Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Wait - you think there's no difference between killing an animal (of whatever kind) and wanting peace and quiet?

Boy, now, THAT's scary! A heck of a lot scary than any dog could ever be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Nope, never said that. I said that I must pay in one way or another to find some quiet.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
We had another neighbor who had three dogs. When he got home from work every night, he'd take them out for a walk. However, his idea of a walk was to just cut the dogs loose and follow behind. Well, the three of them cornered our cat on the front porch. I got out there in the nick of time before Molly was mauled and drop kicked one hound about eight feet. Again, the neighbor was ticked off that I kicked his dog, never thinking for a second that his dogs should have been on a leash.
Back in the 90's we adopted a puppy.(LoBo) it was part pitbull, so I never really trusted it. After 4 years of ownership, the dog worked it's way under the back fence, went up the street and stole a chicken. The dog (LoBo) brought the chicken home, and when I went to the frontyard to get the chicken from him, he turned on me, grabbing my hand and ripping it wide open.(requiring 19 stitches)

I love animals, but there are laws and LoBo was no exception. He was put down.

(This was in So California)

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-21-2009 at 11:55 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I don't know, I'm on the fence here. I have seen some dogs that are very unpredicable on how they will act to a jogger. I have a neighbor that lets his dog bark and charge anyone on the perimeter of its yard. I think at the end of the day, you just don't know what a dog will do. An animal will attack someone for no reason--and it's always the ones that you least expect. My brother was nearly mauled to death by a dog when he was 5 years old, so I have some hard feelings in this situation, however, I do have a dog of my own that barks a storm at people walking/jogging by. My thought is that all dogs should be on a leash when in the front yard (depends on size of land).
And the laws.

It's against the law to chain up a dog in the state of Oklahoma.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
You know, there really is some truth to what you say. In San Diego (where I'm from), people just seem to be more socially conscious. It's a big city and houses are very close together. You have to learn to be accommodating and considerate or the problems would be endless.

Dog owners in San Diego keep their dogs in their fenced yards (usually the backyard). There are strict leash laws, and dogs that are running loose are picked up by Animal Control. I never had any problems with dogs in San Diego....the one's I encountered on my walks were always on leashes and were friendly (I guess once the dog's off its property, the protective instinct is lessened). But where I live now (not really a small town, but a small city compared to San Diego....just a population of about 40,000), people are much less accomodating and can be very selfish and rude.

But I can't go back to S.D. My life is here now (for reasons I won't bore you with...they're not really interesting). And I DO like my new home a lot...it's just that the dog situation is tough on me. Hence why I posted this thread.
I like San Diego,(but I wouldn't live there again)
I remember when it was just a "Sailors town", now it's a "Tourist Attraction".

Old 04-20-2009, 12:49 AM

13 posts, read 24,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post

If she stays in her yard and you stay on the sidewalk and it's just her barking at you that bothers you, <b>you won't get an apology from me</b> as an owner. She's a dog.

You're the dog's owner and responsible for her behavior. If you're proud of her being a nuisance to passerby, then why not actually take responsibility? Call your dog back and apologize to the walker. It's the decent thing to do.

I realize you are being theoretical merely. However Thanks for the insight into the dog owner mentality.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
So then I think we're establishing that you are afraid of dogs in general.

In general, it's normal for people to own dogs. In general, it's normal for dogs to bark when people walk by their yards. In general, it's not normal for dogs to attack people. So - generally speaking - the owners are not concerned that their dogs will attack and they expect them to bark when someone walks by. This does not mean the dogs are not appropriately trained. This is also why they offer no apologies - because the dog has done nothing "wrong".
Unbelievable.

With all due respect, you should have left this discussion after your last comment. It was very revealing re: dog owner mentality in general.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

That's one reason that I suggested you research the laws that may already be existing in your community to see if the dogs are in compliance with them, and talk to people FIRST to see if your desires are in accord with their own. It's one thing to convince a city council, quite another to live in harmony with your neighbors after you've rammed something down their throats because you want it, without first getting them on board.
FCG can find that out when she has her conversation with the local police and animal control about the neighborhood unleashed dogs that are acting in a hostile manner toward her.

