U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
4,123 posts, read 5,437,679 times
Reputation: 4854

Advertisements

Our small town is NOT thriving. Todays economy has put the squash in any development. We aren't simply taking it sitting down though, we have several Action Groups in progress and many of us in the community are taking Leadership Training Courses. The energy is abuzz among us. We do have a few "Action" groups putting rubber to the road so to speak. With all the talk and enthusiam, I am coming up blank on what type of event or development that could be tackled by such a group.

Lets face it todays economy is trending downward and bringing new life to a small town isn't easy. We are trying to develope a Farmers Market for the Summer Months (one of the action groups) simply because we have farmers growing crops in our area. This is something that has been tried but failed. (used to happen in AM hours but new group is shooting for the afternoons)

Those of you living in rural areas must be experiencing about the same thing. If you could change something of suggest one improvement in your Small Town, what would it be? What would make a difference in your day/life?

Any ideas would be most apreciated.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 19,953,202 times
Reputation: 4695
Somewhere families and/or adults who are not Seniors could meet and socialize apart from the school.

In our area there are 2 or 3 Senior Centers. Very little for anyone else..

Our son is not academic or sports minded, so we rarely run into other parents.
A club for families would be nice.

My husband and I are in the process of starting an Asberger's Support group to hopefully meet parents and kids with the same issues we face/socialize outside our family.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,146 posts, read 50,309,418 times
Reputation: 19849
Development hurts rural area so much, that nobody here wants to see any.



"many of us in the community are taking Leadership Training Courses" Our township has around 130 families. Why do you want to 'lead' them?



We sell farm produce at a stand alongside the road. [a table, signs, produce, and a coffee can for folks to put the money into].



We moved here because it is rural.

We did not move here to change it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Reputation: 8170
apples to oranges, forest beekeeper

In reading Slamont61's post, I took it she was referring to small TOWNS .
Since you don't live in a ----town--you probably are unaware of what she is talking about.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,146 posts, read 50,309,418 times
Reputation: 19849
Argyle Maine is a 'township'.

We are on the map and everything

We have a projected population of about 130.

Argyle was once incorporated too. In the 1930s the town folk decided they did not want to continue paying taxes to support a town clerk, so they folded the corporation part of it.

But we are still on the map.

We even have a storefront business now too! last year a gunsmith opened up a storefront here in town.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Not on the same page as most
2,503 posts, read 5,626,861 times
Reputation: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Our small town is NOT thriving. Todays economy has put the squash in any development. We aren't simply taking it sitting down though, we have several Action Groups in progress and many of us in the community are taking Leadership Training Courses. The energy is abuzz among us. We do have a few "Action" groups putting rubber to the road so to speak. With all the talk and enthusiam, I am coming up blank on what type of event or development that could be tackled by such a group.

Lets face it todays economy is trending downward and bringing new life to a small town isn't easy. We are trying to develope a Farmers Market for the Summer Months (one of the action groups) simply because we have farmers growing crops in our area. This is something that has been tried but failed. (used to happen in AM hours but new group is shooting for the afternoons)

Those of you living in rural areas must be experiencing about the same thing. If you could change something of suggest one improvement in your Small Town, what would it be? What would make a difference in your day/life?

Any ideas would be most apreciated.
Is there anything that your town is known for? You could have a street fair/ festival surrounding your town's claim to fame.

There is a town in Vermont that has a yearly "trike race" down the hill through town. The tricycles are fashioned of old bathtubs, boats, whatever, and decorated with funny flags, etc. There must be only three wheels, otherwise, anything goes. People dress up in costumes, have friendly mock rivalries, with a master of ceremony announcing each contestant, and the partying starts around noon, with the race in the early afternoon. Vendors make teeshirts, have food booths, etc. The trikes are all non-motorized and there are prizes to local establishments, for different funny categories. This is meant to be a totally creative, fun type competition. Not sure how something like this would work out in your area, but just an example of the saying "it's never too late to have a happy childhood".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Reputation: 8170
township----town
apples------oranges
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
Reputation: 32286
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Our small town is NOT thriving. Todays economy has put the squash in any development. We aren't simply taking it sitting down though, we have several Action Groups in progress and many of us in the community are taking Leadership Training Courses. The energy is abuzz among us. We do have a few "Action" groups putting rubber to the road so to speak. With all the talk and enthusiam, I am coming up blank on what type of event or development that could be tackled by such a group.

Lets face it todays economy is trending downward and bringing new life to a small town isn't easy. We are trying to develope a Farmers Market for the Summer Months (one of the action groups) simply because we have farmers growing crops in our area. This is something that has been tried but failed. (used to happen in AM hours but new group is shooting for the afternoons)

Those of you living in rural areas must be experiencing about the same thing. If you could change something of suggest one improvement in your Small Town, what would it be? What would make a difference in your day/life?

Any ideas would be most apreciated.
You have to consider what people WANT, rather than what you hope to achieve. More money is wasted on great ideas in the wrong environment than you can imagine.

With the downturn in the economy, classes on gardening, canning, and proper freezer use could be of interest. A revival of the old community foodlocker concept, where local farmers raise cattle and chickens for local consumption and people store their side of beef locally could be an idea whose time has come around again.

While you can run into legal issues, film series with accompanying lectures or discussions can be popular.

If the farmer's market was held immediately after a community auction, the attendance would increase. A lot of folks want to sell and buy stuff. If Friday is flea market day, and Saturday is the auction and farmer's market, unsold flea market goods could go directly to auction, saving the lugging back home.

I can think of hundreds of other ideas, some better than others, but the few I just listed would stand a chance of flying.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Not on the same page as most
2,503 posts, read 5,626,861 times
Reputation: 1557
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You have to consider what people WANT, rather than what you hope to achieve. More money is wasted on great ideas in the wrong environment than you can imagine.

With the downturn in the economy, classes on gardening, canning, and proper freezer use could be of interest. A revival of the old community foodlocker concept, where local farmers raise cattle and chickens for local consumption and people store their side of beef locally could be an idea whose time has come around again.

While you can run into legal issues, film series with accompanying lectures or discussions can be popular.

If the farmer's market was held immediately after a community auction, the attendance would increase. A lot of folks want to sell and buy stuff. If Friday is flea market day, and Saturday is the auction and farmer's market, unsold flea market goods could go directly to auction, saving the lugging back home.

I can think of hundreds of other ideas, some better than others, but the few I just listed would stand a chance of flying.
Great post Harry!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 10,535,789 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We even have a storefront business now too! last year a gunsmith opened up a storefront here in town.
Maybe that's the kind of change the OP was referring to. That is something that could possibly draw others into the town to spend their money, so I think it's appropriate to mention in this thread. To me, that seemed to be the kind of thing that the OP wanted to hear about, though it was an individual's decision, not the whole town's.

I know the title of the thread mentioned entertainment ideas, but the body of the thread suggested that it might have been more than that. Where I am, we have a small gun shop that has been advertising in other communities (where there are few other gun shops), and the owner tells me he gets a lot of traffic from those places. They are setting up some firearm classes, and getting people to attend from as far as 50 miles away. Some might call this "entertainment," while others wouldn't.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top