U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:31 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,808,084 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness we give directions like that too!

Go to Crawley's corner turn south, go to the old Edin farm turn west, drive down to Weaver's place then the next house on your right is what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Oh my goodness we give directions like that too!

Go to Crawley's corner turn south, go to the old Edin farm turn west, drive down to Weaver's place then the next house on your right is what you are looking for.
At my house I am not allowed to give directions any more. I really am terrible at it because I often tell people to make turns by places and things that are no longer there.

1. "I am one mile from where the old school house used to be"

2. "I am the last house in town. If you cross the townline you went too far" (Unfortunately there is no sign there telling people where the line is you are just expected to know).

3. "I live just after the old sawmill "(which has not been used in years and is so overgrown that there is absolutely no indication that it is actually a sawmill contained therein)

4. "I am a half mile from the old bridge" (which has been rebuilt with one of those bigger multi-section culverts so there is absolutely no indication you are driving over a bridge)

That is just some of the ways I inadvertently give crumby directions. One really hard part about giving directions is a lack of road signs. (for some reason vandals tear down "Goosepecker Ridge Road" faster then they can put them up...and yes it is a real road name...) But also because a major intersection might be in the middle of a field so there is absoluetly no way to landmark the spot. "Go about a mile outside of town and look for the road in the middle of the field off to your left and watch out for (3) 90º corners", is the only way to describe the road I live on. For some reason people still miss it.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:18 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,951,196 times
BrokenTap - those are too good... Reminds me of when back roading or in small burgs, or trying to find a cave or a different local restaurant/tavern or whatnot, and ya ask local farmer or some other long-time resident about some directions, and ya get so often times very similar directions. Bad thing is, being a back woods hillbilly, I most times can decipher and find what they be speaking of - but, if not, ain't never lost,,, just out about discovering new terrain!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,157,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
BrokenTap - those are too good... Reminds me of when back roading or in small burgs, or trying to find a cave or a different local restaurant/tavern or whatnot, and ya ask local farmer or some other long-time resident about some directions, and ya get so often times very similar directions. Bad thing is, being a back woods hillbilly, I most times can decipher and find what they be speaking of - but, if not, ain't never lost,,, just out about discovering new terrain!
We get a lot of people who have drifted a bit too far off the coast and are lost. Its not really right but when people ask how to get back to civilization (because where I live is definately not that), I tell them the "shortest way" to go. And I am honest, I tell them the shortest way, which happens to be dirt roads that are just about a straight shot to Belfast. Of course there is no way I would take my car/suv/pickup up those roads, but hey it is the shortest way mileage wise anyway.

I only had one guy come back and he was pretty cranked up. He kept yelling that it was a snowmobile trail. Yep sure is!

As a side note here...even the Amish refuse to live here. They checked my neighbors farm when he said he would sell it, and then they told him that it "was too far from town." You know its bad when the Amish think your place is too far out in the sticks.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:18 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
Amish need someplace to sell their products and someplace to buy their necessities.

When you travel by horse and buggy, living in "the middle of nowhere" wouldn't make sense.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 PM

458 posts, read 1,188,116 times
We have just over 1k and about half is people outside of the town, we have 2 small grocery stores, 2 gas stations/stores (one is mine), a farm store, a few pizza parlors, the only "name brand" food places here are Subway and Tim Horton's, a hardware store and a couple odds and end's stores. A small police station with 4-5 police cars on a good day, we share police with another small town, so sometimes we only have 2-3 cars, Fire Department with 2 trucks, one elementary school, one high school and one hospital, very small.

And I would not change it for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living