U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,801,737 times

Advertisements

I am so sick and tired of dogs!

I have finally stopped going for walks around my neighborhood because of the stupid dogs at every other house that come charging at me. Where are the bleepin' owners?

I live in a town where the houses don't have fenced yards. As you can tell from my name, I used to live in California. Everybody has fences there, so you can walk around your block in relative peace.

But HERE....no way. People let their dogs hang out on their front lawns, and then when I walk by...look out!

From small poodles to big labradors, 90% of the dogs see me coming and go mad. I'm only 5'6" tall, and I don't think I look at all scary. I try to ignore the dogs and stay as far away from their yard as possible, but I can't walk in the middle of the street!

Every once in awhile the owner will hear the ruckus and come out....and CALM THE DOG! Instead of apologizing to me, they coo their dog and tell them it will be okay. Huh?

I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest.

Now I just walk on a treadmill in my basement. Not very pleasant at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,305,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I am so sick and tired of dogs!

I have finally stopped going for walks around my neighborhood because of the stupid dogs at every other house that come charging at me. Where are the bleepin' owners?

I live in a town where the houses don't have fenced yards. As you can tell from my name, I used to live in California. Everybody has fences there, so you can walk around your block in relative peace.

But HERE....no way. People let their dogs hang out on their front lawns, and then when I walk by...look out!

From small poodles to big labradors, 90% of the dogs see me coming and go mad. I'm only 5'6" tall, and I don't think I look at all scary. I try to ignore the dogs and stay as far away from their yard as possible, but I can't walk in the middle of the street!

Every once in awhile the owner will hear the ruckus and come out....and CALM THE DOG! Instead of apologizing to me, they coo their dog and tell them it will be okay. Huh?

I wish dogs would be outlawed. Take them all to the woods and leave them there. Survival of the fittest.

Now I just walk on a treadmill in my basement. Not very pleasant at all.

I feel for you and your situation.. I'm a dog lover and I TOTALLY agree with what you said except for the outlaw part.

I know you are mad at dogs but it's the owners fault that the dogs behave in the way that you have described.

Today, people are LAZY and STUPID therefore the dog basically takes on the characteristics of the owners.

As a responsible dog owner I sincerely apologize on behalf the 90% of the idiot dog owners.

BTW, this should give you an idea as to why children today are so troublesome; some parents raise there children just a little better then there family pet.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 PM

398 posts, read 727,247 times
Try carrying a couple of large rocks and when the dog charges, throw them at the dog! Have found this discourages the dog and am not concerned about what the owners might think or have to say.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:37 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,074,974 times
Or carry pepper spray.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,044,973 times
Where do you live? Are there not leash laws? Around here you are required to contain a dog by leash or by fence.

You might try finding out what the laws are and ask an animal control officer what he suggests doing in your situation.

Of course, you'll become known as a "that lady who hates dogs" in your neighborhood, but ....

If there are dogs that actually come at you in a threatening way, you might try talking to the owners. "You know, I am really feeling threatened by your dog. I am carrying repellent spray and if he charges me again, I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to use it. I'd really appreciate it if he were better contained."

Then you'll only become known as "that lady who's afraid of dogs."

Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM

I'm not sure if there are leash laws in this town or not. But since the dogs are on their own property, I'm assuming the owner's aren't breaking any laws.

I've considered carrying a baseball bat, or even pepper spray (or both), but I don't want to get sued if I injure a dog (it would be the owner's word against mine). Plus, I'm not sure I could actually hit a dog with a baseball bat (I'm kind of a wimp).

On one occasion, a black labrador (I thought they were supposed to be friendly dogs?), came charging toward me. It was the most threatened I've ever felt by a dog, so I screamed and (instinctively) started to run. The owner heard my scream and the dogs barking and came running out and called the dog. I stopped and looked back, and I made eye contact with the owner. No apology. Nothing. She just patted her dog on the head and took it into the house. Huh??

I almost think that these dog owners like the fact that their dogs are scaring people....makes them feel safe. But the neighborhood I live in is very nice, and there aren't bad people here (no gangs, drugs, etc.). It's just a nice family neighborhood.

I just don't get it.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
My dogs do not leave my property. If these dogs are on their land I do not see the problem.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My dogs do not leave my property. If these dogs are on their land I do not see the problem.
The problem is that when they see me coming, they DO leave their property. The come charging at me.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 PM

410 posts, read 981,099 times
I've encountered the same problem in a small town. This town has a law against dogs running loose but it is not followed by everyone. This town also has a "dogcatcher" but his services are sporadic at best. However, if there is a real problem, I would call the sheriff or police. This usually took care of the problem for me. If there are no leash laws, you could consider walking at the high school track (you'll meet people there) or at the cemetery (if you want peace and quiet).

Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM

20,487 posts, read 38,404,041 times
If you moved from the big city to a rural small town, chances are there are no leash laws And if the dogs bark but remain on their own property (even if they rush at you), then there would likely be no violation even in places where there are leash laws. You can carry pepper spray with you, or you can carry a spray bottle that contains dog repellent in it (same basic thing), and the dogs will learn to keep their distance.

However, it seems to me that a large part of your issue is that you're not getting apologies for the dog's behavior, and that perhaps the owners WANT the dogs to appear menacing to people who they don't know (it may not be people in the neighborhood that they are concerned about, but people coming in from outside the neighborhood that might not be so nice) and that, I can't help you with.

I do wonder at the fact that 90% of the dogs that you pass charge you. That seems excessive and I'm wondering what it is that's inspiring this reaction. Not to say that you're inviting it or that you are to blame in any way, but wondering what it is that's causing such a huge percentage of dogs to react to you in this fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living