U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 PM

830 posts, read 2,400,791 times

Advertisements

Yes, Tabula Rasa! I experienced that too! Jeez, a cat ran through out play yard one day and one of the kids was screaming bloody murder.

Oh, then there was the 2 year old who pointed to a squirrel and said "Hey, look at that ugly m**&&% - f*$#%*.

"No, Joey, that's a squirrel".

"Squirrel!"

But, I still think quite a few of my current students in this very remote area where I live now are also scared of raccoons and opposums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM

5,435 posts, read 10,048,323 times
Gosh, I rather think it's the wildlife who are terrified of us--with good reason. I've met rattlesnakes, coyotes, sizable spiders, and bear in the wild and no harm done...

Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,367,222 times
I don't have sound on my computer at the time, so I was not able to get the full effect of it, but I can imagine!

I used to have a deck that was built around an apple tree (which the deer really liked) and one time I went outside with an armful of unopened soda cans and practically ran into a deer! The element of surprise scared the crap out of both myself and the deer! She jumped off the deck and I jumped and dropped the soda, which proceeded to explode and spray everywhere! I was the only one home at the time, so no one else got to enjoy the moment! I'm sure I would never have lived it down!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,538,452 times
I used to be a dispatcher for LE that used to be rural but became quickly urbanized. One day I got a call from a woman screaming hysterically. She fnally told me that she had gone out to her car and there was a BIG raccoon on it, hissing and threatening her! I asked her where she lived - she and her hubby had just built a McMansion on a dirt road in the middle of the woods. She wanted me to send a deputy to kill it. I told her to just be patient, that the coon - once it had established to her that it was HIS home - would go on and do raccoon things. She told me tearfully - "When my husband told me we would be close to wildlife and nature, I thought he meant bunnies!" I have sent EMS to people who thought that a gator could NEVER move that fast, because it was so big and looked so much like a log, and to snakebites where people actually thought that if they beat a snake with a stick it would run away.

My attitude - Darwin should rule in these cases. If you don't know what something is or what it will do, leave immediately - don't try to goad it, or play with it, or pet it. The people who will walk up to any wild animal expecting it to be 'tamed' and act like a dog or kitty cat deserve what they get for their ignorance. And most importantly, the people who move to "the country to be close to nature" need to know first and foremost that nature is a rude, unsocialized, and harsh environment of kill-or-be-killed, and their clumsy intrusion into it is all too often seen as a threat to the wild creatures.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 PM

1,688 posts, read 7,048,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I told her to just be patient, that the coon - once it had established to her that it was HIS home - would go on and do raccoon things. She told me tearfully - "When my husband told me we would be close to wildlife and nature, I thought he meant bunnies!"
She should move out to where I am - we've got a raccoon posse that made off with an entire deer feeder that was half full! Laughed so hard I cried. It took us two weeks to find the darn thing.

Personally I blame the media - people have totally warped ideas of what it's like "out there" because such totally unrealistic ideals are beamed into their living rooms daily. No, bobcats are not just HelloKitty on steroids.

On the same theme (ignorance): I was recently with a realtor in a different state and I said something about a "cattle feed lot". She hadn't a CLUE what I was on about (and we all know she's not alone). It made me wonder about how people think that meat got to their grocery store. I wonder how many actually know anything about the process or if it's a sort of willing ignorance: i.e. Chapter 1: I see photos of cattle in field, Chapter 22: I buy steak. Chapters 2-21 can remain in the great unknown.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,374,840 times
[quote=FiveHorses;7706107]She should move out to where I am - we've got a raccoon posse that made off with an entire deer feeder that was half full! Laughed so hard I cried. It took us two weeks to find the darn thing.

Now this is a damn funny story! OMG I can just see it. The story reminds me of that The Great Outdoors movie.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,804,350 times
On Halloween morning I set our jack-o-lanterns on our front porch. By the time my kids got off the school bus, the deer had been through and ate several of them, lol. So my kids asked if it was deer season yet. They were not happy, lol.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM

32,566 posts, read 17,994,668 times
Question "Where are the cages for the animals?"

I like the part where she goes, "I'm RECORDING!" where her spaz level is beginning to red line....

Here are some more idiots, I mean, city folks-type questions:

"At what elevation does an elk become a moose?"

"Are the bears with collars tame?"

"Is there anywhere I can see the bears pose?"

"Is it ok to keep an open bag of bacon on the picnic table, or should I store it in my tent?"

"Where can I find Alpine Flamingos?"

Things People Said: Questions Asked of Park Rangers

and

"A small deer came into my camp and stole my bag of pickles. Is there a way I can get reimbursed? Please call."
from
http://www.rinkworks.com/said/forest.shtml

Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

Now this is a damn funny story!
It is actually - I laugh just thinking about it, my husband's face was priceless. As he stood there under a great big tree with jaw dropped, he looked up, looked down, looked around, looked up again, looked over at me (who was in convulsions by this point) and then the look of realisation passed over his face and he said in a tone of complete disbelief, "Those *&%^ers stole my feeder! They stole my bloody feeder!"
But that point I had tears just streaming down my face.

Not only had they stolen it, they hauled it off about 100 yards into thick woods and lacking the manual dexterity to get the lid off, they just chewed through it.

I give them points for creativity and effort. We've got very amusing photos of deer gathered under the feeder looking up, a few raccoons out on a limb and one raccoon pulling the rope by which the feeder hangs because they figured out that by pulling it and tipping it, corn came out making both sets of animals most pleased.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post

"Is it ok to keep an open bag of bacon on the picnic table, or should I store it in my tent?"

l
Tent. Let Darwin get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living