U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 AM

4,120 posts, read 5,435,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---" I have not locked my home or car in years. I feel safe at all times"----
That was the same thing my cousin believed, who like Slamont61 lived in a "safe" town that highway 71 ran through.

One night 2 guys from Mpls were driving down 71 and needed some money for gas and checked out houses in the residental area. The first 4 were locked, but hers was NOT locked.

The end result was my cousin and her teen age son and teen age daughter were brutally beaten with a sledgehammer that they found in the garage and all three had their throats cut.

You may know and trust the people in your small hometown, but if your town has a major State Hwy going through it, you have no idea who is driving on that road through your town in the middle of the night.

If my cousins had their door locked, they would be alive today.
Where did this event take place? We are not with out crime in this area, it's just on a scale that can't compare with city life. Obviously you know 71 runs through many small towns, and large ones too. There are roughly 3000 vehicles a day passing through, more than triple our population - so no, we don't know anything about most of those on the highway. I have to believe a crime of that sort is very isolated, and if they did have a sledge, no lock would have kept anyone safe. They caught these low-lifes didn't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
------" I have to believe a crime like this is very isolated"------
The fact it is--very isolated----isn't much consolation to her survivivors

----" and if they did have a sledge"----
They didn't. They got it from her entry way as her son had used it earlier to break up concrete near their garage.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
Perhaps those thugs passed thru your town earlier.

They had robbed an -exgirlfriend of theirs west of Park Rapids also.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,406,535 times
I disagree. Last time I had a car broken into it was Winter in Broomfield Colorado. Best guess was it was around -14 that year.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I disagree. Last time I had a car broken into it was Winter in Broomfield Colorado. Best guess was it was around -14 that year.
You may be onto something...we leave half million dollar tractors unlocked with the keys in them in the middle of summer and have yet to have someone mess with one of them either. Must be the area we live in...or our reputation for not being messed with.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:53 AM

7,768 posts, read 13,219,111 times
I took over payments on a '97 Geo Tracker from my step daughter. When she still had it she and her fiance went out one night. When they got to the club she told him she always locked it. He looked at her and laughed. "You have this thing with a canvas top and plastic windows, and it's held together by velcro and zippers. What good would it do to lock it when they can use a pocket knife as a key?" She never locked it again! Since I bought it I tell people I leave it unlocked. Maybe somebody will feel sorry for me and throw loose change in! lol

At the beginning of this thread people were talking about how cold it was. My parents lived with us for almost a week before getting power back in their town during the recent ice storm. My dad said he felt like he was in a refrigerator. He opened the outside door and thought he saw the light come on! We were lucky. Our power was only out 19 hours.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM

4,120 posts, read 5,435,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Perhaps those thugs passed thru your town earlier.

They had robbed an -exgirlfriend of theirs west of Park Rapids also.
I lived in Park Rapids for a while when we first moved to MN. I'm now about 20 miles due south on Highway 71 but are well off the highway. I have not been able to find anything about this crime spree. When did it occur?

These people don't deserve the oxygen they consume. I'm quite sure they passed through my town in that time frame. It gives me the creeps to think about it but I've got a double barrel surpise for them if they try my doors.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,179 times
I got a chuckle from this thread... yeah cold temps definitely keeps the riff-raff out. Considering that the avg temp where I'll be moving is around -40F in the winter with down down below -60F (before windchill is factored!), it keeps most people out.. riff-raff included! Why do you think that the population up there is less than 700k? 50% of them live in/around Anchorage, the rest of the population averages something like 1 person for every 10 sq miles.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,868,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I got a chuckle from this thread... yeah cold temps definitely keeps the riff-raff out. Considering that the avg temp where I'll be moving is around -40F in the winter with down down below -60F (before windchill is factored!), it keeps most people out.. riff-raff included! Why do you think that the population up there is less than 700k? 50% of them live in/around Anchorage, the rest of the population averages something like 1 person for every 10 sq miles.
Make no mistake, AK. has crime and this does include the bush villages. Which town are you planning on moving to?

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 02-25-2009 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: add

Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,303,655 times
Default Keeping out Riff Raff

Good one! You are either in Northern Maine or the Dakotas..Brrrrrrrrr. I am in Connecticut and I don't know what the deal is here it is 19 degrees this morning and we STILL have Riff Raff here. Guess it is not cold enough!

Does anyone else think that this has been an abnormally cold winter for Southern New England? I simply can't get warm this year..maybe that is also my age..ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or