Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
You know, there really is some truth to what you say. In San Diego (where I'm from), people just seem to be more socially conscious. It's a big city and houses are very close together. You have to learn to be accommodating and considerate or the problems would be endless.

Dog owners in San Diego keep their dogs in their fenced yards (usually the backyard). There are strict leash laws, and dogs that are running loose are picked up by Animal Control. I never had any problems with dogs in San Diego....the one's I encountered on my walks were always on leashes and were friendly (I guess once the dog's off its property, the protective instinct is lessened). But where I live now (not really a small town, but a small city compared to San Diego....just a population of about 40,000), people are much less accomodating and can be very selfish and rude.

But I can't go back to S.D. My life is here now (for reasons I won't bore you with...they're not really interesting). And I DO like my new home a lot...it's just that the dog situation is tough on me. Hence why I posted this thread.
I know we live in the same state FCG.
I don't understand why you aren't being more proactive and contacting the police department and animal control about this issue? How can you not know if you have leash laws there, if this has become such an issue with you? I also find your title funny as it would entice dog lovers to check it out.

Here in Madison we have leash laws, but I have had dogs run out in the street at me walking my 2 toy dogs. I have also been very irritated by the owners who don't feel they have to follow the city ordinances. These dogs never actually harmed us, but I did give a tongue lashing to the owners.

I have a fenced yard and having lived previously in CA, yes most people generally have fenced yards which I relished. I never leave my dogs to charge anyone.

Some people have the invisible fencing and or they have their dogs completely trained not to leave the outskirts of their yard. In this case they are doing nothing wrong legally, but I have to deal with walking by their homes and my dogs reacting to their dogs...and yes I am fearful of big dogs I don't know.

It's not a perfect world, but I would suggest you complain about these people who are allowing their dogs out of their yards!!! Do you have an HOA? In our city if you complained about a specific person that allowed their dog to charge, I think a police officer could make a visit and verbally warn them, and/or ticket.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 02-17-2009 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I know we live in the same state FCG.
I don't understand why you aren't being more proactive and contacting the police department and animal control about this issue? How can you not know if you have leash laws there, if this has become such an issue with you? I also find your title funny as it would entice dog lovers to check it out.

Here in Madison we have leash laws, but I have had dogs run out in the street at me walking my 2 toy dogs. I have also been very irritated by the owners who don't feel they have to follow the city ordinances. These dogs never actually harmed us, but I did give a tongue lashing to the owners.

I have a fenced yard and having lived previously in CA, yes most people generally have fenced yards which I relished. I never leave my dogs to charge anyone.

Some people have the invisible fencing and or they have their dogs completely trained not to leave the outskirts of their yard. In this case they are doing nothing wrong legally, but I have to deal with walking by their homes and my dogs reacting to their dogs...and yes I am fearful of big dogs I don't know.

It's not a perfect world, but I would suggest you complain about these people who are allowing their dogs out of their yards!!! Do you have an HOA? In our city if you complained about a specific person that allowed their dog to charge, I think a police officer could make a visit and verbally warn them, and/or ticket.
Hey...long time, no talk to!

I guess the reason I don't want to call the police, etc. is because I just don't want to get into conflict with my neighbors. I posted this thread mainly to vent, and maybe to hear from others who feel like I do.

I talk the big talk, but I doubt I'll actually go out and buy pepper spray and start blinding a bunch of dogs It's just easier for me to gripe about it and then go walk on my treadmill.

I still feel that some of my neighbors are incredibly insensitive and selfish with regard to their dogs, and I know from hearing other stories that people can be vicious when it comes to protecting their mutts. I don't think I even want to go there.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:00 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
do know that a vet told me some dogs have issues with skin color, or different types of uniforms.
A vet told me one time that a dog who is owned by a white person, for the most part doesn't see many dark skinned people, just as a dark skinned persons dog doesn't see as many white people. I hope I'm wording this correctly.
I believe this is true. On a horse ride one day we encountered 3 bikers on the trail. We pulled over so they could pass. The first 2 were white, the last, black. When my horse saw him she just about dumped me. Go figure.

