Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:48 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Not true !

I am "grandfathered in" with my old septic,drain field system but can never obtain a building permit on my farm or sell my farm until the sewer system is updated ( Minnesota)

The new mound system is an evaporate system as the many lines going out are buried quite shallow .

The depth of the many lines is what is different than a an old style leach system ( Minnesota)

I doubt any of us can answer this OP's question unless we know what the requirements are for his area, permits and inspections needed, and the prevailing labor rate.

Giving one's opinions when one lives in an area that has different requirements ( or very soft requirements ) is meaningless to a person who lives in an area that has strict requirements.

Texas------I guess you never read my last 2 paragraphs in your haste to reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
What I was debating was Forest Breath's assertion that there was no difference between how his his mound system is designed ( that is illegal) where I live , and the system required here.

Try to keep up with the discussion rather than throwing barbs
Sorry you thought I was throwing barbs, I was just following your lead in bolding, etc. If you were simply trying to explain the difference, why the emphasis on illegal rather than on the actual differences in the systems?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac
It would be an illegal system where I live.

Your system ( field stone,sand) is designed for the liquids to soak into the ground with nothing in place to slow down the downward seepage.

In fact ,using stone and sand aids faster seepage down into the ground.

I mowed the lawn at my daughter's house with a push mower and the ground on top of the mound is way softer than the ground elsewhere due to liquids being near the surface and being evaporated.

Septic systems like forrest beekeeper explained, have been outdated and illegal for over 20 years in many parts of Minnesota.

Illegal in my area, and I live in rural MN.
While it is nice to see that you so enjoy trying to barb me with your use of bolding your illegal activiities, and thereby trying to imply that I did something illegal. I have not done anything illegal.

My mound septic system is completely legal.

Now that I have this mound in place, I am legal and allowed to use composting toilets [which in this area can not be used until after you have a septic system in place].

Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
As I have posted about my mound system,it leeches down,does not evaporate,has visquene over pipes.Surface of mound compacted over time.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
As I have posted about my mound system, it leeches down, does not evaporate, has visquene over pipes. Surface of mound compacted over time.
In our mound, I was told that I could choose to lay fabric over the pipes or straw. I choose to use straw.

I wonder why your mound compacted?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:59 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
It would be an illegal system where I live.

Your system ( field stone,sand) is designed for the liquids to soak into the ground with nothing in place to slow down the downward seepage.

In fact ,using stone and sand aids faster seepage down into the ground.

I mowed the lawn at my daughter's house with a push mower and the ground on top of the mound is way softer than the ground elsewhere due to liquids being near the surface and being evaporated.

Septic systems like forrest beekeeper explained, have been outdated and illegal for over 20 years in many parts of Minnesota.

Illegal in my area, and I live in rural MN.
In use the end result will be the same. I assure you that especially in winter the waste will not be evaporating fast enough (if at all in the coldest parts of winter) to prevent it from soaking into the ground as with any other system. Just unnecessary requirements to gouge you for more money.

Mound systems are only used here when the soil is too shallow to the bedrock, or percs too fast.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
It sounds like we have some confusion developing because there are Mound septic systems and there are Raised Bed septic systems, each designed for different soil conditions.

Here is a link to a description of Raised Bed Septic systems. Raised Bed Septic Systems - Raised bed or mound septic systems, Effluent Disposal Systems as Components of Alternative Septic Systems - for wet sites, steep sites, rocky sites, limited space, and other difficult site conditions & Onsite Wastewater Di

And here is a link to Septic Mounds. Septic Mound Systems as Components of Alternative Septic Systems

The difference comes about by the type of soil in the area. I'm sure there are variations of each type based on the area.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In our mound, I was told that I could choose to lay fabric over the pipes or straw. I choose to use straw.

I wonder why your mound compacted?
In our area they are being covered by finely chopped up old tires. I just noticed it last year. It is a good use for old tires.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
Default Septic Tank Cost for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
I've been quoted $5,600 to replace my septic tank by a local contractor. They would dig a new hole, install a new 1500 gallon tank, connect it to existing leach lines, fill the old tank with dirt, and bury the whole thing. Do you think it's a fair price?

I'm in Southern California.
Have septic tank costs gone up that much? My neighbor paid $12,500 two years ago in the county - Contra Costa County, Northern California - seems high compared to what you paid. Is this a fair price for Northern California?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
could be lots of reasons... Blasting?, Location? Regulations, Access, pumping decommission of old (needs to be filled with sreenings or sand AFTER a certified pumping).

I can still buy a concrete 1500 gal tank for under $1,000. I dig a hole and drop it in , then back fill. ~ $800 done deal. (I have my own Dozer and trackhoe (which you can rent for $250-$400 / day) It just takes a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living