U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,349 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Florida within the next six months. My husband's job is relocating him and we are not famaliar at all with Florida. We have had several people talk about different places to live. His job is going to be located near Lake Okachobee(?) and we are looking at either Stuart or Moore Haven. We are from a small town in Texas about 1 1/2 hours from Dallas. We are looking for a rural town. We are not city people we would like to be in the country with acreage and we would also like to bring our animals. We have a very small school which consist of about 1000-1200 students K-12. My daughter is in the 7th grade will be 8th grade by the time we get there. Would also like to know what sports are available and what the schools are like and which would be best. She is an A-B student but needs a little extra help. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by 100%TEXAN; 02-16-2009 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: misspelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 PM

3,807 posts, read 3,190,717 times
Aww, I'm sorry no one helped you on this question. Maybe if you posted it in the Florida Forum you'd get help. I can't help you further. Sorry.
Good luck in finding what you need.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 PM

602 posts, read 1,792,041 times
My family used to vacation not far from there in Lake Placid, which is a nice little town.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,028,828 times
Lake Placid is a nice small area. But i dont know if you can get any real "small town" life in FL. I live in south florida which is almost its own state, LOL. My opinion may be jaded, but reality is, Florida doesnt provide that good holesome small town feel. Anything is within 30 min driving distance MAX. Animals shouldnt be a problem in that area. I cant pin point where to direct you, but just know the schools will be MUCH larger, probably 1000 per grade, keeping in mind there are 4-5 schools in each city. Good luck with your move. Sorry i couldnt be of happier info.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 14,759 times
I live outside of a small town in North Florida called Ft.White. Has elementary and high school. 20 miles to a bigger city with shopping. Much woods, between 3 rivers. Lost of fishing, tubing. Housing less expensive in Columbia, Gilchrist and Sawannee counties. Hope that helps some.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
Default Try Central Florida?

I currently live in Central Florida, in Polk county, its not real small, but there are areas that have acreage, farms/ranches, polk city is a good place that you would be intersted in.. dont know how long of a commute to Lake Okachobee.. but look into Polk county florida

Old 09-06-2009, 09:48 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,781,587 times
Much of the Lake Okeechobee region has a rural feel, especially west of the lake. Moore Haven is a small quiet town, but Clewiston is somewhat bigger with more conveniences, although by no means a large town. In either case, you would need to drive to Ft. Myers or W. Palm beach for major shopping outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living