Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,946,688 times

Advertisements

silliness..

Quote:
The new rules are especially im portant with increasing sprawl in farm communities, Agriculture Secretary Dennis Wolff said.

"These new regulations are geared to help minimize conflict be tween those not accustomed to farm odors and the agricultural producers working to meet our increasing world food needs," Wolff said in a news release.

Farms must control odor - Evening Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,537,716 times
psh. At my parents house, the 'suburbs' kept creeping closer and closer until we started getting constant complaints about our livestock. We even had animal control called on us because one of our horses was 'too dirty'. Yes, he rolled in the mud... it was December, I'm NOT going to give him a bath. They also complained about our goats, considering I had 2 bucks I can understand that, but YOU moved here, we've been here for years! Another neighbor complained that we were 'making too much noise' too early in the morning. Lady, you and your family moved next door to a small scale dairy where we start milking at 4:30 am year round. Get used to it.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:10 PM

357 posts, read 1,015,319 times
what are try to do, make farming in US so costly to the point that it is cheaper to buy agriculture products from other country even with all expense of transportation.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,185,524 times
The way to minimize conflict between those that move into rural areas is to require them to do their due diligence before moving there, or to realize that THEY are the newcomers and if they don't like the way it is, they should move back to the city. This kind of thing drives me nuts.

A couple of links that are pertinent:

Practical Tips for Living In a Country Community

Ottawa County Right to Farm Brochure with Scratch And Sniff Manure Odor (http://www.co.ottawa.mi.us/CoGov/Depts/Planning/pdf/AgDisclaimer.pdf - broken link)

Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,738,436 times
The law (Pennsylvania-specific) seems to be meant to apply to large feed lots looking to add production.

from the article:
Quote:
The rules will force farms known as CAFOs, or concentrated animal feeding operations, to get state approval for an odor-management plan for a new or expanded barn or manure-storage facility. The regulations will not affect existing farm buildings.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The way to minimize conflict between those that move into rural areas is to require them to do their due diligence before moving there, or to realize that THEY are the newcomers and if they don't like the way it is, they should move back to the city. This kind of thing drives me nuts.

A couple of links that are pertinent:

Practical Tips for Living In a Country Community

Ottawa County Right to Farm Brochure with Scratch And Sniff Manure Odor (http://www.co.ottawa.mi.us/CoGov/Depts/Planning/pdf/AgDisclaimer.pdf - broken link)
Somehow I don't think that would go over very well with a subdivison builder..they tend not to tell everything to potential buyers.
Who would require them to read it ? No offense, but it just won't happen.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,185,524 times
Well, the Ottawa County brochure seems to have worked, according to various articles, of which this is just one.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:22 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,506,411 times
Hasn't anyone ever heard of the Right to Farm Laws? This was the very reason it was drafted,though it has played very well for us in other areas as well, like GM corn seed.

A few towns from us they passed a town ordinance stating that GM seed could not be cultivated in their town. This is a violation of my Right To Farm Rights, so we shrug it off, fill the planter up with seed and head out across the field.

For what it is worth, obtaining a CNMP will keep you immune from foolishness like this as well. I hate regulation as much as the next guy, but sometimes complying gets you out of trouble as well.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:23 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,851,967 times
Default New Law: Farms Can No Longer Smell Like Farms

How silly is this?? Does this mean that all farmers now have to run around with huge "poop" bags and clean up after the cows? MY GOODNESS...we have 4 huge draft horses boarding at the farm down the street from us. I will have to keep an eye out to see if anyone down there is running amuck with huge horse "poop" bags cleaning up after them; you know how these laws catch on country wide. This could happen here in Connecticut too!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,142,424 times
Maybe the farmers will have to spray the feed with Pinesol.
Then when the animals poop the neighbors will think they **** a christmas tree.

Some people need to get a life. We have to eat and have dairy products. If they don't like the smell of food on the hoof let them live on bread and water or just strictly vitamin pills and soon the complainers will be gone to that big veggy garden in the sky. But then they will probably complain about the smell of the soil that made the veggies grow.

Food doesn't originate in a box on a store shelf.
It starts with natural producers. Intelligent people realize that fact. There must be some people in government and in some communities that are too dumb to know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living