U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM

16 posts, read 41,146 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a home in Rising Star, Texas. Many of the homes that are empty are owned by those living in large cities, and they have large city prices on them. Does anyone know how to find good housing in Rising Star?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:40 AM

18,288 posts, read 20,811,069 times
Have you tried going to the Texas state forum and asking there? They might be able to help you more than the rural forum maybe?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,012,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodos View Post
I am looking for a home in Rising Star, Texas. Many of the homes that are empty are owned by those living in large cities, and they have large city prices on them. Does anyone know how to find good housing in Rising Star?
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, look at foreclosures, forfeitures, seizures, etc. I just bought a 20 acre farm (1900 sq.ft. house, two barns) in the Panhandle of Texas from Freddie Mac for less than a new used Ford truck. There are several sites on the web that list these homes but here's a good comprehensive one. I found my own place but a realtor can also help.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Have you tried going to the Texas state forum and asking there? They might be able to help you more than the rural forum maybe?
No, I haven't. But could you be more specific? I'm not really well-acquainted with these sites. Thanks for the input, though.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, look at foreclosures, forfeitures, seizures, etc. I just bought a 20 acre farm (1900 sq.ft. house, two barns) in the Panhandle of Texas from Freddie Mac for less than a new used Ford truck. There are several sites on the web that list these homes but here's a good comprehensive one. I found my own place but a realtor can also help.
That's a good idea. I'll check your link and let you know what I found. By the way, I lived in the Texas Panhandle for more than 40 years. I'm planning to stay away from the blizzards and sand storms. I love the humidity and the great temps (except for August and September) down here in Houston.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,811,069 times
Quote:
No, I haven't. But could you be more specific? I'm not really well-acquainted with these sites. Thanks for the input, though.

CD has many forums on different topics but they have one for each state in the USA and a few other countries. Here is the link for Texas. http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/

Here is the link that will take you to all the different forums, http://www.city-data.com/forum/ there are a lot so plunge into some that strikes your fancy. There are some that are very friendly then others that get debating on certain issues. The mods are great at trying to keep everybody respectful and on topics.

Hope that helps you and good luck finding what you are searching for! Many people will help with advice if you ony ask.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,012,298 times
Quote:
That's a good idea. I'll check your link and let you know what I found. By the way, I lived in the Texas Panhandle for more than 40 years. I'm planning to stay away from the blizzards and sand storms. I love the humidity and the great temps (except for August and September) down here in Houston.
I've been out here, off and on, for a little over forty years, and I agree on the sand storms and especially the blizzards. I do like the low humidity and the people though. And too family members were here. I'm originally from 120 miles north of Houston.

Before we settled on the Hale County area, I had really liked the area around Eastland and Cisco and actually did some looking around that area. Good luck finding a place down there. That appears to be a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living