U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 PM

374 posts, read 1,009,943 times

Advertisements

Thanks MissingAllFOur! That is one of our concerns with the Minnesota/Wisconsin area, but at the same time, they seem like the best match in other ways. I don't know. So much to think about. What it will probably come down to is where I can get a job and where we can afford housing. It may not end up being what we wanted exactly, but we are getting to the point where we just want something, somewhere besides here!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,734 times
Hehe - maybe you'll get fed up with your family in a few years and move back to AK before the taxes get you But seriously, doing the math on taxes vs. regular cost of living, it might turn out to be a wash either way; and in that case getting a place near the folks that you can find work and affordable housing is probably the best way to go... just hold off on buying a house for a while to see how things go. I'd hate to have you get stuck somewhere with a mortgage if it doesn't end up suiting you!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM

50 posts, read 144,182 times
Default Check this out

Please check out Sandpoint Idaho!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Being a former hunter I'd lok at Wyoming ;idaho and montana. Many of the northern states have really limited hunting with alot of hunters in any given area. It also seems a better fit to someone who likes Alaska. My family is from pennsylvannia and hunters are really all over the place compared to if you are use to alot of open land.I'd also think that good property is less expensive than the northeast part of the country.The game is also of a much larger variety than many states. Colorado is ideal but too expensive now days. Good luck and good hunting.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 AM

374 posts, read 1,009,943 times
Thanks for the tips! We actually would really love Idaho, it is beautiful- but doesn't seem affordable for land. Maybe we aren't looking in the right places? Also Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas seem great. I spent much time in those places as a kid. Thanks for all the input. We aren't any closer to a decision, but we are narrowing it down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living