U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM

401 posts, read 1,354,441 times

Advertisements

I know people who have let cell phone companies put towers on their land. You can make anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars a month. I don't know that you can just call them up and ask to have one put on your land, all the people I know who've had them were approached by the tower companies because of their location. Of course, your neighbors may not like that idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,866,032 times
Medical marijuana.

Or some exotic animal for their wool, like an angora goat.

Or ask around for local producers who need organic produce.

I've heard many stories where some of our farmers have nearly gone broke due to drought then hit on a desperate idea and made a fortune.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,627,957 times
You might try offering the use of the property to film producers for film a making location.
The bee keeping idea is good as the worlds honey bees are declining and more bee keepers may help stem the decline. I love honey. ~♥~
Another Idea would be to create a motocross track.
A bad Idea would be to let those rainbow family folks gather on it.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 AM

4,063 posts, read 3,726,596 times
Paintball arena.
Bees would be dependant on crops that are grown nearby, but a good choice.
A small outdoor event venue. Build a small covered dining area with a playground or hiking trails.
A village that would depict life in California from the earliest known inhabitants to maybe the Gold Rush.
Pick your own strawberries. Maybe blueberries as well.
Primitive cabins, then again maybe not. Would probably need more acreage for that.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:08 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,384,197 times
I see the origin of this thread is four years old, however...

I say try planting seedlings of popular, native plants. Sell them after a few months. Your initial investment will be minimal. You won't have to wait for years to sell a mature plant, and landscapers and greenhouses just might buy by the hundreds. You won't make as much per plant as you would a full grown tree or bush, but then you'll also have more room to propogate more.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 57,132 times
HI,

FWIW here are a few thoughts depending on the lay of you land:

hiking trails, bike trails, shooting range, outdoor flea market / yard sale area, rent out garden space, if pond present stick w/ fish and rent out time fishing, driving range (golf), soccer field, remote control airplane field, remote control car track etc...

Andrew

Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 AM

834 posts, read 967,045 times
Reg. AGRICULTURE

Get together with the USDA folks at your local extension office to see what type of soil you have on your acreage and what can grow in your region. Cooperative Extension System Offices
They can also direct you towards grants and low interest loans.

If you have to cut your existing trees and build road ways make sure you get a grubbing & grading permit from your county.

You may do a business plan first, so you know what sells and what your overhead costs will be. Be prepared that you have little profit in anything agriculturally. But much work. Don't do wholesale but stuff you can sell on farmers markets or direct to end customers. Otherwise you'll never make a profit.

Other ideas:
Check what your county says regarding zoning and what you are allowed to do. Windmill tower? Paintball range? Maybe you can cooperate with a local drug rehab or low security prison for doing some work/therapy program there. Start an annual art festival with your community (week of rock or wood sculpting work shops; poetry camp; horse painting i.e.). These things quickly become tourist events and help other local business as well. How about becoming the launch area for hot air balloons in your area? A refuge for aging Hollywood chimps (Easy to do an annual fund raiser for something like this.). An obstacle course for family entertainment (sports & fun) with rural barn restaurant. Call galleries of established environmental artists and offer each an acre. Alert the art press and museums. Make the whole area a museum afterwards and non profit. Become the chairman of your non-profit and pay yourself 99% of the visitors income as salary.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 AM

631 posts, read 1,740,839 times
What do you think you can grow?

Do you own any farming equipment?
Do you have any farm structures like a barn, shed or chicken coop?
How much can you afford to invest in time and money?
Do you have anyone else in your family who will be helping?
You said your land is in soCal, do you have access to water year round?
What is your land zoned, can you just start farming if you wanted?
Have you considered what your land cost you now in taxes and can you start with cutting your costs/property taxes first?
Are you familiar with how you can cut taxes?
Were in soCal are you what is your climate now and predicted in 3 - 5 yrs?

Here is my story and it may help;
in 2009 I purchased my grandparents summer property in NY north west of the Catskills. I have vacant land 135ac of mixed woodland, fields, good old federal wetlands and overgrown pasture. 95 acres of woodland, 12ac of hay fields and I am lucky that I was able to get someone to cut/hay it for free, 13 of federal wetlands that I am not "allowed" to touch, 15ac of fields that had ranged from very over grown pasture, not good for hay to so over grown there were 20ft trees in it.

I have been struggling with what can a absentee owner grow or raise, how can I make money?

As one suggested I thought on top of the 2200ft peak that I own a cell tower, so far no one is interested. This past winter I contacted a small wind turbine company and found out the great american lie, you can generate and use your own electricity but the utility will only buy a small percentage above your usage and the overage is free.

I am lucky because I do have revenue to invest but there need to be a return on investment at some point. I chose to by a new tractor vs a used because I would of had no place to work, repair or service it properly.

I got the tractor because I wanted to open up the fields again and as they say there is a tool for every job and walking around with heavy duty weed wacker just was not going to do the job.

I now pay apr 350 mo bill for the tractor NH T1530, 6ft brush cutter and loader. As my wife and I now mid 50's started to cut and drag small trees while clearing the fields QUICKLY decided to invest another 2.2k in a grapple. Now so far all of this can and will be used during timberland improvement but that is still far down the road, one because the road(s) do not exist yet on my very hilly woodland acres.

So this is the first year I have a tax deduction as a ag assessment on the acres that are being hayed.

I decided to plant Christmas trees for a deduction next year. Now the 520 trees cost about 480.00 and of course you can't just put them in the ground so my new $2000.00 3pt rototiller helped open up rows but only went down 6 -7 inches and the remaining 5 inches I had to did in heavy compact stone soil. I will get an additional 2- 3 acres ag deduction for that.

I want to contact a beekeeper and have him/her place hives because you get a deduction for that. Of course I am sure the beekeeper will say yes if I provided the protection from the bears with solar electric fencing. BTW you starting your own beekeeping maybe your best bet to get started.

Because you have a mix of open and covered areas, you may want to find out what is best suited now with out much change, modification or investment. For example in my area we have natural ginseng and it can fetch up to 700 lb, for me this is not work well due to poachers.

Then there are mushrooms, medicinal herbs a whole variety of things. What there is not is an easy answer. Go to your local cooperate, college extension ask questions and learn as much as possible.

But do try to answer the prior questions if only for yourself. What ever you do pick something you like, it will be hard and long term.

Join farm forums, find local like mined people, cooperatives, community gardens and community gardeners and farmers and there is a difference between the 2.

I have also realized my best opportunity may be in selling a natural resource, some are already expecting me to say gas but I have been thinking water. Then my usage bill will sky rocket and a turbine would make sense.

Good Luck,
Mike

Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,271 times
anyone farming angora goats in Hawaii? Selling angora goats? Please let us know. We have a property in Hamakua.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living