Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Yes, but I think the "practical advice" was all about what I need to do to accomodate the dogs' rudeness (for lack of a better term), and not what the dog owners need to do to keep their dogs in line. And I don't think that's right.
I'm trying to help you understand the difference between "rude and vicious" dogs and "normal" dogs.

At first I wondered where you lived that you were surrounded by so many rude and vicious dogs! Now, after a few more posts, I've realized that we are talking about mostly normal dogs and you are just very sensitive about them barking at you. I can certainly understand that - but it is a different issue and requires a different approach.

If the owners are keeping their dogs in their own yards, then I don't know what more you can ask of them. It simply isn't reasonable to expect that a dog is never going to bark at you. If a dog has actually come out of its yard and threatened you, then that's a different story. You certainly have a right to not be threatened. The advice for that is earlier in the thread.

But yes, the more practical advice is about what you can do to more peacefully coexist with normal dogs in your neighborhood (and it sounds like most of them fall into this category.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times

Quote:
I am so sick and tired of dogs!

I have finally stopped going for walks around my neighborhood because of the stupid dogs at every other house that come charging at me. Where are the bleepin' owners?

I live in a town where the houses don't have fenced yards. As you can tell from my name, I used to live in California. Everybody has fences there, so you can walk around your block in relative peace.

But HERE....no way. People let their dogs hang out on their front lawns, and then when I walk by...look out!

From small poodles to big labradors, 90% of the dogs see me coming and go mad. I'm only 5'6" tall, and I don't think I look at all scary. I try to ignore the dogs and stay as far away from their yard as possible, but I can't walk in the middle of the street!

Every once in awhile the owner will hear the ruckus and come out....and CALM THE DOG! Instead of apologizing to me, they coo their dog and tell them it will be okay. Huh?

I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest.

Now I just walk on a treadmill in my basement. Not very pleasant at all.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
I live out in the country and we do have a leash law within our town limits (our town incorporated about 10 yrs ago). In my neighborhood, just about everyone has a dog and a fence. The dogs always barked at me when I took walks before I had a dog, and now that I am walking with a dog they REALLY bark at us. I would not feel comfortable taking a walk if there were not a fence, so I know what you mean. Editing to add: I do believe these dogs are just being either territorial or overly excited but I only know a few of the owners so I like the security of the fence.

I had an encounter once in our old suburban neighborhood where a medium to large sized dog came running out an open gate into the middle of the street and started growling and walking around me and the babies in the stroller. Very scary. The chihuahua up the street that came running out into his driveway barking at me til I passed the property line was not a big deal. I was more concerned he would run out into the street and get run over.

I was going to humorously suggest an air horn, but it might be something worth carrying. If nothing else, it gets the owners up and out to see what is going on.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 PM

140 posts, read 470,832 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if there are leash laws in this town or not. But since the dogs are on their own property, I'm assuming the owner's aren't breaking any laws.

I've considered carrying a baseball bat, or even pepper spray (or both), but I don't want to get sued if I injure a dog (it would be the owner's word against mine). Plus, I'm not sure I could actually hit a dog with a baseball bat (I'm kind of a wimp).

On one occasion, a black labrador (I thought they were supposed to be friendly dogs?), came charging toward me. It was the most threatened I've ever felt by a dog, so I screamed and (instinctively) started to run. The owner heard my scream and the dogs barking and came running out and called the dog. I stopped and looked back, and I made eye contact with the owner. No apology. Nothing. She just patted her dog on the head and took it into the house. Huh??

I almost think that these dog owners like the fact that their dogs are scaring people....makes them feel safe. But the neighborhood I live in is very nice, and there aren't bad people here (no gangs, drugs, etc.). It's just a nice family neighborhood.

I just don't get it.

Running was probably the dumbest thing you could of done

Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
I am so sick and tired of dogs!

I have finally stopped going for walks around my neighborhood because of the stupid dogs at every other house that come charging at me. Where are the bleepin' owners?

I live in a town where the houses don't have fenced yards. As you can tell from my name, I used to live in California. Everybody has fences there, so you can walk around your block in relative peace.

But HERE....no way. People let their dogs hang out on their front lawns, and then when I walk by...look out!

