Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,251 times

Advertisements

Hey, y'all! The newbie on the block wonders how to locate a remote area in which to live a very basic life. You know, like that island in Hawaii where only native Hawaiians can live, and they live without the hype and modernization. I've lived like that, and want to go back to it. But not being a millionare, I can't buy and island, or even buy a piece of one off, say the west coast of Canada! A remote caretaker job would do the trick too, but how to find that job? I've tried Caretaker magazine (for a year),watching the BC ads, Googling for other ads. Any ideas of where I could go? Short of Antartica or Tristan da Cunha.....which would be okay, maybe, but I hear it's a pretty hot and hungry island. Suggestions are welcome, and don't tell me you can "tell me where to go", har har.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 02:44 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,078,211 times
I got the impression that there's a whole lot of "remote" in B.C. .... where you can live a basic life, isolated from development (and services, like medical, shopping, etc.) ... for not a lot of money.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 AM

18,338 posts, read 26,443,633 times
The Yukon, NWT, BC...all good areas of Canada for that sort of thing...in the U.S., Alaska would be a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living