U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 AM

17,088 posts, read 22,602,664 times

Advertisements

I was thinking I'd surround my property with bear traps, but then I realized how expensive bear traps are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Make no mistake, AK. has crime and this does include the bush villages. Which town are you planning on moving to?
I'm aware there is crime in AK, and gangs, and drugs, and even out in the bush. I'll be out towards Manley, and I know there was a multiple murder out there in the 80's. You can't escape crime and violence entirely, but you can reduce it's prevalence and probability.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:27 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,366,609 times
Marmac - I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I got goose bumps reading your post. I live out where you would never suspect someone looking for trouble to go, but I still lock my doors. I also have an alarm system and big dogs! I know if someone really wants in that won't even stop them, but may deter some. I live near an interstate, and actually have a kind of funny story . . . . . One morning while taking my kids to school, going through the lower end of the property, one of them said "Mom, there's a tent back there". I thought they must be seeing things, but after they kept insisting, my curiosity got the best of me and I turned around and went back to find a guy scrambling to take down his tent and get out of there! It is so dark at night that he probably didn't even know how close he was to a house! Never happened again!

On the temperature - WOW, I have never experienced that kind of cold! We may have an occaisonal snow storm here, but that's about the worst of it!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,487,898 times
I am the opposite, everyone thinks I am crazy because I always make sure everything IS locked. No one around here locks their houses or cars. I guess the fact that we all have dogs that go NUTS when strangers come around does help, but if someone is hell bent on destruction, a dog or two is more of an alarm than protection.

Being a mom, I tell my teenage daughter, it only takes one time of not being careful to put yourself in a world of hurt,(meaning that as females, we are distinctly at a physical disadvantage) and the person to best protect her is herself.

Marmac- I am sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing. I know most people feel that it could never happen to them, but as you've seen, it can and does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or