U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times

Advertisements

-"if you'd seen a Giant Pyrenees coming at you wagging its tail "--

Geeeeeeeesh !

Yup, posters twisting barking,growling, circling, with ----"wagging its tail"-----in order to slam and shame another poster's views.

Disgusting !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 AM

20,487 posts, read 38,404,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-"if you'd seen a Giant Pyrenees coming at you wagging its tail "--

Geeeeeeeesh !

Yup, posters twisting barking,growling, circling, with ----"wagging its tail"-----in order to slam and shame another poster's views.

Disgusting !
Assumptions, again. I've had grown men stay well back from my GP (which is good - they were strange men who had come on to my property soliciting business, and I didn't know them from Adam) who was simply sitting quietly beside me wagging her tail. I've seen people react with fear to a dog that was indicating in every way possible that they were friendly and just dying to be friends, because of the person in question's own issues.

People who have dog issues DO make assumptions that have nothing to do with what the dog is doing - I've known other dogs who would be jumping and circling in delight at a person being there, and someone with dog issues (which the poster in question clearly has, based on their advice about the baseball bat and everything they've said sense) is more likely to jump to assumptions that the dog is about to attack that someone without those issues would not. Arm such a person, with their predisposed bias, and you've got a recipe for a sad ending for everybody, including them if they should be required to pay the consequences for their actions.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Driller says-------"they are VERY picky whom they associate with"--

???????????????????

If adysmom isn't trespassing on your property there never would be any --"association"

Of course, if you are one of the many dog owners who believe public roads are a place where dogs have priority, I can see your replies fit.

Seems it is posters who state they own 55 acres or 100 acres that are the most defensive of dogs that growl,bark,and circle , on public roads.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM

------" strange men who had come onto my property"----

---onto my property---?

apples to oranges

the topic is about barking, growling dogs who come onto public roads.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 AM

3,702 posts, read 16,505,835 times
Sorry guys, I have to agree with Ady to some degree. I live in the city and don't have any problems with dogs when I walk, barking or otherwise. As far as I am concerned, I like it when my neighbor's dogs bark at strangers...it warns me too. BUT (knew that was coming), when I go up to the lakehouse in the country (NE TX), it is a whole different issue. I still do not have problems with barking dogs or contained/restrained dogs but so many folks have dumped dogs down in that area that they have formed packs. There are literally at least 30+ masterless (or no one admits ownership) dogs (not including puppies) in that area. It is real problem that we have been unable to get help for despite 3 persons injured by attacks. In order to walk down to the lake or even to the mailboxes at the end of the road, you MUST carry a bat or gun for your own protection. Several of the dogs have subsequently been shot or have had to be beaten off. Someone (we all have suspects but no one is turning them in) really got tired of the threat and started putting out poison, I can understand their frustration but do not agree with their methods as this has resulted in the death of one owned dog and several owned cats. The county finally did something, instead of getting rid of the dogs or coralling the ones that attacked people, they put up signs offering a reward for the poisoner. I just have to shake my head. Folks are still carrying around their bats and guns and doing in the dogs that get out of line, meanwhile they are reproducing like rabbits and decimating the area wildlife (even taking down deer). It is just a bad situation. Having witnessed my 80 yo neighbor lady being attacked by a pack of three of these dogs and have to be carted away in an ambulance (yes I did weigh in w/ a big stick along with 2 other folks and was also slightly injured) just to get to her mailbox, I do not have a problem w/ folks carrying bats as long as they are used only on attacking dogs.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 AM

20,487 posts, read 38,404,041 times
Marmac, you probably don't realize, not having read all of my posts on various threads, and ignoring the one about my dog being in a fenced yard in town, that I lived 5 minutes from downtown for quite some time, and only moved out to the country about 12 years ago, and still own a house in the city where I lived (in the city, not that particular house) for almost 30 years before moving out here. Before that, I lived in Dallas and environs.

See? Assumptions do it again!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
Quote:
Driller says-------"they are VERY picky whom they associate with"--

???????????????????

If adysmom isn't trespassing on your property there never would be any --"association"

Of course, if you are one of the many dog owners who believe public roads are a place where dogs have priority, I can see your replies fit.

Seems it is posters who state they own 55 acres or 100 acres that are the most defensive of dogs that growl,bark,and circle , on public roads.
Anyone on our land would be picked up on camera as soon as they took the first step. The dogs would be the least of their problems.
We had some illegal deer hunters try that. We have two NICE rifles now.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I am so sick and tired of dogs!

I have finally stopped going for walks around my neighborhood because of the stupid dogs at every other house that come charging at me. Where are the bleepin' owners?

I live in a town where the houses don't have fenced yards. As you can tell from my name, I used to live in California. Everybody has fences there, so you can walk around your block in relative peace.

But HERE....no way. People let their dogs hang out on their front lawns, and then when I walk by...look out!

From small poodles to big labradors, 90% of the dogs see me coming and go mad. I'm only 5'6" tall, and I don't think I look at all scary. I try to ignore the dogs and stay as far away from their yard as possible, but I can't walk in the middle of the street!

Every once in awhile the owner will hear the ruckus and come out....and CALM THE DOG! Instead of apologizing to me, they coo their dog and tell them it will be okay. Huh?

I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest.

Now I just walk on a treadmill in my basement. Not very pleasant at all.
Here ya go. The OP thinks all dogs SHOULD be turned lose.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:40 AM

In our state we can call the law enforcement about hunters trespassing.

No way could we confiscate their rifles.

Laws must be different in Michigan.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
In our state we can call the law enforcement about hunters trespassing.

No way could we confiscate their rifles.

Laws must be different in Michigan.
Nope. Just come up behind them, tell them to drop the rifles and get out. They were glad to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living