U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 AM

31,142 posts, read 50,298,797 times

Advertisements

Sleds are fairly common in this area.

I do not have one, but they seem to be everywhere.

Our first 2 years in Maine saw very little snow. So all of these sleds stayed put.

Last year was the first [since we moved to Maine] that we had seen where the sleds really got out and used.

So I became convinced that an ATV would be better, all weather transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 01:52 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
You really cannot compare the two. I have had both ATV's and Snowmobiles but I am now without an ATV. The ATV's were of some use around the farm, but I found that I always jumped on my tractor when I needed to get things done, so the ATV went unused most of the time. In fact from 1996-to 2000 my 6 x 6 Polaris ATV had a whopping 36.8 miles on it so I finally sold it.

My snowmobile has a bit more miles on it, but that's because life on the farm slows down considerably in the winter. With the animals penned up, no growing crops and snow too deep to do any logging, it's time to get out and have some fun. In short, I don't have time to ride an ATV in the summer, but I do in the winter.

And adding to that is Maine. With its 13,000 miles of groomed snowmobile trails, I can ride anywhere in Maine. With its snow filled trails, they are smooth too, so you cover a lot more ground. Atv's equal hunting and poking through the woods, while snowmobiles equal zipping along. For instance, last year I left my house near Belfast at 6 AM, headed north to Pittsfield, shot up to Jackman, rode across to Greenville and had lunch at the Black Frog at 1 PM. Then it was down to Dover, over to Newport and then back home by 6 PM. It was a 12 hour ride, but it was also a 351 mile ride. You could never do that on an ATV. The trailsjust do not exist, nor could you average that many miles per hour.

Some of the other benefits of snowmobiling are just seeing things no one else would ever see. A lot of people see Baxter in the summer but how many have seen Baxter State Park in the winter. It's beautiful and I've seen it on sled. (And recommend it to anyone). Overall it just gets you outside even in sub-zero cold like it was yesterday. Toss in riding with my best friend and brother on the trip, and its worth doing.

Here are some pics of Baxter inthe Winter via sled...

Old 01-18-2009, 02:22 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,291 times
Wow, gorgeous photos.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM

4,120 posts, read 5,435,951 times
I LOVE the cold!!! Yes it would keep the "rif-raf" at bay. Maybe it's too much work to run a meth lab in the bone chilling cold?

All areas have some sort of crime to deal with. Some less than others. I have not locked my home or car in years. I feel safe at all times and can and do walk the streets at night. Budled up of course. The deep freeze left us for a few days though. We're sitting at about 15 now. Heat Wave!

I'm originally from Pittsburgh PA and had thought we had cold winters. Ha! Not even close.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
---" I have not locked my home or car in years. I feel safe at all times"----
That was the same thing my cousin believed, who like Slamont61 lived in a "safe" town that highway 71 ran through.

One night 2 guys from Mpls were driving down 71 and needed some money for gas and checked out houses in the residental area. The first 4 were locked, but hers was NOT locked.

The end result was my cousin and her teen age son and teen age daughter were brutally beaten with a sledgehammer that they found in the garage and all three had their throats cut.

You may know and trust the people in your small hometown, but if your town has a major State Hwy going through it, you have no idea who is driving on that road through your town in the middle of the night.

If my cousins had their door locked, they would be alive today.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,291 times
Marmac,

That is awful, disturbing and such a senseless act of human depravity. To kill innocent people, and for what...gas money. That's just unfathomable. Sorry for your loss and the grief you must have gone through, and probably still go through today. Thank you for sharing your heart-wrenching story. Hopefully, it will help people to be aware of the dangers of being too trusting.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 PM

28,378 posts, read 18,196,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
The sad thing is, I still went snowmobiling!

Good looking RX-1! You need 4 ft of powder and a chance to try highmarking!

Above comment was after reading the first page, just got to the second, sorry about your loss marmac.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Good looking RX-1! You need 4 ft of powder and a chance to try highmarking!
Close, but not quite. I have a Yamaha Vector not the RX-1. Still a 4 stroke though.

As for the highmarking, that's an out west thing. We have the snow now, 13 inches fell again yesterday so we are at about 3 feet of snow. Plenty for trail riding which is what I do. As mentioned earlier, Maine has 13,000 miles of groomed snowmobile trails so you can go anywhere. I'm into 400 mile rides per day rather then boon-docking, but its all good brother.

My sister and husband though, they highmark a lot since they live in Alaska. She went out last year and bought them new sleds, both Yamaha Nytro Mountain Sleds. 3 weeks later her hubby rolled his sled down a mountain side and wanted to ride hersled. She put pink butterflies all over so thathe would not be so inclined to ride it.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:27 AM

As with the others, sorry for your loss Marmac, and you do make a valid point.

I admit I don't lock my door either though. Coming from where we do, and having so much family in the area, I have always lived what I consider safely from the reputation of not being messed with. We park ¼ million dollar tractors in the fields with no houses around, and the machines are unlocked with the keys in the ignition to boot. They have never been touched, but that does not mean riff-raff from away could not spoil that, or not know about the consquences of messing with them.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 12,771 times
I am very sorry for your loss Marmac, Half the folks up here in Jackman are what you call riff raff. Where would you guys be now without us riff raff? All we asked for was a little peace too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or