I am a dog lover, but sympathize. I used to have dogs run out and bark and nip at the horses until I learned how to dog bowl. Drop the horses head, spin and chase them back to the porch. Takes 2 times, tops.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
You know, there really is some truth to what you say. In San Diego (where I'm from), people just seem to be more socially conscious. It's a big city and houses are very close together. You have to learn to be accommodating and considerate or the problems would be endless.

Dog owners in San Diego keep their dogs in their fenced yards (usually the backyard). There are strict leash laws, and dogs that are running loose are picked up by Animal Control. I never had any problems with dogs in San Diego....

Well, then, this is the wrong venue for you to get any action to solve this problem. You need to:

1) Begin your campaign to get all dogs on leashes by writing letters to the editor of your local paper,

2) Call your town council member to express your concerns about the lack of leash laws in your town, or the enforcement of whatever laws are already on the books,

3) Attend city council meetings where you can get a spot on the agenda and voice your concerns about your safety.

4) Here's a strategy that has worked very well in Rolla on several occasions: Appeal to people's concern for children. Those barking pomeranians and other larger dogs pose a danger to the safety of children of your community. When writing letters to the editor, speaking on the local radio station, talking to neighbors or addressing the town council, point out that that an unleashed pit bull, rottweiler or doberman could charge a child and do serious damage, perhaps cripple the child for life or even, heaven forbid, kill the child. In whatever you write or say, include this line: "I know folks in town don't want additional regulation but IF IT SAVES THE LIFE OF JUST ONE CHILD, it will be worth it." The council will pass a strict leash law immediately if you lay that line on them. Guaranteed. It's worked here in Rolla lots of times on various issues. The key is to always say, "If it saves the life of just one child ..."

Let me know if that works.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post

Again...instead of using a pepper spray...why not look into overcoming your fear, and adopt a dog. Most dogs enjoy walks/runs and you'll have your own personal protection instead of harming the other dogs. As an owner...yes I'm being repetetive...if you sprayed my dog in the face I would be pretty ticked off. If the dog just steps on the sidewalk and you spray it that is not right. You will have no proof it was aggressive since you don't understand dog's behaviors and their motivations for approaching people. And...most dogs are associated with other people besides their owners and if they agree that the dog is well-tempered, or if the vet and groomer say the same...you could be in some trouble. The vet and groomer especially...they work with the dog a lot and if a dog is fine getting brushed, goomed and receiving shots/who knows what else, this is not a good case for you. Usually if they are not aggressive there, they aren't towards the random jogger. You have to be aware of temperments and signs of aggression before you make a decision like harming the animal and it sounds like you're making assumptions.

I'm just saying do your homework before you start pepper spraying these dogs. Some might be quite friendly...why not ask the owners what their names are so you can say "(Insert Dog's Name) NO, GO HOME" and usually that means go back to the house.
You've got to be kidding me. All the woman wants to do is go out for a jog without being charged by an aggressive animal, and yet you're suggesting that she take on all the expense and time or dog ownership. Personally, I don't think she's being unreasonable at all.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Well, then, this is the wrong venue for you to get any action to solve this problem. You need to:

1) Begin your campaign to get all dogs on leashes by writing letters to the editor of your local paper,

2) Call your town council member to express your concerns about the lack of leash laws in your town, or the enforcement of whatever laws are already on the books,

3) Attend city council meetings where you can get a spot on the agenda and voice your concerns about your safety.

4) Here's a strategy that has worked very well in Rolla on several occasions: Appeal to people's concern for children. Those barking pomeranians and other larger dogs pose a danger to the safety of children of your community. When writing letters to the editor, speaking on the local radio station, talking to neighbors or addressing the town council, point out that that an unleashed pit bull, rottweiler or doberman could charge a child and do serious damage, perhaps cripple the child for life or even, heaven forbid, kill the child. In whatever you write or say, include this line: "I know folks in town don't want additional regulation but IF IT SAVES THE LIFE OF JUST ONE CHILD, it will be worth it." The council will pass a strict leash law immediately if you lay that line on them. Guaranteed. It's worked here in Rolla lots of times on various issues. The key is to always say, "If it saves the life of just one child ..."

