U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,526,708 times
Reputation: 2506

Advertisements

I am an animal lover, but I take pepper spray with me. I have had several dogs come after me over the years when I am walking or running.
I would hate to hurt an animal with the spray, because truly, it is the owner's fault, not the dog's...
But I am not going to get bitten and mauled.
I had talked to the police about this, where I used to live, and they told me it was illegal to use pepper spray on someone's dog. I said, "Well, how do I defend myself? Can I carry a baseball bat and use that?"
They said if I hurt the dog, the owner could sue me. I said, "Sue me for what? Walking in my neighborhood? Protecting myself when their dog charges at me? Am I not defending my life?"

Have people gone nuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 PM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
Reputation: 11471
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I am an animal lover, but I take pepper spray with me. I have had several dogs come after me over the years when I am walking or running.
I would hate to hurt an animal with the spray, because truly, it is the owner's fault, not the dog's...
But I am not going to get bitten and mauled.
I had talked to the police about this, where I used to live, and they told me it was illegal to use pepper spray on someone's dog. I said, "Well, how do I defend myself? Can I carry a baseball bat and use that?"
They said if I hurt the dog, the owner could sue me. I said, "Sue me for what? Walking in my neighborhood? Protecting myself when their dog charges at me? Am I not defending my life?"

Have people gone nuts?
Yep, and you could have criminal charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 03:20 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
Reputation: 8170
Nebulus--------yes, people have gone nuts.

Amazing if a person was --coming after you---- while you were walking you could use force to protect yourself .

Yet it appears poster don't want an animal to have equal rights, but special rights beyond what a criminal has.

I thought PETA was bad in their thinking that animals are equal to humans.
It appears many posters are more extreme than even PETA and believe an angry dog attacking you has more rights than an angry person attacking you.

Unbelievable !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,487 posts, read 38,404,041 times
Reputation: 23066
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Nebulus--------yes, people have gone nuts.

Amazing if a person was --coming after you---- while you were walking you could use force to protect yourself .

Yet it appears poster don't want an animal to have equal rights, but special rights beyond what a criminal has.

I thought PETA was bad in their thinking that animals are equal to humans.
It appears many posters are more extreme than even PETA and believe an angry dog attacking you has more rights than an angry person attacking you.

Unbelievable !
Marmac, I wonder if you're even reading the same thread I am, based on what you keep saying people are saying that bears no relation to what they type.

Someone came on and posted that they were told, not by a poster, but by the police, that they could be at risk of being sued if they injured someone's dog that was attacking them.

Other posters agreed that, yes, that was the case. Not that it's right, but that, yes, that's something to be aware of when deciding what to do in these cases.

Please point to the post in which a poster on here says that animals should have special rights beyond those that a criminal has. Please. (Remembering that there are only two posts before yours in which that particular topic came up.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,801,737 times
Reputation: 967
Wow! I can't believe this thread is still going. Looks like I spurred quite a debate!

One of the common statements I keep reading throughout this thread is that it's "NORMAL" for dogs to menace and bark at strangers.

Well, consider this:

1. It's "normal" for snakes to bite
2. It's "normal" for bees to sting
3. It's normal for horses to buck
4. It's "normal" for skunks to spray

And the list of "normal" behaviors of animals goes on and on...

But as NORMAL as some animal behaviors are, that doesn't mean these behaviors sit well with people. Aggressive, barking dogs that menace innocent passerbys, may be exhibiting "normal" behavior, but that doesn't change the fact that innocent people are startled/frightened; therefore, dog owners should have the courtesy to keep their dogs in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 PM
 
985 posts, read 2,374,519 times
Reputation: 730
I agree, FormerCaliforniaGirl, owners should, but most aggressive dogs are that way because they have bad owners. And bad owner's, unfortunately, could care less about courtesy. There are several dogs that run around my neighborhood, it drives me crazy. It's not the dogs fault that their owners are so irresponsible though. If one attacked me I honestly don't know if I could hurt it, even to defend myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 PM
 
62 posts, read 142,809 times
Reputation: 139
My father (who walks with a cane) was told by his doctor that he needed to exercise more, so he started walking laps around his block. One morning he walked past a house where a very large dog sitting on a frotn porch started snarling and growling at him. My dad just crossed the street and walked on the sidewalk on the other side.

On my dad's second lap the dog started snarling and growling again and then suddenly raced across the street and grabbed my dad's leg. My dad tried to beat him off with his cane but the dog wouldn't let go. A car coming by stopped and started hitting the dog with a car jack. Finally the dog let go and the driver of the car chased him away.

My dad's leg required over 70 stitches. The dog was euthanized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,898,766 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I am an animal lover, but I take pepper spray with me. I have had several dogs come after me over the years when I am walking or running.
I would hate to hurt an animal with the spray, because truly, it is the owner's fault, not the dog's...
But I am not going to get bitten and mauled.
I had talked to the police about this, where I used to live, and they told me it was illegal to use pepper spray on someone's dog. I said, "Well, how do I defend myself? Can I carry a baseball bat and use that?"
They said if I hurt the dog, the owner could sue me. I said, "Sue me for what? Walking in my neighborhood? Protecting myself when their dog charges at me? Am I not defending my life?"

Have people gone nuts?
I am also an animal lover and dog owner, and think what the police told you is ludicrous Are sporting goods places the best place to get pepper spray as I have heard, and do they come in small sizes?

I have a fear of getting attacked and have 2 small dogs on leash when I am walking, and it would be hard to pick both of them up and still protect myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,898,766 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1972 View Post
My father (who walks with a cane) was told by his doctor that he needed to exercise more, so he started walking laps around his block. One morning he walked past a house where a very large dog sitting on a frotn porch started snarling and growling at him. My dad just crossed the street and walked on the sidewalk on the other side.

On my dad's second lap the dog started snarling and growling again and then suddenly raced across the street and grabbed my dad's leg. My dad tried to beat him off with his cane but the dog wouldn't let go. A car coming by stopped and started hitting the dog with a car jack. Finally the dog let go and the driver of the car chased him away.

My dad's leg required over 70 stitches. The dog was euthanized.
So glad to hear the dog was euthanized. In our town a brute of a dog who had previously attacked humans and dogs, viciously killed a small breed at a dog park. It has been determined after his irresponsible owner got a lawyer and after several court proceedings that the dog won't be euthanized after all, but will go to a dog sanctuary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 4,044,973 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
But as NORMAL as some animal behaviors are, that doesn't mean these behaviors sit well with people. Aggressive, barking dogs that menace innocent passerbys, may be exhibiting "normal" behavior, but that doesn't change the fact that innocent people are startled/frightened; therefore, dog owners should have the courtesy to keep their dogs in line.
We've also well established in this thread that some people (especially those who have a general fear and dislike of dogs) are not able to make a distinction between "agressive menacing barking" and "friendly" or "announcement" barking made by perfectly friendly and harmless dogs.

No one in this thread has defended dogs who are truly vicious. But I grew weary of trying to help you distinguish this long ago.

For crying out loud, barking is how dogs communicate! Not every bark is a signal that a dog wants to maul you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:22 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top