U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,795,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Keep bashing away everybody, but for my own peace of mind, I'm not going to read anymore. I find it very disturbing that there are so many of you who actually believe it's okay for dogs to menace.
I definitely don't believe it is OK for dogs to menace.
But, since you live in a place where they do - you have 2 options. Keep track of the offending owners and call the sheriff...or move somewhere with fences.
Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,701,891 times
Horselady------- '"depends on"-----doesn't hack it when it comes to bulls.

Most people killed or seriously injured were done so by bulls they raised and trusted.

Your ignorance of cattle is showing !

Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM

20,559 posts, read 38,454,298 times
I should have mentioned it also depends on the breed. I learned about handling cattle from my grandparents' herd way back in the 1950's/1960's. Their grandkids rode the Jerseys in from the pasture for milking. I raise our cows much the same way that I raise my horses, and they respond accordingly.

I never forget that these animals outweigh me considerably. But you absolutely don't have to have anything to do with them if you don't want, Marmac! Fine by me!

However, this wanders far afield from the original point, which was that dogs and cows are different things, and fencing cows and fencing dogs are two different things, as well, with two very different purposes.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM

300 posts, read 1,371,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elikhom View Post
So she needs professional help for expressing her frustration about not being able to walk around the neighborhood without having an unleashed dog going after her?
Good thing you are going back playing with your dogs, maybe you can learn something from them.
No she should seek professional help because seeking it in an open forum on the internet is not working for her. She has discarded every single suggestion people have kindly made to her and dismissed each one entirely without any consideration that one of those suggestion may be a decent one and just might work. I ahve not once heard her say, 'I never thought of that, I think I will try it, sure won't hurt to try". I have been on internet forums since 1998 and not once have I seen someone come to a forum and post a thread for advice and have all these people come in to offer it and you discard every single one and not even try it.

How much more advice can be offered? I myself walk a lot and I pass by dogs a lot and I myself have read some advice in here that "I" would like to try and I don't even have a fear of dogs. Is it so hard to TRY? And if it is, why ask? It just confuses me is all. I posted in these forums months ago about a home project and was stopped in my tracks by a few kind people who informed me I was doing it all wrong. Did I tear down the house? NO! Did I listen, well of course I did. I took the advice, listened, researched it and made some needed changes to the home and am ever so grateful for that advice, even as hard as it was for me to listen about how much I was screwing up building my home.

I am just a firm believer that if you ask for advice, LISTEN....think about it...and don't just toss it aside because you THINK it will not work or you are not willing to try. You will never know until you try.

And if hundreds of responses from an internet forum are not pleasing you, helping you, assisting you, fixing the problem for you, then yes...maybe you should seek advice from a professional. A professional can be an animal trainer, a Vet, the Humane Society, a medical professional if you feel you have a valid fear of something you DESIRE to get over, someone who you will listen to and accept ADVICE from.

Just my opinion, as worthless as it is. I hate seeing someone have such a fear of any animal. I want to see her be able to walk in her community. But if she makes no attempt to fix the problem other than venting on here, it will never be fixed. None of us, whether for or against dogs, can fix this problem for her. She has to do it herself. And in order to do that, you have to try and so far I cannot see that venting on here is trying all that much.

Not trying to step on toes but that is just how I see it. I did not mean to offend anyone, just stating how I see things from my little corner of seclusion.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM

62 posts, read 142,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I am so sick and tired of dogs!

I have finally stopped going for walks around my neighborhood because of the stupid dogs at every other house that come charging at me. Where are the bleepin' owners?

I live in a town where the houses don't have fenced yards. As you can tell from my name, I used to live in California. Everybody has fences there, so you can walk around your block in relative peace.

But HERE....no way. People let their dogs hang out on their front lawns, and then when I walk by...look out!

From small poodles to big labradors, 90% of the dogs see me coming and go mad. I'm only 5'6" tall, and I don't think I look at all scary. I try to ignore the dogs and stay as far away from their yard as possible, but I can't walk in the middle of the street!

Every once in awhile the owner will hear the ruckus and come out....and CALM THE DOG! Instead of apologizing to me, they coo their dog and tell them it will be okay. Huh?

I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest.

Now I just walk on a treadmill in my basement. Not very pleasant at all.
That was the OPs original post and the title of the thread is "if you are a dog lover don't read this". So what happens? all these dog lovers come and give her advice she didn't ask for. It seems like she was just venting and wasnt looking for your advice and judgement. Sometimes people just need to get it out.

Forestbreath you are a bully. If you were a dog you would be a pitbull

Last edited by Jill1972; 02-20-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,161,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Depends on the bull. Depends on the person. Depends on the person's attitude towards the bull, and how that person has raised the bull. Depends on how close an eye the person has kept on the bull and how well the person knows the bull and can read its body language. Depends on a lot of things that take a bit of thought and work.

Sort of like dogs, come to think of it, in that regard, or any other animal, including humans.
I tend to agree and I deal with multiple bulls/rams on a daily basis. Some are good and some are bad, but mostly it comes down to livestock handling. I had one 2 year old bull called Steak that was extremely tame. On more aggressive bulls, there are things you can do to intimidate them; even big ones that outweigh me 10 to1.

My rule of thumb though...don't turn your back on any bull or ram...ever! Its no so much that they surprise you, but because YOU cannot read them and predict what they will do next.

The problem is, today as society we are losing touch with livestock and dogs. I admit I just scanned this thread, but I never saw a post regarding the true reason dogs were domesticated in the first place...hunting. I have sheep and domestic dogs are the number one problem for sheep owners as far as predation goes...coyotes are second.

I have a lot of dogs run past my sheep, but thank goodness they are trained hunting dogs and know to leave livestock alone and chase coyotes. Its almost ironic...the dogs you see left outside in their kennels and used only to hunt, have less problems then the ones that live inside a house and are coddled. All dogs are hunters to one degree or another...not even humans can change that instinct.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,701,891 times
TeasHorseLady says---------" The grandkids rode the Jerseys in from the pature for milking"--------

I thought you were talking about bulls.

Did your grandpa milk bulls ?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:28 PM

20,559 posts, read 38,454,298 times
Nope. But we weren't afraid of the bull, either, just respectful. (Hmmm, trying to remember if I ever rode the bull. Don't think so, but probably my cousin did.)

Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,257,346 times
Way back yonder on post 22 is some wisdom.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 PM

62 posts, read 142,939 times
I don't think it's a stupid thread I just think the OP got attacked and kept having to defend herself. If the OP is reading this I want you to know that I agree with you and hope that you find a way to deal with the stupid dogs owners in your community.

Somebody told me a few posts back that my dad should of sued the owner of the dog that bit him. My dad got a lawyer and told the owner if they wouldn't fight having the dog destroyed he wouldn't sue. The owner jumped at that, guess he didn't care as much about his dog as he did his bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living