Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:00 PM

250 posts, read 682,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I am so sick and tired of dogs!

I have finally stopped going for walks around my neighborhood because of the stupid dogs at every other house that come charging at me. Where are the bleepin' owners?

I live in a town where the houses don't have fenced yards. As you can tell from my name, I used to live in California. Everybody has fences there, so you can walk around your block in relative peace.

But HERE....no way. People let their dogs hang out on their front lawns, and then when I walk by...look out!

From small poodles to big labradors, 90% of the dogs see me coming and go mad. I'm only 5'6" tall, and I don't think I look at all scary. I try to ignore the dogs and stay as far away from their yard as possible, but I can't walk in the middle of the street!

Every once in awhile the owner will hear the ruckus and come out....and CALM THE DOG! Instead of apologizing to me, they coo their dog and tell them it will be okay. Huh?

I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest.

Now I just walk on a treadmill in my basement. Not very pleasant at all.

I actually love dogs but totally agree with you on this. I go jogging in my neighborhood and twice could have been seriously hurt by this same thing. 1st x listening to my Ipod in the runners zone and 2 dogs came charging at me jogging in front of their house on the sidewalk...I was so startled and scared I jumped a few feet into the street thinking I was going to be attacked...now if a car would have been driving by I would have been hit...there would have been a huge law suit. 2nd x bike riding on a busy road in front of a woman sitting on a porch with her dog....dog came charging at me, startled I tried to manuver out of the way and fell off my bike into the street...again thank god there was no car coming at that second. The owner didn't even say anything...just soothed her dog.
I don't think you should have to almost get killed just trying to enjoy a bike ride or a jog. Now I can't relax and have to always be on the lookout for dogs. But what else can you do. Stay in on the treadmill or bring pepper spray...spray the s&%t out of them if they overstep their bounderies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM

414 posts, read 1,007,895 times
"I don't think you should have to almost get killed just trying to enjoy a bike ride or a jog."

Totally agree on this point. However, that is one reason I have never been a fan of listening to music while running. I think if you are outside you should be paying full attention to your surroundings. When I run, I enjoy the scenery and everything around me. It's not only dogs, but cars are even a more likely source of injury than dogs!! I think if you want to listen to music while running, do it on a treadmill or on a local outdoor track where cars and dogs will not be an issue.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,991,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMT View Post
I actually love dogs but totally agree with you on this. I go jogging in my neighborhood and twice could have been seriously hurt by this same thing. 1st x listening to my Ipod in the runners zone and 2 dogs came charging at me jogging in front of their house on the sidewalk...I was so startled and scared I jumped a few feet into the street thinking I was going to be attacked...now if a car would have been driving by I would have been hit...there would have been a huge law suit. 2nd x bike riding on a busy road in front of a woman sitting on a porch with her dog....dog came charging at me, startled I tried to manuver out of the way and fell off my bike into the street...again thank god there was no car coming at that second. The owner didn't even say anything...just soothed her dog.
I don't think you should have to almost get killed just trying to enjoy a bike ride or a jog. Now I can't relax and have to always be on the lookout for dogs. But what else can you do. Stay in on the treadmill or bring pepper spray...spray the s&%t out of them if they overstep their bounderies.
So far the best advice I've gotten is the pepper spray. I am NOT going to feed the little beasties tootsie rolls or dog treats.

My husband and I will find an effective pepper spray, and I'll learn how to use it. However, I will NEVER spray a dog unless it leaves it's property and threatens me. I don't approach these dogs (I never go up to their driveway or lawn..I stay in the street). But if a dog leave its yard and comes at me, then I'm spraying the hell out of it.

Thanks everybody for all your great advice. I feel a bit empowered now

Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
So far the best advice I've gotten is the pepper spray. I am NOT going to feed the little beasties tootsie rolls or dog treats.

My husband and I will find an effective pepper spray, and I'll learn how to use it. However, I will NEVER spray a dog unless it leaves it's property and threatens me. I don't approach these dogs (I never go up to their driveway or lawn..I stay in the street). But if a dog leave its yard and comes at me, then I'm spraying the hell out of it.