From small poodles to big labradors, 90% of the dogs see me coming and go mad. I'm only 5'6" tall, and I don't think I look at all scary. I try to ignore the dogs and stay as far away from their yard as possible, but I can't walk in the middle of the street!

Every once in awhile the owner will hear the ruckus and come out....and CALM THE DOG! Instead of apologizing to me, they coo their dog and tell them it will be okay. Huh?

I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest.

Now I just walk on a treadmill in my basement. Not very pleasant at all.
If you are really interested in solving your problem without isolating yourself, you need to separate several aspects of the problem. You can discuss the dog's behavior with their owners. Some will be responsible, while others will ignore you. Actually no caring dog owner would let their dog have access to run out of the yard into the street.

For the percentage of dog owners that continue as morons, drop your expectations that they will offer a constructive solution. Then the remaining challenge will be to work on your fear of dogs. Animals sense your fear and will try to dominate you. Some may bite, but most will simply intimidate you out of their area because they know they can. Personally, I love dogs, but I can clearly communicate that I am the "alpha" dog. I have learned to look at a dog and it will back off. I project an attitude that the dog may approach me only if I give it permission. The dog first perceives me as powerful and possibly dangerous, then it seeks my protection.

I am not trying to be critical, but unless you work on these skills, you are doomed to hide in your basement on a treadmill while the neighborhood dogs are outside enjoying the sunshine.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post

If you want to get on friendlier terms with the dogs, carry some dog treats in your pocket. Ask the owner if it's okay to give one to the dog when you walk by. You will be the most popular walker in the neighborhood!! The dogs will see you and come wagging their tails! Toss them the treat before they get too close for comfort and they will soon learn to love you and probably stop barking at you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnytails View Post
I live in a small town too and when dogs come charging at me I used to freak out and run. Then my bf said" Don't ever run, watch this" So this dog came charging at us, he turned around and started stomping towards the dog saying GET GET. The dog stopped and just sat there. When it followed us again, my bf turned around and pretended to chase it home. He said to me" Never show fear, show them who's boss" It's weird because when we walk past this dog, he barks but never comes out and chases us anymore. LOL
Samantha, I have done that with the treats before, but I didn't check with the owners first. I got a bag of a generic form of those "Beggin' Strips" advertised on TV. When I'm walking and the dog comes out barking I will walk a little slower or stop and toss a couple treats near him..no TO him. As long as he sees it and goes to check it out. After a couple to three days of that you won't have any problem.
I had some friends who had a early morning paper route for over 10 years. She kept a bag of bite size Tootsie Rolls between the seats at all times. I think when the dogs heard the rattle of that car, their mouths started watering. And no the chocolate didn't kill the dogs. But the couple's son said he bet some went into diabetic shock when they quit the route! lol

Bunnytails, my dad told me to stop and bend over like I'm picking up a rock. They may not stop barking but they will either stop or back up thinking you're getting ready to throw a rock at them.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
I would ask each owner about treats. I had one trained guard dog. The offer of anything was seen as an "alert". She would take you down for that.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
The ingredient in chocolate that is bad for dogs doesn't kill them instantly. It's cumulative, depends on the amount and the kind of chocolate eaten over time, the size of the dog versus the amount eaten, etc. So just because the dogs didn't drop dead from eating a toosie roll doesn't mean it wasn't bad for them.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The ingredient in chocolate that is bad for dogs doesn't kill them instantly. It's cumulative, depends on the amount and the kind of chocolate eaten over time, the size of the dog versus the amount eaten, etc. So just because the dogs didn't drop dead from eating a toosie roll doesn't mean it wasn't bad for them.
I don't advocate tootsie rolls as dog treats. But the amount of actual chocolate in them is pretty scant. They are almost entirely sugar and corn syrup with flavoring. (that's why they don't melt)

They are not good dog treats because the sticky sugar is bad for their teeth.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
The occasional, rare tootsie roll (or other treat containing chocolate) is not going to hurt the average dog. A regular diet of them, however, can cause all sorts of damage.

I agree that there's precious little chocolate in tootsie rolls, but one doesn't want to leave the notion out there that because a dog didn't drop over dead from eating a tootsie roll that chocolate in and of itself isn't toxic for dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living