U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,890,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
just walk with a stick with dog doo doo on the end of it... if the dogs chase you.. u should rub the stinky end of the stick on those bad dogs when the owners of the dogs get home and smell their stinky dogs.. they will keep there dogs inside ...i would keep my dog inside rather than cleaning doo doo off of them every day.... it's a stinky solution to the problem oohhh and it realy do's not mater what stink you use rotten eggs work well stink is stink... dogs love stinky stuff people don't!!!!
Since I received no response from the OP to my common sense approach almost 100 posts ago, I would advocate your approach with slight modification. I would take the stinky stick with dog doo doo on the end and rub it on the owners that don't control their dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 AM

414 posts, read 900,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Since I received no response from the OP to my common sense approach almost 100 posts ago, I would advocate your approach with slight modification. I would take the stinky stick with dog doo doo on the end and rub it on the owners that don't control their dogs.

HAHA, that is great, lol. B/c after all...if the owners would have trained their dogs (well, there was only one dog that came of the property in the OP's case) this wouldn't have happened.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 AM

20,480 posts, read 38,390,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Out by me, in real farm country, ( not pretend "self sufficent' or pretend "homesteading"-------------I am surprised at the number of farms who no longer have dogs.

Many decided it just wasn't worth the hassle of listening to dogs barking at night.

Also, many farmers found out that their loyal dog who always greeted them as they headed to the barn at 5:00AM, had just gotten back from a night of "bumming" all over the neighborhood.

Many farmers stated they don't want a dog that has to be penned up or tied up at night even on a farm.
As it happens, I live in "real farm country", too. For the most part, folks on the farms and ranches surrounding me have farmed or ranched this land for many generations. (There are a few exceptions, of course.) I'm walking down the roads and visiting them in my mind right now, and I can't think of one that doesn't have one, two, or more dogs.

So, clearly, your mileage (or, in this case, your "real farm country") may vary.

I'm still curious about, not the dog, but the homeowner who yelled at the grandkids for daring to walk or ride bikes on the public roadway and what rest of the story is there. Maybe he needs to be behind a fence!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
Here is a better idea---------just keep walking on that public street / road and if a dog bites you, sue the hell out of the irresponsible dog owner.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,876,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Here is a better idea---------just keep walking on that public street / road and if a dog bites you, sue the hell out of the irresponsible dog owner.
Yep, that is what I did.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM

22,860 posts, read 22,276,062 times
Quote:
So, clearly, your mileage (or, in this case, your "real farm country") may vary.
I agree. Im not in "real farm county" but county. There are 6 homes on our road, 3 with livestock, and 3 former city slickers. We all have at least one dog, but no problems because we act like responsible adults. Sometimes someones dog or cat will stray onto anothers property, but it has never been an issue. I rather enjoy the visits.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM

300 posts, read 1,370,704 times
I live in a rural farming area as well. All of the neighbors on my road know my dogs by Cletus and SadieMae. I know Hazel has two dogs, Jose' and Tinsey, the Sarah and Mike have Tinker, Mike has Cookie and Jack, new neighbors in the trailer have Buffy, Ron across the road has Max, other neighbors have Rusty, Princess, Snow White, Oswald, Bubbles and more. Things must be a bit different in other areas of this big world because we all know each other, know the family pets by name, and accept them as part of the neighborhood and the family they belong to. If Cookie goes down and causes Jose' to bark for over 5 minutes by being near his yard, you just simply call Mike and say "Cookie is getting Jose' all riled up" and he gets her home and scolds her. If Tinker is barking I tell her to shut up and use her name when I tell her so she listens. Some of them run coyotes off and other predators after the chickens and such. They are a part of our community. I really am having a hard time comprehending why there is such an uproar over this. Yeah if you live in town, keep your dogs in your yard of you can and follow leash laws and such. But if you are feeling harrassed by a dog, talk to the owner and tell them how you feel. Trust me, I know as a dog owner I cannot represent every dog owner BUT....

I would appreciate someone coming to me and informing me they are having issues with my dog. I want them to behave, mind and be a positive part of the community, but it is like turning your kids out into society, you hope you teach them well and hope they will act like decent kids, but you never know they are not if someone does not tell you or you catch them in the act. Just tell me there is an issue and I will address it with my dog. At least trying something like that is better than getting frustrated on an internet forum with hundreds of people telling you what they think you should do. Take the matter into your own hands and take charge....talk to the owner. You won't know the outcome unless you try.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 PM

22,860 posts, read 22,276,062 times
Forest Breath

Well, thats what I was trying to say.
Isnt it nice to live in a nice laid back neighborhood.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 PM

414 posts, read 900,673 times
That is what I love about my town too! Laid back!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,876,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
I live in a rural farming area as well. All of the neighbors on my road know my dogs by Cletus and SadieMae. I know Hazel has two dogs, Jose' and Tinsey, the Sarah and Mike have Tinker, Mike has Cookie and Jack, new neighbors in the trailer have Buffy, Ron across the road has Max, other neighbors have Rusty, Princess, Snow White, Oswald, Bubbles and more. Things must be a bit different in other areas of this big world because we all know each other, know the family pets by name, and accept them as part of the neighborhood and the family they belong to. If Cookie goes down and causes Jose' to bark for over 5 minutes by being near his yard, you just simply call Mike and say "Cookie is getting Jose' all riled up" and he gets her home and scolds her. If Tinker is barking I tell her to shut up and use her name when I tell her so she listens. Some of them run coyotes off and other predators after the chickens and such. They are a part of our community. I really am having a hard time comprehending why there is such an uproar over this. Yeah if you live in town, keep your dogs in your yard of you can and follow leash laws and such. But if you are feeling harrassed by a dog, talk to the owner and tell them how you feel. Trust me, I know as a dog owner I cannot represent every dog owner BUT....

I would appreciate someone coming to me and informing me they are having issues with my dog. I want them to behave, mind and be a positive part of the community, but it is like turning your kids out into society, you hope you teach them well and hope they will act like decent kids, but you never know they are not if someone does not tell you or you catch them in the act. Just tell me there is an issue and I will address it with my dog. At least trying something like that is better than getting frustrated on an internet forum with hundreds of people telling you what they think you should do. Take the matter into your own hands and take charge....talk to the owner. You won't know the outcome unless you try.
It takes a village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living