Thanks everybody for all your great advice. I feel a bit empowered now
Unless the dog hurts you, not just frightens you. You could be charged with animal cruelty.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Unless the dog hurts you, not just frightens you. You could be charged with animal cruelty.
Well, the point of the pepper spray is to PREVENT the dog from hurting me. Am I supposed to let the dog bite me first, and then spray it? That doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,298,124 times
I think what was meant that, you clearly have some fear issues regarding dogs that might make it difficult for you to tell the difference between "approach" and "attack". If a dog approaches you but is not threatening, spraying it is inappropriate. If the dog is clearly in attack mode, spray away!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,681,217 times
I don't know, I'm on the fence here. I have seen some dogs that are very unpredicable on how they will act to a jogger. I have a neighbor that lets his dog bark and charge anyone on the perimeter of its yard. I think at the end of the day, you just don't know what a dog will do. An animal will attack someone for no reason--and it's always the ones that you least expect. My brother was nearly mauled to death by a dog when he was 5 years old, so I have some hard feelings in this situation, however, I do have a dog of my own that barks a storm at people walking/jogging by. My thought is that all dogs should be on a leash when in the front yard (depends on size of land).

Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think what was meant that, you clearly have some fear issues regarding dogs that might make it difficult for you to tell the difference between "approach" and "attack". If a dog approaches you but is not threatening, spraying it is inappropriate. If the dog is clearly in attack mode, spray away!
LOL...knowing me, I'd probably just end up spraying myself.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM

414 posts, read 1,007,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Completely agree here. When I walk my pom he will bark at people as we walk by...but that is his way of saying hello, he is wagging his tail while he is doing it. Tonight I was walking down our aparment steps (which is inside) and the door leading outside is a glass door. He saw two people walking by and barked. As I opened the door I heard the high school kid say something about how if he hears him bark again he's going to kick/beat (couldn't decipher which word) the S**T out of my dog. Yes, he was talking about my dog b/c him and his girlfriend were turned around as he said it.

If you don't know the dog (and YES mine was on a leash) you have to be careful. I was really offended b/c my dog is harmless. When he barks he's leaning forward on his leash. I once apologized to a lady and she said "Why are you apologizing? He's a dog...and I own a pom so I know how they are."

So that is just a word of caution...while these dogs you speak of are not on a leash...they may have the same intentions. Most are just curious and it sounds as if you have a real fear of an animal which is normally quite gentle nature. Remember, they just are protective by nature. Also remember...dogs mark their territory...so poles, tree, hydrants etc. that may be out of the yard are also considered their territory.

Again...instead of using a pepper spray...why not look into overcoming your fear, and adopt a dog. Most dogs enjoy walks/runs and you'll have your own personal protection instead of harming the other dogs. As an owner...yes I'm being repetetive...if you sprayed my dog in the face I would be pretty ticked off. If the dog just steps on the sidewalk and you spray it that is not right. You will have no proof it was aggressive since you don't understand dog's behaviors and their motivations for approaching people. And...most dogs are associated with other people besides their owners and if they agree that the dog is well-tempered, or if the vet and groomer say the same...you could be in some trouble. The vet and groomer especially...they work with the dog a lot and if a dog is fine getting brushed, goomed and receiving shots/who knows what else, this is not a good case for you. Usually if they are not aggressive there, they aren't towards the random jogger. You have to be aware of temperments and signs of aggression before you make a decision like harming the animal and it sounds like you're making assumptions.

I'm just saying do your homework before you start pepper spraying these dogs. Some might be quite friendly...why not ask the owners what their names are so you can say "(Insert Dog's Name) NO, GO HOME" and usually that means go back to the house.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Well, the point of the pepper spray is to PREVENT the dog from hurting me. Am I supposed to let the dog bite me first, and then spray it? That doesn't make any sense.
Many things in life is that way. Go tell the police you think someone might hurt you. They will tell you when they do, let them know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living