U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,853 posts, read 30,803,493 times
Reputation: 22404

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
This line is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Griffy would have been willing to DIE protecting that child, without hesitation, as would any other dog who is part of a family protect its loved ones to the death.

The most admired characteristic of dogs is that they are LOYAL to their owners and would protect and defend them to the end! To suggest that this characteristic be "trained out of them" is beyond me.

Okay ... I promise ... I'm done now.
Apparently you have never known a Husky personally. I am not saying it is a breed characteristic but I knew one once that could have cared less if you had strung his "family" members up and snipped bits off of them with manicure scizzors. Maybe he was just a particularly uninvolved Husky, I don't know.

I wonder if your dog would have been so protective if the stranger would have picked up a stick/ball and thrown it across the yard. Just wondering. I've never known a lab who could resist a stick/ball.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Beautiful East Tennessee
300 posts, read 1,370,904 times
Reputation: 341
I think coming to this thread and warranting this much attention from a barking dog instance is ridiculous. I dare say if bad rep could be given, you would be getting your healthy share of that as well. I would also bet you that others who have tried to help you, who you choose to ridicule and ignore, have probebly gotten good Rep and DM's for their views as well.

It is obvious you have more of a problem than with just this dog. This debate could go on forever and you will continue feeding it because you are enjoying the attention. I have not seen once where you have said, "maybe I WILL try that to see if it works", you just keep on with the negative.

I have two wonderful dogs to play with and have tired of this cry for attention. My dogs deserve the time I waste on this thread. Good luck with your fear of dogs, maybe you can get professional help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
 
62 posts, read 142,825 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
I think coming to this thread and warranting this much attention from a barking dog instance is ridiculous. I dare say if bad rep could be given, you would be getting your healthy share of that as well. I would also bet you that others who have tried to help you, who you choose to ridicule and ignore, have probebly gotten good Rep and DM's for their views as well.

It is obvious you have more of a problem than with just this dog. This debate could go on forever and you will continue feeding it because you are enjoying the attention. I have not seen once where you have said, "maybe I WILL try that to see if it works", you just keep on with the negative.

I have two wonderful dogs to play with and have tired of this cry for attention. My dogs deserve the time I waste on this thread. Good luck with your fear of dogs, maybe you can get professional help.
I have to say I think the OP has a legitimate argument. And you are very rude to accuse her of having other problems and suggest she get professional help when you don't even know her.

I love dogs but I would vote for any law that would ban dogs from being loose in their yards or running on the streets. My dad has a 6 inch scar on his leg that still hurts him, just because some malicious dog decided that this poor old man was a threat to his home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
 
985 posts, read 2,374,762 times
Reputation: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
THAT is the most ridiculous things I have ever heard! The truth is not so much that Griffy would have been willing to die protecting the child; rather, that Griffy would have been willing to KILL OR INJURE AN INNOCENT MAN who was no threat to the child, in its misguided attempt to protect its loved ones.
FormerCaliforniaGirl- I really don't understand, are you blaming the dog? It's not the dog that is the problem, but the owner of the dog. The dog is just acting on instinct and training, it's neither good nor bad. I'm really not trying to be obnoxious, I'm just confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,899,487 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
I think coming to this thread and warranting this much attention from a barking dog instance is ridiculous. I dare say if bad rep could be given, you would be getting your healthy share of that as well. I would also bet you that others who have tried to help you, who you choose to ridicule and ignore, have probebly gotten good Rep and DM's for their views as well.

It is obvious you have more of a problem than with just this dog. This debate could go on forever and you will continue feeding it because you are enjoying the attention. I have not seen once where you have said, "maybe I WILL try that to see if it works", you just keep on with the negative.

I have two wonderful dogs to play with and have tired of this cry for attention. My dogs deserve the time I waste on this thread. Good luck with your fear of dogs, maybe you can get professional help.
Touche'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,899,487 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I see your point. I disagree with it, and I suspect it arises out of fear and a desire that society arrange itself around your fear and, indeed, your preferences (by your own admission, you believe that even a barking dog that is not a threat to you because of its reason for barking is a nuisance). Not at all uncommon, really (the desire that society arrange itself around our individual, personal preferences). But just as much a public nuisance as a barking dog, when you come right down to it.
Ahhh you say that so diplomatically...touche'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 12:09 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 4,045,375 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1972 View Post
I have to say I think the OP has a legitimate argument.
Yes, yes she does. Many of us here have acknowledged that several times.

But she also clearly has an irrational and unrealistic expectation for the behavior of dogs in general. ALL dogs, not just the unsupervised. She wants ALL dogs to stop barking and stop protecting their families and homes.

This is not reasonable nor is it a rational expectation.

It was also quite rude of her to respond to TexasHorseLady the way she did.

Really ... I have to get back to work now! Don't make me come in here again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,801,952 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
FormerCaliforniaGirl- I really don't understand, are you blaming the dog? It's not the dog that is the problem, but the owner of the dog. The dog is just acting on instinct and training, it's neither good nor bad. I'm really not trying to be obnoxious, I'm just confused.
Sigh....I don't blame the dog at all. I blame the owners. A responsible dog owner reins in their dog's natural instinct to be aggressive and protective, and therefore dangerous to humans. Not all dogs and/or dog breeds are aggressive though (my sister's Golden Retriever rolls over to have her belly patted, whether she knows the person or not). But for the dogs that ARE too protective (think "Griffy here...a dog who would kill to protect it's family)...they need to be kept restrained and away from people they don't know.

Look...I'm tired of being bashed here. Thanks to all of you who support my views, either openly or via PM. But I shouldn't have revisited this thread. It's like a car wreck...you don't want to look, but somehow you just do.

Keep bashing away everybody, but for my own peace of mind, I'm not going to read anymore. I find it very disturbing that there are so many of you who actually believe it's okay for dogs to menace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,490 posts, read 38,410,774 times
Reputation: 23086
I find it very disturbing that you persist in saying (so, presumably, thinking, which is the disturbing part), based on what has been posted here that there are many here that believe it's okay for dogs to menace (unprovoked, that is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
 
985 posts, read 2,374,762 times
Reputation: 730
I don't think anyone was saying it's okay for dogs to be menacing either. From reading your posts I got the sense that your anger tends to vacillate between the owner AND the dog itself. That's what I couldn't understand, perhaps I was reading to much into your posts. If I was, I am sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top