash her ex, talking about how he lives with his mom, etc. This is in a village of 700 people. Last name was changed to protect the innocent.
Jim M--- in a domestic with wife Lisa
- Someone "heard" about this so thought they would post it for the whole world to see. Last name was changed to protect the innocent.

Benton Fireman cursing on open air
- Another wonderful trait of the small town, sitting around listening to the police scanner so they can call all of their friends and tell them who got pulled over and/or arrested. In this case, they are putting down one of "Benton's finest" because they think they heard him swear on the air. Another poster chimed in to make comments about the firefighters pictures on his wife's myspace and how he's dressed up like a girl; the comment is "I am pretty sure that there is one Benton fireman who likes to wear womens clothing. If you do not believe me look on his wife's Myspace!!! I kinda like the wig myself!!" The firefighter responded to defend his honor saying that he lets his YOUNG CHILDREN dress him up, and as he put it, "It's caled being a DAD." I couldn't agree more, but hey, he's in a small town; HE CAN'T DO STUFF LIKE THAT DOWN HERE!

What is your opinion about Chris K***
Chris, a forum frequent who is constantly putting down the town for its politics, has a post dedicated to him...another chance to crucify him publicly online while hiding behind a screen name.

Man...I MISS THE SMALL TOWN LIFE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 02:04 PM

17,088 posts, read 22,602,664 times
I've lived in rural areas and cities. I don't need to convince myself of anything: I despise cities. Cities are Hell to me. Overcrowded, polluted, dirty, unnatural, little chance to be self-sufficient, etc.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
To be honest with you, your post sounds like a troll but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have worked in cities, but my residence has always been in a small rural town in Maine. There is something like 200 people here, and yet when a crazy birth parent tried to abduct a foster child we had, the local store refused to say where we lived. Not only that, word got out that they were up to no good and they were soon approached and asked to leave town semi-politely. No police were called, no kidnapping took place, just a kid being protected by a community that cares.

As for community, the average wage here is like 22K a year, yet when my dad's house burned down, a benefit supper (which is a supper where everyone brings a dish of food and people pay $5 bucks to eat a meal that rivals the best restaurant in the country bar none) raised 18,000 dollars. I'm just guessing but in the city you'd probably be lucky to have the insurance adjuster show up in a week, let alone an entire community show up and chip in to have your home rebuilt. (By the way, the fire department here gets up at 3 AM to put out fires because they care...no pay at all for these guys.)

But here is the thing, you cannot park your Geo Metro on the street without locking the doors on it. We park a ½ million dollar silage chopper in the middle of a field, far from any homes, unlocked with the keys in it and sleep all night long without once having a concern that it will be messed with. The ¼ million dollar tractor sits right next to it, and yes it has the keys in it too.

I don't even know if the lock on my front door works.

I know my car door locks work because in August I have to keep from being Zukinied. That's when people with gardens spy your car and think you can use some extra produce so they fill your car with fresh zucchini, carrots, potatoes and Beans. Its sounds like BS but this actually happens. I lock my car doors to keep the fresh veggies to a reasonable level.

In short I don't have to be convinced its better here. City dwellers pay through the nose in property taxes to live in fear, and buy fresh produce that is free here. You are welcome to your life, but I'll gladly pay nothing for peace of mind in rural USA. If it simply takes ignoring a few people that like to mingle in other peoples business...so be it. You are obviously a person that cannot do that and I can see why small town life bothered you.

Last edited by BrokenTap; 01-10-2009 at 03:08 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I don't know if this is country...small town...suburbia or city, but it sounds to me like you just walked into a bar and tried to pick a fight? In the forum world, posters like this are called trolls so I'll keep quiet. The best way to keep a fight at bay is to ignore it after all.

Mods...I think you know what I am getting at here. Nothing good can come of this thread.
I'm from rural America, so I peruse this forum from time to time. I just don't understand why you can't seem to focus on rural living and instead constantly have to bash people who don't live like you. It seems that the posters of these threads are bashing on city people because of how city people "tell you" to live, but you can't stop talking about how city people live. Why so much hate?

