U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: All fenced in?
I'm free range, no fence for me. 9 40.91%
I have invisible fencing. 1 4.55%
I have decorative fencing, useless for containment, but it looks real nice! 2 9.09%
My front yard is completely fenced in and secure. 6 27.27%
This is a silly poll. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM

323 posts, read 744,005 times

Advertisements

I have a dog and a garden. So it keeps the right critter in and the wrong ones out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 AM

653 posts, read 1,723,570 times
When you live in rural area it would be very expensive to do all fenced in. we only fenced the garden to keep animals out.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,679,656 times
In some rural areas there are fencing laws that state you are responsible for half of the property line fence with the land owner next to you whether you have cattle or not.

The law usually specifies the distance between posts, # of wire strands, and type of wire.

That law recently got enforced about 5 miles from me when one neighbor wanted a new fence ( he had cattle ) and the other neighbor did not want it ( he had no cattle )

Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 PM

17,088 posts, read 22,602,664 times
I'd only put fencing where needed, such as around gardens, to contain livestock, etc. Fencing isn't cheap, I see no reason to waste it, and I'd prefer the wildlife is able to freely roam except where I don't want animals (gardens).

Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,675,130 times
In my subdivision, there are no front fences, but all the backyards have fences. When I moved in, no one had fences up. The backyard area behind the houses really looked big and open. I liked it that way. But as more and more of the lots were built on, people started putting up fences, either for privacy or to keep their dogs and kids contained.

When I move in the next couple of years to a rural area, I'll have acreage and not have to worry about a fence 20 feet from my house.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,214,168 times
Fencing front yards is fairly common in urban areas and older suburban areas. New developments rarely have fenced front yards, often because the homeowner association forbids it.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 AM

20,480 posts, read 38,390,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Fencing front yards is fairly common in urban areas and older suburban areas. New developments rarely have fenced front yards, often because the homeowner association forbids it.
I'm assuming this is in your area, because here it's not common for the urban and older suburban areas to have fenced in front yards. Where are you talking about?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,214,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm assuming this is in your area, because here it's not common for the urban and older suburban areas to have fenced in front yards. Where are you talking about?
Northeast- NYC, Philadelphia, DC areas

Maybe I shouldn't have said "common"- It's definitely not a majority, but I do see fenced in front yards on a regular basis.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,352,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Here (well, not "here" where I live exactly, here where I live out in the country folks have barbed wire and goat fencing, but in the towns and cities), front yards are rarely fenced in. Back yards, often are in subdivisions.
Same here.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM

253 posts, read 718,413 times
Default fencing

i recall the good old days when everyone wanted a house and white picket fence and 2.5 kids, oh yea, and a dog....lol
seems subdivisions have mostly fenced back yards, ive lived all over, and dont mind fencing. i grew up on a farm, there is a need for it, ive lived in city and see a need for it, mainly in back fro privacy, keep kids safe and dogs contained. living on base housing for many a year, you almost wish for front fencing as well as back, houses tended to be so close(5-6 hooked together in a row) and you had everyone elses stuff and kids in your yard in looking in your windows all the time, it sucked, my flowerbeds took a beating and i was always opening my door to someones kid or dog on my step.
i dont like chain link in front yard, looks tacky, but nice split rail or picket, be it metal or wood is nice, privacy in back good, no one likes to be stared at all the time.
i say each their own, i dont really see why someone would be mad if their neighbor put a fence up, its their place, their right, just be sure its not so high i cant say hi and offer ya a tall cool glass of sweet tea some day and ask how ya been.....lol afterall, we are all still neighbors, and without good neighbors, crime invades and takes over our streets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living