Quote:
And that's whether or not they say anything to your face about it. If they are on board, by all means, go for it. Just do your homework first. But, please, give your real reasons, not some "reason" that you are using only because someone on a message board gave it to you to use manipulatively. Sheesh!
Hear! Hear! "Manipulatively"? Would that be somewhat akin to the tone of your responses to FCG? Are you really trying to convince her that rude dog owner behavior is the norm? What some people will do to justify their own lack of initiative.

Sorry to spoil your fun, but I'm opening the vent and letting the fog out. You'll have to try to "work" someone else.

To wit: If you own a dog, take the time to teach it to want to obey, and use its natural desire to please, to your advantage. You will have to be patient, but your dog Can acquire a limited vocabulary. So he will understand "Quiet, Rover, that girl can walk on the street if she wants to!" and then to the passer-by, "Sorry, my dog was just letting me know he works for a living. Don't mind him" . Amazing what a face saver this is. You will come across as a nice person and your dog, as well trained. If you can't get this far with your dog, practice, get a trainer, or get the dog another home.

FCG, carry a sprayer of something. Pepper spray is okay; coke or ammonia is cheaper and effective. The proper response to an owner complaining about a sprayed dog is "Keep your aggressive dog on a leash and it won't happen again." As far as being on whose property when it gets sprayed, if the dog is in the street or in the boulevard, he's fair game.

Best of all team up with others who walk, perhaps dog owners who can use their "dog voice". If alone, speak loudly and commandingly to the dog as was suggested earlier. "GO HOME! GIT! BAD DOG! GO HOME, BAD DOG!" works well. Preferably right before you fill their faces with ammonia.

== Kudos to the man who got a $30M settlement for the dog biting him. Nice going. I used to ride to work every day and can relate. Good Job.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
And no...I don't think a dog should have to either be fenced in or on a leash 24-7. If the owner is responsible the dog will not leave its yard.
That's naive.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure also, that if a dog that barks at a person perceived as a threat/intruder the owner is not going to receive a fine/ticket/warning. IT'S NORMAL FOR THEM TO DO IT! Dogs do this.
re: not going to receive a fine: You don't live around here, I see. Barking dogs are a noise ordinance violation and the city is Very eager to collect their fines.

re: normal for dogs to bark: Only for untrained (or maliciously trained) dogs owned by people who get a kick out of annoying others. Responsible, polite pet owners do not condone their pets annoying the community or being a public nuisance and will correct their pets' behavior.

Quote:
I'm not defending the bad behavior some dogs display. And I'm certainly not excusing it. It's not right, but usually it's the owners fault. If the dog would have been properly trained, most likely it would only have barked as well (referring to the case the OP presented).
Yes, you are defending and excusing it. As I said, that wouldn't work around here. That's what you'd be saying as your ticket/fine was being imposed.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Marmac, I wonder if you're even reading the same thread I am, based on what you keep saying people are saying that bears no relation to what they type.

Someone came on and posted that they were told, not by a poster, but by the police, that they could be at risk of being sued if they injured someone's dog that was attacking them.

Other posters agreed that, yes, that was the case. Not that it's right, but that, yes, that's something to be aware of when deciding what to do in these cases.

Please point to the post in which a poster on here says that animals should have special rights beyond those that a criminal has. Please. (Remembering that there are only two posts before yours in which that particular topic came up.)
No, you point to it yourself. You can figure this out, surely. Hint: It's implied, not stated.

The law says "you MAY be sued" or "risk" criminal charges for pepper spraying a dog. That doesn't mean you will be. Get witnesses. Get a lawyer. Fight back. -- Don't use pepper spray anyway, too expensive. Ammonia or urine is better.

Ugh, I hate people who're condescending to others. It's especially heinous when it's used to try to persuade or intimidate others into accepting stuff that's just plain wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living