Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
Completely agree here. When I walk my pom he will bark at people as we walk by...but that is his way of saying hello, he is wagging his tail while he is doing it. Tonight I was walking down our aparment steps (which is inside) and the door leading outside is a glass door. He saw two people walking by and barked. As I opened the door I heard the high school kid say something about how if he hears him bark again he's going to kick/beat (couldn't decipher which word) the S**T out of my dog. Yes, he was talking about my dog b/c him and his girlfriend were turned around as he said it.

If you don't know the dog (and YES mine was on a leash) you have to be careful. I was really offended b/c my dog is harmless. When he barks he's leaning forward on his leash. I once apologized to a lady and she said "Why are you apologizing? He's a dog...and I own a pom so I know how they are."

So that is just a word of caution...while these dogs you speak of are not on a leash...they may have the same intentions. Most are just curious and it sounds as if you have a real fear of an animal which is normally quite gentle nature. Remember, they just are protective by nature. Also remember...dogs mark their territory...so poles, tree, hydrants etc. that may be out of the yard are also considered their territory.

Again...instead of using a pepper spray...why not look into overcoming your fear, and adopt a dog. Most dogs enjoy walks/runs and you'll have your own personal protection instead of harming the other dogs. As an owner...yes I'm being repetetive...if you sprayed my dog in the face I would be pretty ticked off. If the dog just steps on the sidewalk and you spray it that is not right. You will have no proof it was aggressive since you don't understand dog's behaviors and their motivations for approaching people. And...most dogs are associated with other people besides their owners and if they agree that the dog is well-tempered, or if the vet and groomer say the same...you could be in some trouble. The vet and groomer especially...they work with the dog a lot and if a dog is fine getting brushed, goomed and receiving shots/who knows what else, this is not a good case for you. Usually if they are not aggressive there, they aren't towards the random jogger. You have to be aware of temperments and signs of aggression before you make a decision like harming the animal and it sounds like you're making assumptions.

I'm just saying do your homework before you start pepper spraying these dogs. Some might be quite friendly...why not ask the owners what their names are so you can say "(Insert Dog's Name) NO, GO HOME" and usually that means go back to the house.
I would never spray a dog unless I was clearly threatened. I'm not an idiot...I DO know the difference between a yappy, harmless dog and an aggressive, threatening dog.

And no...I'm not going to adopt a dog. My husband and I work full-time, and we travel a lot. We couldn't give the dog the time and attention it would need.

But again, I don't think this is going to be an issue. If I actually get the pepper spray (which I go back and forth on....one minute I feel like Superwoman, and the next I feel like the wimp that I am), whether I could actually use it or not is another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,032 times
The dogs are only acting instinctively all puff ruff. The logical way to beat this is carry treats... they will be waiting to greet you much differently. Also call out to them upon approach, make up something like... sit for nana. When they hear it they will know it's you coming... they learn fast. ouuu lady with the treats is coming, yum.

I'd certainly try this first if you enjoy outdoor walking. Good luck. It might take 5 or 10 times but they should get the hang of it.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I would never spray a dog unless I was clearly threatened. I'm not an idiot...I DO know the difference between a yappy, harmless dog and an aggressive, threatening dog.

And no...I'm not going to adopt a dog. My husband and I work full-time, and we travel a lot. We couldn't give the dog the time and attention it would need.

But again, I don't think this is going to be an issue. If I actually get the pepper spray (which I go back and forth on....one minute I feel like Superwoman, and the next I feel like the wimp that I am), whether I could actually use it or not is another matter.
I've read through this thread and it sounds like dangerous, barking, small-town dogs are making your life a living hell. I think your best course of action is to return to a large city in California where life is much safer and where dog owners, indeed all people, are friendlier and more apologetic.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would ask each owner about treats. I had one trained guard dog. The offer of anything was seen as an "alert". She would take you down for that.