Let me know if that works.
First, before you do ANY of these things, do some research. Find out if there are already laws on the books. Find out how your neighbors who have lived there long before you do feel about it. For example, you said upthread that you were the loan holdout, that everyone else had given up running, and that made me wonder how you knew this. I've lived in several neighborhoods in cities and in small towns where running wasn't something anyone was interested in doing (and this in a city where streets are regularly closed for this run or that run), so the fact that no one's running can't necessarily be attributed to the dogs unless you've talked to a bunch of people (not one or two) who say that they used to run but don't any longer AND that it's because of the dogs. The dogs may be barking simply because they've never seen anyone running and it is odd enough behavior to them to be noteworthy and they're taking note.

As an earlier poster noted, there's no one less welcome than the newcomer who decides to make the place over into a copy of where they came from, whether the original inhabitants want it so or not, and proceeds to try to get ordinances passed to enforce their will on their new community. You'll want to tread very carefully to avoid doing this, or barking dogs will be the least of your problems.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As an earlier poster noted, there's no one less welcome than the newcomer who decides to make the place over into a copy of where they came from, whether the original inhabitants want it so or not, and proceeds to try to get ordinances passed to enforce their will on their new community. You'll want to tread very carefully to avoid doing this, or barking dogs will be the least of your problems.
Listen, former california girl, it's your community and you pay taxes for those streets, so you've got a right to use them whether you're a newcomer or not.

What good will it do to just vent here? You've got to get some action done to protect yourself and the children of the community.

Don't listen to these naysayers. If you see changes are needed, go ahead and speak out. These small-towners need to hear from someone who has lived in a metropolitan area, especially one in California where the trends for the rest of the country are set early.

What are you going to do? Sit back and let these small-town elitists run all over you just because you're from the city and are a newcomer? You have plenty of life experience to offer. They need to hear your ideas.

Don't let these small-town and rural elitists dissuade you from writing letters to the editor, getting on the local radio station if that's possible, attending town council meetings. And remember always to say, "If it saves the life of just one child ..."

Let us know how your leash-law campaign works out.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
ozarksboy, I've lived in Austin, I've lived in Dallas, even. I did live in small towns growing up. I actually live out in the country now, but work in both a smallish town and in Austin.

I have absolutely no problem with people moving into a new community, getting to know things, adding their own "flavor" to the community, once they've settled in and recognize the difference between adding a flavor and trying to turn risotto into meatloaf because meatloaf is what they're used to.

Fact is, the OP is likely to be more successful overall (not only in getting things changed, but in being accepted in her new home) if she doesn't use your recommended bulldozer approach.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:20 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,676 times
Back where I come from, when I lived there, you were allowed to kill a dog that you saw on the street. There was no law against it and people hardly ever made a big deal if it happened. You were also not protected against getting bitten by a dog either so, if you were bitten and didn't know the owner had given the dog its shots then you'd have to go to the hospital and get the ol' 21 shot salute on the belly.
Anyway, if there was a dog loose on the street that was bothering people, every once in a while they would get a special "snack" with poison on it and the dog would die in his sleep. Maybe you should take a late night stroll some night and drop off some "snacks" along the way that those adorable pooches could enjoy the following morning. You just need to feed it to enough dogs (say three or four) so that the other owners get paranoid and start putting their dogs in the back yard.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
ozarksboy, I've lived in Austin, I've lived in Dallas, even. I did live in small towns growing up. I actually live out in the country now, but work in both a smallish town and in Austin.

I have absolutely no problem with people moving into a new community, getting to know things, adding their own "flavor" to the community, once they've settled in and recognize the difference between adding a flavor and trying to turn risotto into meatloaf because meatloaf is what they're used to.

Fact is, the OP is likely to be more successful overall (not only in getting things changed, but in being accepted in her new home) if she doesn't use your recommended bulldozer approach.
OK, my mistake. I bow to your expertise. You have lived in large cities and still work in one. I am a small-towner, always been a small-towner, so I recognize that makes me a whole lot less sophisticated and knowledgeable than you about such matters. My opinions probably don't deserve respect because I've never lived anywhere except rural and small-town Missouri.

Nevertheless, your approach doesn't seem to have a goal of getting anything done. I dont' see how you're trying to get this poor FormerCaliforniaGirl back to her healthful practice of walking/running/jogging in fresh air.

I'm just pointing out what has worked in the past in this small town of around 15,000. I've never heard anyone disparage someone for being from another place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living