Quote:
I've lived in rural areas and cities. I don't need to convince myself of anything: I despise cities. Cities are Hell to me. Overcrowded, polluted, dirty, unnatural, little chance to be self-sufficient, etc.
Thank you for your response!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,948,033 times
Ummm..are you trying to convince US or yourself, if I may ask. Seriously, I'm far from thin skinned on this issue. My "stupid" town of 5000 matters very much in the "real" world to me. It IS my world and I like it like that. My skyline is mountains and desert, the only predators I worry about have four legs, I don't worry about my young son traipsing off by himself into the desert, I raise my own meat animals and do all my own butchering and processing, and I care about a rat turd in a whirlwind what anyone thinks of our lifestyle. It can get slightly annoying to hear city dwellers run us down and stereotype us but it matters very little in the grand scheme. Worthy, perhaps, of passing notice so long as it's not "in my face". Most hard headed city transplants don't last long herebouts but that has nothing to do with how we treat or view them. They just can't hack it. Self reliance is prerequisite out here and they don't have any. I'm as equally out of place in the city so I only go there when I absolutley have to. The OP is a bit of a rant , it seems to me. Thats my opinion anyway. City folks are wound a bit tighter so thats OK. Different strokes right?.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,222,222 times
What bothers me about small town life is the fact that everybody knows everybody and if you are a transplant, it can take a long time to make friends if its even possible at all. I grew up in both big cities and small towns, and when I was 16 my father retired and moved the family from a large city to a town of about 500 people outside Fort Smith, Arkansas. I was treated like a martian, and it had nothing to do with showing elitism or anything - it was the fact that everybody there grew up together and had absolutely no interest in making new friends. The next five years were some of the lonliest of my life. I am not sure if all small towns are that way, but in my experience, if you weren't born and raised there, you are nothing.

And if you are the slightest bit different....whether as far as your interests or something such as your skin has a little shade, you might as well hang it up.

Last edited by bchris02; 01-10-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 03:45 PM

15,584 posts, read 7,660,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Many of you who live in rural areas are immediately going to get all thin-skinned on me and get angry and smug, but don't be that way; really think about it. You spend so much time bashing city people while the city people aren't even thinking about you. Are you trying to convince yourselves, or do you really have so much hate and contempt in your heart that you can't stop judging others?

That's funny you mention that AJ. Just recently, an O.P inquired about suburbs in the St. Louis area.

Most Interesting Suburb Not Named Clayton

The O.P. mentioned she would rather not live in the city and you made a "thin-skinned" comment yourself on this post.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6863505-post2.html

Old 01-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ummm..are you trying to convince US or yourself, if I may ask. Seriously, I'm far from thin skinned on this issue. My "stupid" town of 5000 matters very much in the "real" world to me. It IS my world and I like it like that. My skyline is mountains and desert, the only predators I worry about have four legs, I don't worry about my young son traipsing off by himself into the desert, I raise my own meat animals and do all my own butchering and processing, and I care about a rat turd in a whirlwind what anyone thinks of our lifestyle. It can get slightly annoying to hear city dwellers run us down and stereotype us but it matters very little in the grand scheme. Worthy, perhaps, of passing notice so long as it's not "in my face". Most hard headed city transplants don't last long herebouts but that has nothing to do with how we treat or view them. They just can't hack it. Self reliance is prerequisite out here and they don't have any. I'm as equally out of place in the city so I only go there when I absolutley have to. The OP is a bit of a rant , it seems to me. Thats my opinion anyway. City folks are wound a bit tighter so thats OK. Different strokes right?.
Actually, I like this response a lot! Why? Because you don't seem to be judgemental, you are just saying why you like how you live, and I respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02
What bothers me about small town life is the fact that everybody knows everybody and if you are a transplant, it can take a long time to make friends if its even possible at all. I grew up in both big cities and small towns, and when I was 16 my father retired and moved the family from a large city to a town of about 500 people outside Fort Smith, Arkansas. I was treated like a martian, and it had nothing to do with showing elitism or anything - it was the fact that everybody there grew up together and had absolutely no interest in making new friends. The next five years were some of the lonliest of my life. I am not sure if all small towns are that way, but in my experience, if you weren't born and raised there, you are nothing.

And if you are the slightest bit different....whether as far as your interests or something such as your skin has a little shade, you might as well hang it up.
Good response on this one as well. I grew up in the small town and know what you mean. If a new kid came to school and had a strange hair color, or a lip ring, or a big necklace, he was made fun of. Not just behind his back, but to his face. It was difficult for them to make friends, until they would eventually blend in with the other outcasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative
That's funny you mention that AJ. Just recently, an O.P inquired about suburbs in the St. Louis area.

