U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,876,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I am not sure, But I would have too think the Micheal Vick animal abuse case and self defense when on public land and protecting our property is 100% two deferent things. Dog fighting is clearly abuse even if it does help to eradicate pit bulls.
Here ya go. "Even if it does help to eradicate pit bulls". So you find it useful??? Do you profit from it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 AM

20,480 posts, read 38,390,611 times
FormerCaliforniaGirl, this thread has clearly progressed far beyond your original complaint. And, for the record, I have no problem with pepper spray or something similar used on an attacking dog (or human, for that matter). I think what keeps this thread going is the appalling suggestions that one poster has made that ignore the connection between cruelty to animals and cruelty to humans.

Human Abuse - Cruelty to Animals

I found lots of information online on this topic, but this one is pretty clear. One doesn't have to love animals to understand that cruelty to animals is one of the three red flags of a psychopath who will move on to humans.

New York City Bar Association on the connection between battered women and children and abuse of animals.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,801,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
First t is not the dogs fault, its the people who have them that are the issue.
Secondly I am totally appalled at your statement "I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest". Your comment is sicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh puleeez....have you ever heard of sarcasm? I was venting. Good grief.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
FormerCaliforniaGirl, this thread has clearly progressed far beyond your original complaint. And, for the record, I have no problem with pepper spray or something similar used on an attacking dog (or human, for that matter). I think what keeps this thread going is the appalling suggestions that one poster has made that ignore the connection between cruelty to animals and cruelty to humans.

Human Abuse - Cruelty to Animals

I found lots of information online on this topic, but this one is pretty clear. One doesn't have to love animals to understand that cruelty to animals is one of the three red flags of a psychopath who will move on to humans.

New York City Bar Association on the connection between battered women and children and abuse of animals.
I agree with your point about this thread progressing beyond my original post.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM

570 posts, read 1,408,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Here ya go. "Even if it does help to eradicate pit bulls". So you find it useful??? Do you profit from it??
You seem to have a big problem understanding what I said. Is it you or me.
I DON'T fight dogs or chickens, Don't you know that's illegal..

Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 AM

So is poisoning dogs and bashing them with baseball bats.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
You seem to have a big problem understanding what I said. Is it you or me.
I DON'T fight dogs or chickens, Don't you know that's illegal..
I see you want to ERADICATE a whole breed. FYI, one of Michael Vick's victims is now a service dog.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Oh dear...now this thread's really taken a turn for the worse...now we're talking about Pit-Bulls. (I won't even go there).

Here's a happy dog story. My neighbor across the street has a Golden Retriever. I don't see her much...she's basically an indoor dog.

Anyway, she was a bad girl this morning because when I went out to get my paper, she was standing in my driveway. She's not supposed to leave her house. But there was something about her that made me know, instantly, that she was harmless. Maybe it was because she laid down and rolled on her back and stuck all four feet in the air when she saw me coming

No sooner had I started to pet her, when her owner came out looking for her. She came across the street and profusely apologized to me for her dog's trespassing. And she half-heartedly scolded the dog (it was kind of too late to seriously scold her at that point).

We talked for quite awhile about the neighborhood dogs, and I confided in her that many of them were very annoying and menacing. She agreed and admitted that she doesn't walk her Golden (name is Chloe) around the neighborhood anymore.

It was refreshing to spend time with a dog like Chloe. Her owner said she's a lousy watchdog because she basically just drops and rolls whenever she sees a stranger. But I think she's very sweet.

Does anybody know if this Golden is a fluke? Or do most of them have sweet-natured temperaments like that? Just curious.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Oh dear...now this thread's really taken a turn for the worse...now we're talking about Pit-Bulls. (I won't even go there).

Here's a happy dog story. My neighbor across the street has a Golden Retriever. I don't see her much...she's basically an indoor dog.

Anyway, she was a bad girl this morning because when I went out to get my paper, she was standing in my driveway. She's not supposed to leave her house. But there was something about her that made me know, instantly, that she was harmless. Maybe it was because she laid down and rolled on her back and stuck all four feet in the air when she saw me coming

No sooner had I started to pet her, when her owner came out looking for her. She came across the street and profusely apologized to me for her dog's trespassing. And she half-heartedly scolded the dog (it was kind of too late to seriously scold her at that point).

We talked for quite awhile about the neighborhood dogs, and I confided in her that many of them were very annoying and menacing. She agreed and admitted that she doesn't walk her Golden (name is Chloe) around the neighborhood anymore.

It was refreshing to spend time with a dog like Chloe. Her owner said she's a lousy watchdog because she basically just drops and rolls whenever she sees a stranger. But I think she's very sweet.

Does anybody know if this Golden is a fluke? Or do most of them have sweet-natured temperaments like that? Just curious.
Yep, they are sweet. So are my labs.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Goldens (and labs - I have a lab/GP cross) tend to be very friendly and laid back. The rolling on the back to get a tummy rub thing is something I'm very familiar with. (My Joey also likes to like on his back and have me hold his front paws and move them up and down - don't ask me why, he just loves it and would lie there all day if I was willing to do it all day.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living