U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:39 AM

18,288 posts, read 20,808,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
This has nothing to do with the population that makes a small town, but the people. About 2 weeks ago 4 seniors in high school went duck hunting on a large lake in our area. The wind picked up after they were out in the boat, which capsized before they could make it to shore. One was found still alive and one body has been found. Crews have been out in boats and walking the shoreline since that day looking for the other two. Before somebody says it, these were responsible young men. No drugs or alcohol. Since the news got out there has been an outpouring of support from the small towns in the area. The town they are from, pop. 12,000 or so, and all the others banded together in support for the families and for the rescuers. Most of the men and women out in the boats are taking time off their normal jobs without pay or using their vacation time. The families of the missing boys are more worried about the rescuers. Last Monday there was a chili supper held to raise money in this "small town" for the rescuers. $15,000 was raised from a chili supper in one night! There is going to be a benefit concert Sunday at the high school. No tickets, just donations. Bet the place will be packed. The funeral for the one found was held in the gymnasium of the high school. There wasn't very many empty seats and this is a big gym! At the "command center" where dragging operations are working from, people from these small towns, many of them have no idea who these boys are, but think of their own sons in that situation,have brought food, water, heaters, fuel for the heaters and even enclosed the shelter they are using. There has been so much food donated that the families are asking not to bring any more unless it's asked for. To me, that is a small town. And I'm proud to be from one. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else!
Thank you for sharing that. Around my parts that would be the thing happening too which it was when 5 teens were killed in a car wreck 4 from the same school. God bless the families and all that are helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 03:54 PM

216 posts, read 627,439 times
Default a small town is

when you're raising your kids and the whole town looks after them...you know the mischief/fun they've had before they get home

Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,313,873 times
-Drive down any street. If you can make it past a dozen or so houses without knowing who lives in any of them, you're probably not in a small town.

-When you look at a "youngster" (teen) and ask "Now, who are you..?" and you expect them not to answer with their own name, but the name of their parents (or grandparents). And they know this and answer accordingly ("I'm Laurie and David's youngest", etc)

-When you can identify people in conversation by adding the name of their spouse instead of their actual last name.
"I was over at Donna's today..."
"Donna and Joe?"
"No, Donna and Pete!"

-When the ambulance (or fire trucks) go by and you say a silent prayer for whoever they are going to help...because you know it's someone you know, just not exactly who it is...

I agree with the "less than 5000" measure- my community is 2 actual towns, but on one small island, so it really operates as one community. I think the population between the 2 towns is still less than 5000. No stop lights (nearest is an hour away) or McDonald's/Walmart etc (also an hour away).

Old 05-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
-When you look at a "youngster" (teen) and ask "Now, who are you..?" and you expect them not to answer with their own name, but the name of their parents (or grandparents). And they know this and answer accordingly ("I'm Laurie and David's youngest", etc)
I just did this yesterday to a senior citizen that just came home from FL for the summer. He knew me as a child knew my parents all their lives but didn't know me as an adult. We ended up standing in the street talking for over 30 minutes. Of course waving at everybody going by because one of us knew each car or person that passed us.

Small town and rural living rocks for be neighborly.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 PM

266 posts, read 785,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I just did this yesterday to a senior citizen that just came home from FL for the summer. He knew me as a child knew my parents all their lives but didn't know me as an adult. We ended up standing in the street talking for over 30 minutes. Of course waving at everybody going by because one of us knew each car or person that passed us.

Small town and rural living rocks for be neighborly.
Im jealous :-p. I only know two people's names that live in my apartment building and there are 30 apartments here.
I want to live in a rural setting thats for sure.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM

266 posts, read 785,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Where I grew up, that population isn't even a small town...it's categorized as a "village," and has different zoning and government structure (village president, as opposed to mayor, no municipal police force, only patrolled by county law enforcement, etc.). My hometown is pop. 350, and it's a "village."
where did you grow up?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight61108 View Post
Im jealous :-p. I only know two people's names that live in my apartment building and there are 30 apartments here.
I want to live in a rural setting thats for sure.
It only takes one person to say howdy before others join in. Maybe you should try to see about knocking on your neighbor's door and saying howdy!

I know it is different but it is a start eh?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 AM

37,131 posts, read 43,045,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight61108 View Post
where did you grow up?
North central Illinois.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:24 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
Holy smokes I thought I lived in a small town, but according to the first post...nope I live in a hamlet. (200 people) You learn something new every day I guess.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:33 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
-When you can identify people in conversation by adding the name of their spouse instead of their actual last name.
"I was over at Donna's today..."
"Donna and Joe?"
"No, Donna and Pete!"
I'm blown away...you actually have TWO Donna's in your town???

I am teasing you of course, but here we often call people by the homes they live in rather then by their names. For instance I never knew Nora Watman, but her and her husband had a big farm at the turn of the century. I have no idea who lives in that big old farmhouse now and neither does anyone else in town because we refer to the people that live there as "the people who live in the old Nora Watman place."

When the people introduce themselves they will say their names, but then must add, "we bought the Old Nora Watman Place." I guess us townspeople just forget the first part and remember the vital information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living