U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM

2,503 posts, read 5,626,586 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Has anyone lived near a sawmill, and if so, how bearable/unbearable is the noise level? There is a sawmill that just started up near the west end of our property. I don't know all the specifics...just that the motor has 8 cylinders, and they wanted 3 phase electric, but not sure if they got it. It's got a circular saw and the machinery is housed in a metal building. There is just an open field between our house and the sawmill. It is about 1/3 of a mile away.
Who buys lumber from a small scale sawmill? We'll be travelling out to the farm in Missouri in April to hear for ourselves. Just was wondering if any of you have had any experience with living near one, and what your thoughts were? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:38 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,879,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi everyone,

Has anyone lived near a sawmill, and if so, how bearable/unbearable is the noise level? There is a sawmill that just started up near the west end of our property. I don't know all the specifics...just that the motor has 8 cylinders, and they wanted 3 phase electric, but not sure if they got it. It's got a circular saw and the machinery is housed in a metal building. There is just an open field between our house and the sawmill. It is about 1/3 of a mile away.
Who buys lumber from a small scale sawmill? We'll be travelling out to the farm in Missouri in April to hear for ourselves. Just was wondering if any of you have had any experience with living near one, and what your thoughts were? Thanks.
Yes. When I had horses I hauled saw dust from a small mill. It is a hight pitched screeching noise. I would not like that at all. You could plant a line of tress and wait for them to grow. Most saw mills around here make pallets and custom cut lumber.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 7,661,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi everyone,

In that part of the state, the lumber is primarily used for shipping pallets. Its not noisy, but it will be heard. Sound travels far in the country.

And before anyone (you know who you are)makes ridiculous accusations toward the O.P., she never said it shouldn't be there or wanted to get it closed down, etc. She's just asking. That's all.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,255,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
And before anyone (you know who you are)makes ridiculous accusations toward the O.P., she never said it shouldn't be there or wanted to get it closed down, etc. She's just asking. That's all.
I'm staying quiet for now.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes. When I had horses I hauled saw dust from a small mill. It is a hight pitched screeching noise. I would not like that at all. You could plant a line of tress and wait for them to grow. Most saw mills around here make pallets and custom cut lumber.

Thanks Driller...do you think a polebarn placed near the sawmill would help block the noise?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
In that part of the state, the lumber is primarily used for shipping pallets. Its not noisy, but it will be heard. Sound travels far in the country.

Thanks MoNative Nice to have a friend watching my back.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I'm staying quiet for now.
OB...you are being the poster boy for self-restraint.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Default Sawmill in the background

To give a visual...here's a picture of the garage/apt. we built, and if you look in the right distant background you can see the sawmill buildings. It's pretty far away, but there's nothing between the buildings to block the noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Sawmill Noise Levels-mo-house-040-small-.jpg  

Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,353,239 times
Small portable scrag mills and the like aren't really to bad at all and you'll get way more noise from the skidders,loaders and the big trucks than you will the mill....larger(small) mills can be HORRIBLE....

I lived on the Idaho side of the Pend Oreille river and right across the river in Newport,Wa there was a huge mill that operated 24/7.The noise was very tolerable if you were in the house,yard or barn,but the farther down in the pasture you went,the worse it got...it never really was bad enough to be an aggravation tho' and the fact that all of it was in buildings helped that out tremendously.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,470,159 times
I love working with wood so I'm sure it would not bother me.. I'd probably be over there watching them cut it all day long. They might even give me the shorts to get rid of me...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living