U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 AM

917 posts, read 2,108,160 times

Advertisements

The small town I live in has about 900 people. There are 5 restaurant/bars, a coffee house,2 hotels 3 bed and breakfasts, 3 more restaurants without a bar, kyacking, sailboating, bicycling, a health club with a pool, 2 tennis courts and a theater(not the kind for movies) At least 150-200 of the 900 people are single. Rents go from 450-1200 a month with 650 being for a 2 bedroom with garage and 2 baths. Houses for sale run from about 200,000-700,000. The pay here is pretty bad and the closest town with lots of stores is about 25 miles away. We're located on a very large(wide)river and the actual ocean beach is about 25 miles away also.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:42 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,516,535 times
A small town that is near a large city might be what you are looking for. At one time, I lived in a town of 600, but we were on the train line into Philly. It was a great quality of life, but only 15 minutes into the city. Made social engagements very easy. I also found that there were lots of activities for singles. Since I had a very friendly dog, I got to know everyone. It was a great area, and I really wished that I had stayed there.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
The small town I live in has about 900 people. There are 5 restaurant/bars, a coffee house,2 hotels 3 bed and breakfasts, 3 more restaurants without a bar, kyacking, sailboating, bicycling, a health club with a pool, 2 tennis courts and a theater(not the kind for movies) At least 150-200 of the 900 people are single. Rents go from 450-1200 a month with 650 being for a 2 bedroom with garage and 2 baths. Houses for sale run from about 200,000-700,000. The pay here is pretty bad and the closest town with lots of stores is about 25 miles away. We're located on a very large(wide)river and the actual ocean beach is about 25 miles away also.
Now that's the type of area that I'd be interested in.(if i were younger)

I remember a small place in Michigan called Hoxyville. There's a country store and gas station at an intersection(crossroads), down the road is a church and a coutry school. Pop,unknown, but this can be found on the map (above Grand Rapids......outside of Cadillac,Mi.)

There are also some simular places in Oklahoma, velma and Brea. Pop, under 500.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,655 times
Hello, looking to interview single women living in small towns. I am a Boston author and filmmaker, currently making a documentary called "Seeking Happily Ever After" ([URL="http://www.seekinghappilyeverafter.com"]www.seekinghappilyeverafter.com[/URL]) and writing a companion book that is "a feel-great guide to being single while seeking your own happily-ever-after" for Penguin next year.
One of the chapters is on being single in a small-town where most people are hitched. Am looking for someone women to interview about their experiences. What are the most challenging aspects of being single in a small town? How do you deal with it? That kind of thing. Would you be interested?
Best,
Michelle ([EMAIL="michelle@seekinghappilyeverafter.com"]michelle@seekinghappilyeverafter.com[/EMAIL])

Old 10-21-2009, 04:36 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,487,062 times
I live in a small town and there is no one my age here. I would love to be in a town where I could meet people and eligible bachelors. The only eligible bachelors my age in this town are meth addicts, men who enjoy living with parents, and men who enjoy unemployment, and criminals of course. I think I will just remain single until I can find a job and get out of here.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:25 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I live in a small town and there is no one my age here. I would love to be in a town where I could meet people and eligible bachelors. The only eligible bachelors my age in this town are meth addicts, men who enjoy living with parents, and men who enjoy unemployment, and criminals of course. I think I will just remain single until I can find a job and get out of here.
Where's here?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 PM

15,592 posts, read 7,664,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
In your opinion what is the smallest sized rural town that is reasonably priced where a single person can move to and live without being treated like an outcast?

I'm asking about the size of a town, not the name of the town itself (unless you want to tell me)

I've heard once that the population should be at least 30,000 and if it's less than that the town is usually unique enough (ie.: vacation destination) whereas the cost of living is very high. Does this sound accurate/inaccurate?

I would say 30K.

I love life in the country except for this subject at hand. I gave up looking in towns near me. Most singles move away for jobs and the allure of the city. Most that stay seem to not have amounted to anything but being a single mom with an absent father(s). Sad. I've worked too hard in life to want to deal with their crappy decisions.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,288,026 times
If you just mean accepted as unmarried I think there are a good deal of small-towns that accept not everyone will be married. Judging by statistics I'd guess this might be less true if the place is Mormon and more true if it has a good deal of non-Hindu non-Protestants. (Hindus have a low percentage of singles)

Comparative Religions - U.S. Religious Landscape Study - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

If you want a singles-scene many are right that it's probably college towns, towns over 30K, or towns near at least a small-city.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:45 PM

49 posts, read 44,093 times
Default Problems with small towns

In a small community with small towns scattered about the problem is if you get a bad reputation you can't shake it. The people in this area talk like no where I've ever seen. There isn't much activities to do around here, except the usual and that's why there are so many bars. In an area 25 mile radius there must be 80 bars. This an area that has maybe 18,000 people. It's ridiculous. In this area they have the highest percentage of drunk driving arrests.

Places like this the peer pressure to drink is great. You can't have a picnic, Labor Day gathering, or any event that people aren't drunk. When you think about it they aren't living. I mean if you're going to get drunk you should just stay home.

Outside of bars, bowling, dining and movie theater there isn't much else. I've been to resort places like the Smoky Mountains. They cater to people and there are so many outdoor activities you could do a different one each day for a month. Plus so many restaurants and festivals it's unreal.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 PM

49 posts, read 44,093 times
Default small towns

Pick a resort town. Within 5 miles you can do any kind of activity. You don't even need a car if your work is not far. In the near future that could be a huge saving. I mean you can easily have $10,000 a year in a car with gas and insurance. So it would be a huge savings not to have this expense. People don't think about it but those $500 car payments every month for 40 years is a bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living