U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM

374 posts, read 1,009,943 times

Advertisements

Thanks Marmac. Minnesota was our most hopeful option, but have had terrible luck finding any job openings. My brother is there, so we may just go for a bit and look in person. We like the way the area looks, the housing prices are right up our alley, we like the outdoor recreation opportunities/hunting/etc. All we need now is a job! Thanks for the encouragement, and we will keep looking!

To answer the question about family and flying, we are currently in Alaska and our family is not, so we always have to fly. Our family is all in the Midwest, and it is totally reasonable that we could drive to visit all of them if we lived somewhere in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 11,492 times
W PA could be a match since it describes what you want including hunting (remember the movie The Deer Hunter?) and it's a plus that the housing is relatively cheap. There are nursing jobs because of the unusually elderly population in the state. Minuses are, the weather is not the best and neither is the general job situation usually. Also, if you don't like football a LOT, you might have a problem there. Seriously.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:04 PM

374 posts, read 1,009,943 times
Haha, I think not liking sports in general might get us in trouble in any of the states I mentioned!! But we can keep quiet about that! Thanks for the tip on Western PA. I have just started looking at land/houses. Let me know if you have any recommendations on sites to search. My trouble has been that many of the MLS sites don't allow searches that specify minimum land amount with residential. Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,372,356 times
There shouls be a fair amount of snow any where in america near the Cancadian border. I suspect the midwest land is probably a little cheaper the farther north you move. AFter living in Alaska you won't have a bit of trouble with winter. And of course, land prices are down now, too.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,536,988 times
Well, we moved to NE - Cornhusker Heaven - from SC, home of the USC Gamecocks and..um...er.. Clemson Tigers. We are Tiger fans. So when it turned out that NE was playing Clemson in the Gator Bowl, we got a phone call from our local banker. "You DO... realize... that we are SERIOUS about football here. We simply can't allow a Clemson flag to be displayed in our town." Of course we put our big banner in the road-facing window... And took a lot of goodnatured ribbing when Clemson lost. They ARE serious but they are not mean - just have a lot of TIC humor. TG all of the folks we know are grownups!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:36 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,074,974 times
Yes, I was going to say Minnesota too. Loads of available land and trees, especially the further north you go. I think nurses are in demand everywhere. Go realtor.com.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 AM

365 posts, read 1,139,492 times
MeganAK: I heard on CNN a couple of nights ago that Fargo, ND, has one of the best economies in the US right now. Here's a link:

Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - What recession? « - Blogs from CNN.com

Best of luck. Sounds like you're making the right decision.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 PM

350 posts, read 1,022,811 times
Have you checked out Idaho?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM

7,940 posts, read 16,465,238 times
When I hear hunting and snowmoblies, I think Upper Peninsula of Michigan if you can make the job situation work. (which is an issue in Yooperland) Draw a 15-20 mile radius around Houghton, Marquette, Sault Ste. Marie, and Escanaba and see what little towns are close to there.

With the Michigan economy as it is right now, you might be able to find a good deal buying out someone's hunting camp.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:09 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,734 times
Hi Megan - just wanted to add that you really need to look into the tax situations in many of the states you're interested in. Not just property tax, but also state income taxes and business taxes & fees (if your husband wants to have his own machine shop). We investigated some of the Northern Midwestern states as well and found the tax situation and regulatory BS was just a bit extreme... or there was no water or trees on the properties (or you were restricted from using what there was).

Here are some sites that I found useful in our searches:

Compare Two Cities, City Profile Report, City Comparison Tool
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data (mostly for the slow tax drain and lower cost of living stuff)

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living