U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:57 AM

277 posts, read 831,544 times

Advertisements

This is one of the most stupidest things I have ever read and heard of. Just goes to show you about them stupid city people that only think that the food comes from a grocery store. Anyone with a real brain knows that it starts from a smelly farm, and then goes to a smelly processing facility before it gets to the store shelf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 AM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The way to minimize conflict between those that move into rural areas is to require them to do their due diligence before moving there, or to realize that THEY are the newcomers and if they don't like the way it is, they should move back to the city. This kind of thing drives me nuts.
1. An analogy in the city: Our downtown area is trying to revitalize (waste of time and money) so some developers bought an old warehouse and remodeled it into some very nice condos. Al these "forward thinking" (love that terminology BTW) people moved in.

Then they figured out there were railroad tracks 50 feet from the building and the trains had to sound their horn at each cross street. LMAO!!! Morons started complaining to the city, state, anybody that would listen.

What did they think those funny steel things they had to drive over to get home were. I wonder? Lord people are stupid sometimes. 50 condos sold and moved into and not a one realized that trains made noise.

2. The flip side of farm smell: We have a lot of pig lots here. The problem they've run into lately is building new ones close to already developed areas. Tempers do flare at times!

We also seem to have an inordinate number of spills from manure containment areas into streams and this kills off a lot of fish. That one bothers me. Partially because of the fish kills, and partially because someone in government (that is paid handsomely to do so) is not inspecting these correctly and the owners aren't either.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 AM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
Here, where I am, some developments, including a very high dollar condo, went up near the fire house (volunteer). Immediately the complaints started about the alert siren. Upshot-siren is gone, now the complaints are about the vehicles noises.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 AM

34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
OP, does your state/locality have a "Right to Farm" law? If not, there needs to be one put in place yesterday.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:20 AM

665 posts, read 1,759,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
psh. At my parents house, the 'suburbs' kept creeping closer and closer until we started getting constant complaints about our livestock. We even had animal control called on us because one of our horses was 'too dirty'. Yes, he rolled in the mud... it was December, I'm NOT going to give him a bath. They also complained about our goats, considering I had 2 bucks I can understand that, but YOU moved here, we've been here for years! Another neighbor complained that we were 'making too much noise' too early in the morning. Lady, you and your family moved next door to a small scale dairy where we start milking at 4:30 am year round. Get used to it.
I have just one question,Why oh, why, if you don't like "farm" odors and noise that comes from running a farm would anyone MOVE there.I moved from N.J to a small town in T.N. my neighbors think I am crazy, maybe I am, but I like to ride past the cows and farms, I call it smelling nature, If I didn't want to hear or smell the farms,I wouldn't move near them! To me , farmers are HARD workers!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,044,973 times
I grew up in a town surrounded by cattle ranches. A shift of the wind on a Summer day could carry quite a smell!

But that was the livelihood of a significant portion of the community!

If someone asked, "What's that smell???!"

The answer was, "That's MONEY!"

Old 02-20-2009, 02:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
------" why would anyone move there"----

Many times people --"moved there"-- ( nearby )when the farm had 30 sows ( no problem)

The farm then expands to thousands of sows which means the smell is now magnified by a huge amount and the odor carries many miles farther.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 PM

665 posts, read 1,759,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I grew up in a town surrounded by cattle ranches. A shift of the wind on a Summer day could carry quite a smell!

But that was the livelihood of a significant portion of the community!

If someone asked, "What's that smell???!"

The answer was, "That's MONEY!"
LOL, I have heard that said too!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,255,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The law (Pennsylvania-specific) seems to be meant to apply to large feed lots looking to add production.
This particular law does not seem aimed at typical farms and ranches. It targets those big confined lots where computers operate machinery that dumps in the feed and also sends a gush of water through daily to clean the confinement area. We've got these operations in northern Missouri and I'm told they stink for miles. Such a law probably is needed.

The problem is this: Hog farms, no matter what size, have an odor. We don't have much hog production left in Missouri, aside from confinement agriculture, but I worry that if such laws become widespread, they'll be used to hammer at all farms and ranches, no matter what size, as Missouri continues to host more city folks who are unaware that animal production has an odor.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:41 AM

2,905 posts, read 6,640,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
I have just one question,Why oh, why, if you don't like "farm" odors and noise that comes from running a farm would anyone MOVE there.I moved from N.J to a small town in T.N. my neighbors think I am crazy, maybe I am, but I like to ride past the cows and farms, I call it smelling nature, If I didn't want to hear or smell the farms,I wouldn't move near them! To me , farmers are HARD workers!
Yes it is hard to imagine how someone would buy a home close enough to a farm that they could actually smell the farm without REALIZING this ahead of time.

If that is the case, though, they have nothing to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Many times people --"moved there"-- ( nearby )when the farm had 30 sows ( no problem)

The farm then expands to thousands of sows which means the smell is now magnified by a huge amount and the odor carries many miles farther.
Now the people in this situation have a legitimate beef. If you do your due diligence, and find that you can deal with what you have moved next to, but then they multiply production by 10 times, well then I can see where these people have a valid complaint.

I can see both sides.

But really, regulations such as this will end up costing farmers more money and this scares me. I don't want farmers to lose their ability to produce food for us. I mean really, with everything that is being outsourced, our food production is not one that I'd like to see go abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living