U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:06 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,635,099 times

Advertisements

What you may want to do is plant some fast growing, but weak trees along with some slow growing stronger trees. This way you can get some quick sound barrier. Eventually the slower growing trees will take over when the weak ones die off.

And it could turn out that living near a saw mill is like living near a RR track. After a while you don't notice the noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:11 AM

2,503 posts, read 5,627,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What you may want to do is plant some fast growing, but weak trees along with some slow growing stronger trees. This way you can get some quick sound barrier. Eventually the slower growing trees will take over when the weak ones die off.

And it could turn out that living near a saw mill is like living near a RR track. After a while you don't notice the noise.

That's a great idea...and hopefully we will get used to it. Thanks for the positive spin.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,255,392 times
Tambre, visit the sawmill operator. Become his friend if you aren't already. Figure out what you have to barter for milled lumber. You can save a bundle when you build sheds, etc.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Tambre, visit the sawmill operator. Become his friend if you aren't already. Figure out what you have to barter for milled lumber. You can save a bundle when you build sheds, etc.
Thanks OB, sort of a "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" way of looking at it. Another nice, positive spin, and much appreciated.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 PM

15,475 posts, read 32,215,610 times
I live one mile from a sawmill, but it's a big one, they make everything from 1x4's to telephone poles. I never hear sawing sounds, but I do hear the sound of clanking boards all day (conveyor belt maybe?), and of coarse the lunch time whistle. I never used to hear it before hurricane Ivan in '04, but since then they have logged woods between us and now I can hear it.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:04 AM

21,104 posts, read 36,600,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Thanks Misplaced...maybe some nice evergreens. I've always liked White Pines, used to climb them as a kid, but not sure what grows well in the Ozarks as far as evergreens go.
I would suggest Hemlock, White Spruce, Red Pine, or White Pine. They would act like a shelter belt if planted in rows, and would also help with heating costs during the winter because they buffer some of the wind.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live one mile from a sawmill, but it's a big one, they make everything from 1x4's to telephone poles. I never hear sawing sounds, but I do hear the sound of clanking boards all day (conveyor belt maybe?), and of coarse the lunch time whistle. I never used to hear it before hurricane Ivan in '04, but since then they have logged woods between us and now I can hear it.
Thanks Southernnaturelover,

It's good to hear first hand that a barrier of trees does make a difference. That's kinda cool hearing the noon whistle.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would suggest Hemlock, White Spruce, Red Pine, or White Pine. They would act like a shelter belt if planted in rows, and would also help with heating costs during the winter because they buffer some of the wind.

Hey GraniteStater,

Thanks for the suggestions about varieties of evergreens. Does anyone know if Hemlocks in Missouri are suffering from that woolly ..... problem? Here in NY they are dying due to this blight. I'm going to look online to see what these varieties look like, how fast they grow, and what they require as far as water, soil needs.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,635,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hey GraniteStater,

Thanks for the suggestions about varieties of evergreens. Does anyone know if Hemlocks in Missouri are suffering from that woolly ..... problem? Here in NY they are dying due to this blight. I'm going to look online to see what these varieties look like, how fast they grow, and what they require as far as water, soil needs.
Tambre..you may want to contact a local nursery in the nearest town and explain your situation and see what suggestions they have to offer. The local folks know the dirt and what grows well.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Tambre..you may want to contact a local nursery in the nearest town and explain your situation and see what suggestions they have to offer. The local folks know the dirt and what grows well.
This is a great suggestion... Why reinvent the wheel, lol. A local nursery also might have a suggestion of a contractor to plant them. Does anyone know if cattle eat evergreen trees? Do they need to be fenced off from the pasture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living