U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:42 PM

121 posts, read 310,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
Could anyone suggest to me what type of livestock could I keep, or crops that I could grow, on 5 acres in Winslow Arizona?

I was thinking breeding mule deer or grazing Bison because I've read that this wouldn't require too much active intervention other than fencing (and providing water in the latter case) - is this correct?
Llamas are pretty low maintenance. They don't eat much, and what they do eat doesn't have to be high quality. They can withstand bad weather and aren't hard to keep inside the fence. (unless you happen to have two males) As long as there is snow, you don't even have to water them.

Plus, they're cheap. They're so useless you might be able to pick one up for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,395 times
My parents live in Arizona and actually there is quite a bit of Ag going on there. And if you do some research you might find there is a big business in palm trees, easily acquired on internet or nursery. Also there is fruit and citrus trees that do very well. As for vegetable gardening, I think the irrigating and maintanence on a veggie garden would be alot. I live in Oklahoma and we hardly water anything here except in the middle of summer. There is alot you can do with 5 acres actually. Alpacas is a good idea too. There is a big market in the west for exotics of any kind. There are some pretty exotic chickens as well. Good luck to you.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
Alpacas ?

I believe the guy who convinced people to raise them was named Bernie Maddoff.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,758,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have been amazed at how many good folk decide to settle in deserts, thinking there is plenty of water to support densely populated tract housing.

I like gardening, crops, orchards, pastures, forests, rivers, livestock running around; things that are hard to do without water.

I do understand the importance of water.

It would be foolish to under-estimate the importance of water.
Or a large animal veterinarian if you can't take care of them by yourself.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Or a large animal veterinarian if you can't take care of them by yourself.
To my observation anyone who herds livestock usually takes on Vet medicine as a hobby.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:03 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,798,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
Could anyone suggest to me what type of livestock could I keep, or crops that I could grow, on 5 acres in Winslow Arizona? I have other sources of income and no previous farming experience so I'm obviously not expecting to grow (or raise) anything too complex, too time consuming, or to make any significant amount of money from my "ranchette". However, one of the reasons why I am considering a move to the Mountain West is so that I can experience a piece of the lifestyle of the "Gentleman Rancher" (and yes, I understand that agricultural life is far less romantic for those who rely on farming as their sole source of income).

I was thinking breeding mule deer or grazing Bison because I've read that this wouldn't require too much active intervention other than fencing (and providing water in the latter case) - is this correct?
I do not know first hand, but I am told that you have to have UNBELIEVABLE fencing for bison because they can get through practically anything. Big investment there. Also bison *can* be very dangerous, from what I hear.

I would consider raising herbs. They are low maintenance and very profitable.

Check out gardening with mulch by Ruth Stout here Ruth Stout' s System And here Mulching Ruth Stout Style (http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-5-19-189,00.html - broken link) and here:

YouTube - Ruth Stout's Garden; Part 1 of 3

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-07-2010, 03:49 PM

31 posts, read 86,152 times
Look into Square Foot farming- you can do some pretty amazing stuff that way on small acreage.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,624 times
On 5 acres of land, you could raise chickens. Winslow is arid and windy. It is high desert. Summers are hot and winters are temperate. We do get cold weather and snow, but it doesn't last long. We like it here and wouldn't trade it for anything.

We live outside of Winslow and raise our own vegetables as well as some chickens. We have our own well. We also have a nice lake which is on SR 99. A lot of fishing, picnicking and swimming is done there.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,267,407 times
how about a couple of nubian goats, you can breed them to boers for meathy kids, great milk and theyll love the hot dry summers and need brush rather than grass...they will need some extra warmth in the winter though, nubians like warmth.

theres plenty of chickens that do well in hotter climates, great for eggs and meat (and fertilizer)

hare might do well too, but not rabbit, they overheat too easily...good for meat and pelts.

llama and alpaca are cool if youve got plenty of grazing, if not youve got alot of suplimental feed for an animal thats primarily used for wool (their meat is used in some countries, but not so much in the us) youve also got the issues of shearing. alpaca/llama dung is good fertilizer though and their wool is great but i dont know how worth it it would be on a small scale.

i have no idea what the growing zone is and what your irrigation rights are, while im sure there are plenty of fruits and veggies that will do well i cant help much there.
orchards tend to require lots of water as do many veggie gardens so your water rights will definatly effect.

personally i feel you can easily have a HOMESTEAD on 5 acres if you plan it right...
but WATER is going to be the key.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,169 times
Ok Winslow Arizona and 5 Acres, Chickens (eggs), 2-4 goats (milk, cheese, chevron), you need a well watered pasture 2 acres or you have to supliment grazing which will kill you financially. if you have chickens you will need a sheep dog to keep the coyotes at bay, you can grow plums, strawberries and blueberries or rasberries but you need bird netting. couple of peach or apple trees maybe even a cherry ...but you need water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living