U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2009, 05:52 PM

4,179 posts, read 5,761,067 times

Advertisements

Well, I have to say that I love the smell of a dirty ol' horse, and walking past the feed lot in the nearest town smells so sweet and "fresh" to me, too!

But in Orangeburg, SC, they invited in the big 'chicken farmers' - 3-5000 chickens stuffed wing to wing in quonset huts for acres. The runoff is contaminating the groundwater of the county, and the smell of all of that chicken poop, as well as the dead chickens, is putrifying. The county thought it would help their tax base - and what it has done is destroy the country living and the small farmers thereabouts, by contaminating their drinking water and overrunning their landfills with acres of putrid poop.

Instead of outlawing the smell, they ought to outlaw the politicians who were so eager to grab at a penny that they are costing the taxpayers serious dollars for cleanup; and outlaw the irresponsible operations of the conglomerates that moved there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 PM

11,101 posts, read 8,194,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Well, I have to say that I love the smell of a dirty ol' horse, and walking past the feed lot in the nearest town smells so sweet and "fresh" to me, too!

But in Orangeburg, SC, they invited in the big 'chicken farmers' - 3-5000 chickens stuffed wing to wing in quonset huts for acres. The runoff is contaminating the groundwater of the county, and the smell of all of that chicken poop, as well as the dead chickens, is putrifying. The county thought it would help their tax base - and what it has done is destroy the country living and the small farmers thereabouts, by contaminating their drinking water and overrunning their landfills with acres of putrid poop.

Instead of outlawing the smell, they ought to outlaw the politicians who were so eager to grab at a penny that they are costing the taxpayers serious dollars for cleanup; and outlaw the irresponsible operations of the conglomerates that moved there.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM

16,623 posts, read 14,376,956 times
Quote:

Yup! I grew up near Orangeburg.

And when the North Carolina hog farmers started getting slight resistance from the NC state legislature, they started to open up shop in South Carolina. The SC state legislature, if I remember correctly, signed some sort of document stating that hog farms weren't welcome in the state.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM

13,387 posts, read 10,020,844 times
What a crock of sh@t!!!!! There is such thing as "City Limits" or "County Line".........

Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,166,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
What a crock of sh@t!!!!! There is such thing as "City Limits" or "County Line".........
Unfortunately, not any more. The line is getting so blurred and that is why laws such as The Right To Farm Laws have been passed. As long as it is a BMP set forth by the USDA, you can do it. For us dairy farmers it is spreading liquid cow manure. It does smell pretty bad, but as I have said on here a half dozen times, that liquid dairy cow manure is organic matter gold!

It was funny though. Over on a sheep forum I got blasted for having only a few sheep and yet I did a CNMP on them. My acreage to sheep ratio is pretty wide, but I wanted the legal rights under the right to farm act and needed a CNMP to do it. Anyway after I got it done, the first thing the FSA/NRCS asked me was whether or not I got a CNMP for my sheep. I did which allowed me to be a bit higher on the list for help.

CNMP=Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan which is another way of saying, how much manuer can your land absorb before run off begins

FSA=Farm Service Agency
NRCS=National Resourse Conservation Service

Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 PM

In Ca, land parcels need to be "zoned" for specific things. Zoned for business, residential use, ECT.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:

The "Cow Gas Tax" is just being announced(tonite) here in Oklahoma

Old 04-03-2009, 10:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,249,564 times
Default Well in Vermont they were thinking about taxing cow farts

Yep. Earlier this year the Vermont Legislature was considering a bill to tax the methane gas (farts) released by cows because it contributes to global warming. There was an outcry and I think the bill died.

The environmentalists have been up in arms for years about pollution caused by cow waste. And some subdivisions have sued nearby egg farmers because of the alleged chicken odor. Hog farmers have it even worse.

I chose to build my home up the road from a farm. On some summer nights when the farmer stirs his manure we smell it as we're sitting on our front porch. I won't complain because it was there before we were. It's part of the package just like the pretty views.

People who don't want to smell farms shouldn't move near them.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Yep. Earlier this year the Vermont Legislature was considering a bill to tax the methane gas (farts) released by cows because it contributes to global warming. There was an outcry and I think the bill died.

The environmentalists have been up in arms for years about pollution caused by cow waste. And some subdivisions have sued nearby egg farmers because of the alleged chicken odor. Hog farmers have it even worse.

I chose to build my home up the road from a farm. On some summer nights when the farmer stirs his manure we smell it as we're sitting on our front porch. I won't complain because it was there before we were. It's part of the package just like the pretty views.

People who don't want to smell farms shouldn't move near them.
I agree........Is there a committee to help the farmers? I'd like to join.
I use to be with the Grange, but I can't seem to find one near me here in OK.

The National Grange

Old 04-04-2009, 02:21 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,166,817 times
The problem is (at least where I live) that it is not just living next to a farm that is a problem. Since our dairy cow manure is our fertilizer, we have to truck that manure to the fields. With our farthest field being 35 miles away...there is no zoning that can prevent that. In a few weeks it will be "poop truck season" as my daughter calls it and the parade of trucks from the farm to the fields here will go on. That is the price we pay for fertile and highly organic soil unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living