U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,168,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Toads are scary looking. Especially if you lick 'em and stare at 'em for a while.
Ewwwww ;P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,076,045 times
Quote:
Toads are scary looking. Especially if you lick 'em and stare at 'em for a while.
I am laughing my ass off at that ! I think it flew right over their heads. When the toad staring gets old then it's time to stare in the mirror for a while and watch "Changeable Charlie" , or go outside and watch trees marching down the hill !

Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,955,598 times
Has anyone seen the film "Urban Elk". We watched it in my lil' guys hunter safety course. The ignorance of wildlife that a lot of city folks have is entetaining, but it can also be lethal. This poor woman with the Moose at least had the good sense to be a little scared instead of trying to walk up and pet the critter. the aforementioed film is full of such incidents of urban tourists having watched to much Disney Channel. If you have a chance to watch it it is well worth the time. The point in showing it to the class was to drive home the point that these are WILD animals and they will act accordingly. Good thread!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,076,045 times
I saw a clip on TV that showed a bison tossing some guy up into a tree ! I was fishing at the Quarter Circle Bridge once in Glacier Park and while poking about looking for a good spot to cast from I surprised some deer in the bushes and one of them (the Mama) reared up on her hind legs and thrashed the air with her front legs and moved toward me. I freaked out and ran. Still shaking I went up onto the bridge and fished for a while then I watched as the family of deer swam across the Creek (They didn't want to cross on the bridge past us). A short time later I caught a 26 inch long Brook Trout right at the bridge. I didn't want to eat the monster and I sure as heck wasn't going to release it back where it shouldn't have been in the first place so I gave it to a tourist who wasn't having much luck. You should have seen his face when I offered it to him as he said "really" ?
He said he was going to tell his brother back at the lodge that HE had caught it !

Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
...This poor woman with the Moose at least had the good sense to be a little scared instead of trying to walk up and pet the critter...
I don't think I would approach a moose unless I knew him, but the deer here will come really close and most of them will eat apples out of my hand. Some won't get that close and prefer to stay three or four feet away and want me throw throw the apples on the ground.

None of them like to be touched or "petted" and if I reach toward them with the other hand while they are eating the apple, they back away, but a couple of times I have been able to scratch one on the head, but she didn't like it very much.

There are dozens of them that come to get apples. Sometimes they come a couple at a time and sometimes as many as seven or eight. They are mostly does and youngsters, but a few bucks also come. One day a whole group of about a dozen big bucks came through.

Our town is a wooded peninsula and there is no hunting here so the deer, although they are wild, pretty much have the run of the town. Traffic is the only hazard for them, although we do have a few bobcats, coyotes, and cougars, I don't think they are much of a problem for the deer except maybe during fawn season.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 PM

7,775 posts, read 13,228,722 times
Quote:
Knew a man who did that. The toad croaked.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM

830 posts, read 2,400,791 times
Quote:
Do you think she may be from the city?
Plenty of folks from the country are scared of wildlife. Plenty of people from the city aren't. I (having lived in cities up until a few months ago) just adore opossums. Conversation at work recently with two gals who've been here their whole lives revealed they think they're ugly and are frightened of them. Whatever.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 AM

9,789 posts, read 11,274,071 times
But how afraid would the opossumphobes be if they saw an opossume 100 yards away from a moving closed vehicle and the opossum were leaving? The behavior of this woman is so extreme that the woman seems unbalanced, but I believe it is more likely that she somehow thinks that she is the paragon of femininity.

I wonder if she acts this way in a bad neighborhood in the city. I suspect it's not so extreme, but she still wishes to convey the same "lady-like" image.

Give me a tomboy any day. This parody of a woman on youtube makes me want to throw up.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 AM

4,137 posts, read 8,043,210 times
Not all lasses are the same Fortunately, she doesn't reside where I do, hence she'd have to see this nearly every day...much less shoot the image.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 AM

37,144 posts, read 43,076,892 times
Makes me think of when I was working with inner city kids. Preteen kids not fazed by gunshots in their housing projects and rats in their alleys, but camping in the rural portion of the state, scared TO DEATH by how dark it was, and raccoons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living