QQ 4 U All;
If OP can not walk on the sidewalk minding her business without being attacked, how can she walk up to the front door, ring the bell to discuss this problem with the owner? Surely she will be eaten alive half-way near the door bell. The other alternative is to stand in the road while the owner is holding back a barking dog, screaming "How can I make friends with your dog so that I can get my daily exercise?"

Im thinking, type up a note on MS Word (make copies) and drop in their mailboxes.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:21 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I do wonder at the fact that 90% of the dogs that you pass charge you. That seems excessive and I'm wondering what it is that's inspiring this reaction. Not to say that you're inviting it or that you are to blame in any way, but wondering what it is that's causing such a huge percentage of dogs to react to you in this fashion.
Her perfume? Body odour? Who knows.

Sorry, couldn't help myself......

Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I've read through this thread and it sounds like dangerous, barking, small-town dogs are making your life a living hell. I think your best course of action is to return to a large city in California where life is much safer and where dog owners, indeed all people, are friendlier and more apologetic.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,599 times
Quote:

Yea..anyone can clue in that my pom is not a vicious animal, but you'd be surprised at the people who give me dirty looks and back away b/c he's a "yappy, harmless dog". It is part of how the breed is and as much as we have worked with him...it is somehow lodged in his brain.

It just comes across, whether it is true or not, as if you are unsure about the differences between a dog defending its' territory in a very appropriate manner and a dog that comes across aggressive. I was just suggesting to really try and understand the differences. Many people, if they are not familiar with dogs' behavior can be mixed up on their reactions.

Quite fair of you not to adopt a dog...the travel issue is a very good reason. It was merely a suggestion since I didn't know that before (there are so many dogs that don't have homes, I thought it wold be worth suggesting).

Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
Quite fair of you not to adopt a dog...the travel issue is a very good reason. It was merely a suggestion since I didn't know that before (there are so many dogs that don't have homes, I thought it wold be worth suggesting).
Regardless of her lifestyle reasons, the OP is definitely NOT a dog person. Not only that but she has a very real fear and genuine dislike of dogs in general. (Which is fine, not everyone likes dogs, nothing "wrong" with that.)

But IMHO, adopting a dog is NOT the way to BECOME a dog person. It's a recipe for disaster for all concerned.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
You know, there really is some truth to what you say. In San Diego (where I'm from), people just seem to be more socially conscious. It's a big city and houses are very close together. You have to learn to be accommodating and considerate or the problems would be endless.

Dog owners in San Diego keep their dogs in their fenced yards (usually the backyard). There are strict leash laws, and dogs that are running loose are picked up by Animal Control. I never had any problems with dogs in San Diego....the one's I encountered on my walks were always on leashes and were friendly (I guess once the dog's off its property, the protective instinct is lessened). But where I live now (not really a small town, but a small city compared to San Diego....just a population of about 40,000), people are much less accomodating and can be very selfish and rude.

But I can't go back to S.D. My life is here now (for reasons I won't bore you with...they're not really interesting). And I DO like my new home a lot...it's just that the dog situation is tough on me. Hence why I posted this thread.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
You know, there really is some truth to what you say. In San Diego (where I'm from), people just seem to be more socially conscious. It's a big city and houses are very close together. You have to learn to be accommodating and considerate or the problems would be endless.

Dog owners in San Diego keep their dogs in their fenced yards (usually the backyard). There are strict leash laws, and dogs that are running loose are picked up by Animal Control. I never had any problems with dogs in San Diego....the one's I encountered on my walks were always on leashes and were friendly (I guess once the dog's off its property, the protective instinct is lessened). But where I live now (not really a small town, but a small city compared to San Diego....just a population of about 40,000), people are much less accomodating and can be very selfish and rude.

But I can't go back to S.D. My life is here now (for reasons I won't bore you with...they're not really interesting). And I DO like my new home a lot...it's just that the dog situation is tough on me. Hence why I posted this thread.
Really I don't think they are being rude. You are just the "new kid on the block". You will get uses to their ways. Someplace on this forum there is whole threads about outsiders coming in and trying to change things. Maybe you could take time to read thought a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living