U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM

93 posts, read 227,577 times

Advertisements

Could anyone suggest to me what type of livestock could I keep, or crops that I could grow, on 5 acres in Winslow Arizona? I have other sources of income and no previous farming experience so I'm obviously not expecting to grow (or raise) anything too complex, too time consuming, or to make any significant amount of money from my "ranchette". However, one of the reasons why I am considering a move to the Mountain West is so that I can experience a piece of the lifestyle of the "Gentleman Rancher" (and yes, I understand that agricultural life is far less romantic for those who rely on farming as their sole source of income).

I was thinking breeding mule deer or grazing Bison because I've read that this wouldn't require too much active intervention other than fencing (and providing water in the latter case) - is this correct?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,683,788 times
I think your plans you have in mind would work better on 500 acres, rather than 5 acres.

I know people with just lawns that size.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:33 AM

Is there any agricultural activity that one could carry out on 5 acres ?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,998,630 times
It would depend on where you live, and what type of land you have. I would suggest you talk with your local agriculture rep. most rural counties have one. Also, what type of farming goes on in this area.

AZ is very much desert so you would need irrigation rights too.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Navajo county doesn't seem to have an agriculture representative - should I just ask the local chamber of commerce?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM

350 posts, read 1,022,811 times
Maybe you could raise alpacas.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:51 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,998,630 times
Here are the people you need to talk to about your 5 acres and what you can do with it.

Navajo County (http://www.azda.gov/Main/navajo.htm - broken link)

the department of agriculture for your state will have pretty much the info you need.

do you have H20 rights?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,536,245 times
I think the best thing to start with would be a vegetable garden. After growing the garden for a few years, see which vegetables do best in your area, and then, if you wish to raise them as a cash crop, you can do so. I would recommend starting with the basics: peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, beans, peas, corn, and squash, to start with. In colder weather, you might be able to also grow broccoli and some other cold climate veggies.

As for animals, five acres isn't very large. You could have one or two goats, and some chickens, but that's about all I'd recommend. Any larger animal would require more space, or a lot of supplemental feed. Even goats and chickens would require some of that. It can be done, but you won't have enough land to support large animals with grazing alone.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 AM

477 posts, read 590,836 times
5 acres = 1 cow, have fun!

Old 03-08-2009, 02:00 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,884,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
Could anyone suggest to me what type of livestock could I keep, or crops that I could grow, on 5 acres in Winslow Arizona? I have other sources of income and no previous farming experience so I'm obviously not expecting to grow (or raise) anything too complex, too time consuming, or to make any significant amount of money from my "ranchette". However, one of the reasons why I am considering a move to the Mountain West is so that I can experience a piece of the lifestyle of the "Gentleman Rancher" (and yes, I understand that agricultural life is far less romantic for those who rely on farming as their sole source of income).

I was thinking breeding mule deer or grazing Bison because I've read that this wouldn't require too much active intervention other than fencing (and providing water in the latter case) - is this correct?
Nothing. That is just a big lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living