Most Interesting Suburb Not Named Clayton

The O.P. mentioned she would rather not live in the city and you made a "thin-skinned" comment yourself on this post.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6863505-post2.html
Wow...really? My response was thin-skinned? Which one? The one where I asked why they instantly ruled out the city, but then complimented the suburb they asked about by saying it was nice and high class? Or to the RURAL PERSON who gave a response that gave NO HELP whatsoever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12go
I've never understood the higher prices in many of the STL areas of the city. I mean lets face it, a driveway that isn't big enough to back a 28 foot trailer into or there isn't even a driveway at all (that's just plain dumb!) , why is these places so over priced? Parking on a busy street is not a good lifestyle. Why would I not want to live in the city? Because saying bless you to your neighbor when they sneeze and you are both in your homes is too close together!
You think this is not a "rural elitist" posting here? A 28 foot trailer in your driveway? My "thin-skinned" response was from someone intentionally trying to pick a fight. The person asked about the suburbs, and I'm pretty sure even suburban St. Louis doesn't have too many driveways that can hold a 28 foot trailer. I must say I appreciate the line "why is these places so overpriced?" Now there's a cunning linguist!

Sorry, but you'll have to find a better example than that.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,657,955 times
This thread kind of reminds me of Politics, The 2yr senator says the Governor has no experiance, and vice a versa....Yes you'll read alot of post from Rural Folks complaining about City Slickers wanting to change everything... and if you scan around city data you'll find plenty of post from city people saying that country folks are "stuck in thier ways" or "Closeminded".....
and look further and you'll find post from country folks who moved to the city, and complain about people being rude and always in a hurry....
Hey Folks everyone is different, don't move from what you know, without a little knowledge, then expect the place you move too to conform with what you think is normal...normal for the new place is what you see when you get there.....if you don't like it don't move there. Be it a city or a suburb or a Rural area...
and remember opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one......

Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,255,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
I'm from a small town & moved to a city. Small town living was not for me, just as I suppose city living isn't for everyone...but it's like you are all trying to convince each other that rural living is the "only" way to live. From page 1 alone, I found these 3 threads;
cities dull the mind, lead to more aggression, and less self-control
Rules for city folks moving to the country
Do we simple country folk need slickers' advanced thinking? Heck, no!

As the original poster for the two threads which I have boldfaced, I encourage you to go back and read those posts more carefully. You might also read other posts from me. You'll find that I agree with you that city living isn't for everyone. You won't find that I am trying to convince anyone that rural living is the only way to live. On the contrary, I DIScourage almost all city people from moving to small towns or the country; I ENcourage all city people to think carefully about such a move.

Too many people are like Nexxie on the Missouri board who posted a message titled "OMG what have I done" or something like that. Poor Nexxie moved here from Florida to a new home on 120 acres on the Gasconade River over by Hartville, a small and peaceful Missouri town. Unfortunately, it didn't have a shopping mall or a busy city park. When I pointed out to her that she didn't need a park if she had 120 acres of farm to work and explore, she accused me of being materialistic. I told her that I hoped she could find a way to move back to Florida, for only there would she find earthly happiness.

The only person I have discovered on these boards who I think has a good chance of becoming a happy rural Missourian is Cali Bassman, who is looking forward to the seclusion of rural living so he can raise horses and go fishing and hunting. He also has relatives in Missouri, and I think that's important if anyone plans a move to a rural area.

Anyone who wants to leave the city and move to another state probably ought to move to a city. In the case of my state, I recommend city slickers consider St. Louis first, for it has an Eastern orientation. If that's not to their liking, then move to Kansas City. Springfield is the next largest city, but it's really just a big small town. It doesn't have a Whole Foods or Trader Jack's (Joe's, I don't know for sure the correct name), and that bothers many urbanites and suburbanites who move there.

In almost all cases, I think urbanites and suburbanites should stay where they are, or at least stay away from rural Missouri. We prefer they not come to rural Missouri and start demonstrating how "progressive" and "modern" thinking they are for us back'ards thinking individuals. We've got enough homegrown progressives, especially here in Rolla, that we have to keep track of; we don't need more.

As for the Rules posting, that was something humorous, although a city slicker claimed I was a troll, whatever that is. Are you against a good laugh? We country and small town people enjoy a good laugh. We find the Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, Larry the Cable Guy and Jeff Foxworthy as funny as you city slickers do. We can laugh at ourselves, but if you're offended by the Rules, apparently you can't.

The grumpy old Ozarks Boy
Rolla, Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or